PDA

View Full Version : Nice New Narrow Saddle

caleb
02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Today I saw the new Selle San Marco Zancolan saddles in person.

I couldn't help but think that this is a saddle designed by riders, not marketing departments. I don't think the saddle's aesthetics will sell it, and I admire them for making it functional first of all.

Here's what I liked:

The nose is thickly padded. It's designed to be comfortable when you're in the drops. It's designed for racing.

Also, it's narrow at the midpoint. If the Arione is shaped like a triangle, the Zoncolan is shaped like a "Y" - there's less material right between your legs rubbing on your crotch.

And, it's 125mm wide at the back. Props to Selle for making a saddle for smaller guys.

I don't have any connection to SSM, but I'll be trying one of these as soon as I can (they're saying to expect them in a few weeks).

regularguy412
02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Looks like a nice saddle, but there doesn't appear to be much fore/aft adjustment room on the rails. I'm a Selle Italia guy, but I'd try it. I find that a 127-134 width saddle fits me best. I'm currently on a Selle Italia SLK (no gel).

Mike in AR :D

Smiley
02-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Brooks Swallow at 155 mm with plenty of rails and a $ 400 price tag to boot :)

jsfoster
02-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Saddle seems confusing to me. Isn't the rail supposed to be basically parallel tothe top tube, which the seat post clamps seem to be? If so, then the top of the saddle is sloping way down forward. :crap:
Must be a photo error or something
- Jon

bnewt07
02-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Looks rather nice but then you cannot really judge a saddle until you've ridden it several times. It looks a bit like the Fizik Gobi on my MTB, a narrower waist and then a nice padded wider rear section so you can move around a bit in different positions etc.

Recently I've found that Selle Italia have generally got narrower. I always seemed to get comfy on older models but the new range is not good for me.

I'm just getting used to an Arione on my new bike and really impressed so far.

Blue Jays
02-18-2008, 01:53 AM
"...Brooks Swallow at 155 mm with plenty of rails and a $ 400 price tag to boot :)..."Smiley, are you saying that you like the Brooks Swallow or that you find it too expensive, even with the 155mm of rear width? I'm trying to understand your post because that is a model that I'm possibly considering for a "fendered racebike" that I'll be building in the coming months. Truly classic look, yet slim for unimpeded leg travel and with modern titanium hardware. Do you like yours? What kind of break-in time did you experience? Thanks much.

With regard to the Selle San Marco Zancolan it does look like that nose will prevent sliding. While I'm happy with Selle Italia SLR saddles, I'm always willing to experiement on new bikes being built. Preferred the Selle San Marco Concor models for years.

R2D2
02-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Smiley, are you saying that you like the Brooks Swallow or that you find it too expensive, even with the 155mm of rear width? I'm trying to understand your post because that is a model that I'm possibly considering for a "fendered racebike" that I'll be building in the coming months. Truly classic look, yet slim for unimpeded leg travel and with modern titanium hardware. Do you like yours? What kind of break-in time did you experience? Thanks much.

With regard to the Selle San Marco Zancolan it does look like that nose will prevent sliding. While I'm happy with Selle Italia SLR saddles, I'm always willing to experiement on new bikes being built. Preferred the Selle San Marco Concor models for years.

I've ridden a Swallow since they where re-introduced.
It is very slim. Some don't like that and the Pro is a better choice.
It is very sensitive to adjustment. In otherwords you need to get the back flat and the nose slightly up. Also if you ever find youself riding back on the rivets you may need to slide it back a cm. Finally I have the Limited Edition with sides rolled under and stitched. It never ceases to get comments.