PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding STI lever installation on carbon bar

FMS_rider
02-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I am installing 10-speed Shimano STI levers on a new FSA SL-K Compact bar (carbon/kevlar) that, as described in their literature, has "reinforced and textured clamping areas". Unfortunately, the textured area is too low to completely overlap the metal clamps on the levers at the location I would like to install them.

Does anyone know if I am going to get into trouble if only 1/2 the width of the metal clamp extends into the textured region? In other words is it possible that there is a reinforced region in the bends that is restricted to the region with the anti-slip surface texture? I am not worried about the clamps slipping, only about breakage. I cannot find relevant information on the FSA web site.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer my question.
Lew

fixednwinter
02-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I have 10sp Dura-Ace levers on the FSA K-Force Compact Shallow Carbon bars installed on my Colnago Master XL, well above the textured area. Have been riding them since late summer, and no slippage problems at all.

For another opinion on this, check out Pez Cycling's review of the FSA's carbon bars. The reviewer there had the same issue, in wanting to position their Campy Ergo levers above the textured area. Did so, and I don't believe they had any issues either.

swoop
02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
use some tacx dynamic carbon paste and enjoy. cc sells it.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/2008-tacx-dynamic-carbon-assembly-paste-3321_52_TRUE.html

Satellite
02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I also have the FSA Compact K-Force Bars with DA 10sp. I mounted mine high on the bars intended mounting surface. I would like to see some photo of your mounting location. I thought I might have wanted mine a little higher also but after mounting them in the proper location, they feel very natural.

As far as the mounting areas, I think it is just there for slippage reasons.

I would like to know how everyone likes the higher mounting for DA 10sp.

Best Bars I have ever used.

Satellite

FMS_rider
02-18-2008, 05:57 AM
This place never ceases to amaze me --exactly the information I needed overnight!
I have 10sp Dura-Ace levers on the FSA K-Force Compact Shallow Carbon bars installed on my Colnago Master XL, well above the textured area. Have been riding them since late summer, and no slippage problems at all.

For another opinion on this, check out Pez Cycling's review of the FSA's carbon bars. The reviewer there had the same issue, in wanting to position their Campy Ergo levers above the textured area. Did so, and I don't believe they had any issues either.The Pez review was particularly convincing. I spent quite some time on Google looking for reviews before posting and am surprised that it did not pop up.

My concern was that since "reinforced and textured" are linked in the company's description that there is a hidden increase in thickness of the carbon (inside not outside) that is restricted to the region with the texture at the surface. Since the FSA crew undoubtedly gave the Pez review a hard look, if that were the case I am confident that they would have sounded the alarm if placing the clamp above the textured area is a safety issue. I guess I have to start going to the Pez site for information, not just the podium girls.

I also have the FSA Compact K-Force Bars with DA 10sp. I mounted mine high on the bars intended mounting surface. I would like to see some photo of your mounting location. I thought I might have wanted mine a little higher also but after mounting them in the proper location, they feel very natural.

As far as the mounting areas, I think it is just there for slippage reasons.

I would like to know how everyone likes the higher mounting for DA 10sp.

Best Bars I have ever used.

SatelliteI have been using the aluminum version the SL-K compact ("Pro Wing Compact") on my steel bike and love it, not just because of the shallow drop and classic bend but because I can get a flat transition from the bar to hood with Shimano STIs while maintaining an easy reach to the levers. In order to position STIs at the same location on the SL-K it is necessary for the clamp to be partially above the textured area.

With other bars I have used the levers have angled out too far when I mounted them high enough to get a flat top. Also, I ride a lot in the drops (I ride alone so use them for long periods into headwinds), and since I am not as flexible as I used to be the shallow drop is perfect.

I will be posting pictures of my new bike (Legend) with the SL-K bar in the near future and will make sure I include one that shows how I have the bar and the levers positioned.

use some tacx dynamic carbon paste and enjoy. cc sells it.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/2008-tacx-dynamic-carbon-assembly-paste-3321_52_TRUE.html I have a packet of Ritchey's version of the anti-slip paste that I intend to use. However it comes as a miniscule quantity in a flat sealed pack for something like $5 --clearly intended for a single use. I will check out the Tacx version to see if is packaged in more convenient fashion.

Thanks guys,
Lew

edit: Swoop: I just noticed your link for the tacx compound (daaaaa) --I am about to place an order to CC since it comes in a reusable container and sounds like it may be more generally useful than the Ritchey product. Thanks again.

Satellite
02-18-2008, 11:37 AM
My search began because the reach on the bike was just a bit too long. It was buy either a new stem or a new bar. Well my stem is a Moots Open Road Stem ($375) and my bar was a Deda Newton ($90). Much cheaper to replace my bar and upgrade to a carbon in the process.

I had been looking at the Easton SLX. Reading reviews and trying to find the bar at a reasonable price. I made my way into the Colorado Cyclist and asked for the Easton and Deda so I could compare the two. The sales representative recommended FSA's Carbon Compact he thought it was exactly what I was looking for. I thought about it for a minute and said bring me every bar you have. When I did a side-by-side compare of every bar CC carries it was a no brainer FSA Carbon Compact.

The FSA Carbon Compact has completed my bike fit perfectly. My only regret was I did not do this sooner. I would have paid twice what the bar cost. I was worried the fitter had messed up my frame geometry and I would need to order a smaller frame. Nope this bike fits perfect with the use of the FSA Carbon Compact. To anyone else considering this bar just remember your stem might be shorter because the hood are closer to the stem. Oh, I also like the drops flared out just slightly. In any position in the drops, my wrists never contact the upper bar (this was a big problem with the Deda).

Satellite

Dave
02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I rode these bars most of last season with Campy ergo levers mounted well above the textured area with no problem.

That said, I found the reach to the brake levers to be longer than any bar I've used in years. I've got an easy fix to that problem, so it was not an issue either.

The brake hoods on mine were a full 2cm closer together than the tips of the bars, so you might need one size wider than normal.

The reach was bout 10mm closer than my previous Easton EC-90 Equipe bars.

I still like the EC-90 Equipe better, so I'm switching back to them, or perhaps the new SLX3 or aero model for the coming season.

swoop
02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
the 2008's have a very short 80mm reach... are you sure you're thinking of the same bar?