PDA

View Full Version : Internal Cable Routing problem

handsomerob
02-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I just got my Davidson back from the powder coater and the rear brake cable will not route through the internal cable routing. The internal routing is for the cable and has "stops" at both ends. So this is not the kind where the housing is routed through it.

Is there something inside the tube that could have melted in the oven? If so, am I SOL?

Signed,

Frustrated in Memphis

David Kirk
02-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Do you have a piece of stiff wire you can try to feed through. I'll bet it's just a wad of powder at the end that melted and cured.

Can you get the cable started in at all?

dave

handsomerob
02-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Do you have a piece of stiff wire you can try to feed through. I'll bet it's just a wad of powder at the end that melted and cured.

Can you get the cable started in at all?

dave

I can get it about .5-.75cm through the hole in the stop in the front and none in the back. I tried to thread a 15g spoke with the threaded part clipped and it won't budge.

mschol17
02-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Call Roto-rooter?

handsomerob
02-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Call Roto-rooter?

I don't think they have a snake that thin.... but thanks for the suggestion. :beer:

Louis
02-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I can get it about .5-.75cm through the hole in the stop in the front and none in the back.

Certainly in back, and hopefully also in front, you ought to be able to see what is obstructing the cable. Maybe you need to be a bit more aggressive. Dremel tool with small drill bit? (only if you can see what you're going after)

Blue Jays
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Can you try inserting a narrow-gauge borelight so you can first identify what is causing the blockage? It will give you a MUCH clearer picture than a regular flashlight.

http://www.buymilsurp.com/zencart/images/AA33BORELIGHT.JPG

dvs cycles
02-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Blow some air through it to make sure it is coming out the right hole then try some wd40 or something. Try spinning the cable as you push it in.

peter weigle
02-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Insert an old cable into the tunnelas far as it will go in, then make a mark about 3-4-5" further out from the tunnel.
(You might want to tape some padding and some extra tape near rhe entrance in and in the immediate vacinity in case this gets away from you...)
Cut the cable and chuck it up in a slow speed cordless drill.
Feed the cable into the hole and then slowly turn the drill on,, have the bike in a good stand and put fingers around the short exposed cable,, see if it feeds in, sometimes reversing the drill helps,, try both ways?
You may have to repeat this a few times with successive longer lengths of cable to get way in.
Don't attempt to do this with too long a piece as it will "wrap up" and all hell will break loose.
I have been successful with this technique many times over.
It is like a mini ROTO Rooter.
Compressed air is handy to blow out the grit paint or whatever after you get all the way through.

Disclaimer,,,
IF you are not confident in your abilities,, or are kind of careless, or good things NEVER happen to you,,,or you don't have a secure stand you may want to rethink doing it your self.
If you lived down the street I'd say bring it over and I'd do it for you..

Go slowly and take your time!

Best of luck,,,

Jeff N.
02-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Maybe try a wire coat hanger? Or is that maybe too big to fit in? Jeff N.

mschol17
02-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Disclaimer,,,
IF you are not confident in your abilities,, or are kind of careless, or good things NEVER happen to you,,,or you don't have a secure stand you may want to rethink doing it your self.

Best of luck,,,

i.e. If you aren't JP Weigle... :no:

handsomerob
02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Insert an old cable into the tunnelas far as it will go in, then make a mark about 3-4-5" further out from the tunnel.
(You might want to tape some padding and some extra tape near rhe entrance in and in the immediate vacinity in case this gets away from you...)
Cut the cable and chuck it up in a slow speed cordless drill.
Feed the cable into the hole and then slowly turn the drill on,, have the bike in a good stand and put fingers around the short exposed cable,, see if it feeds in, sometimes reversing the drill helps,, try both ways?
You may have to repeat this a few times with successive longer lengths of cable to get way in.
Don't attempt to do this with too long a piece as it will "wrap up" and all hell will break loose.
I have been successful with this technique many times over.
It is like a mini ROTO Rooter.
Compressed air is handy to blow out the grit paint or whatever after you get all the way through.

Disclaimer,,,

Best of luck,,,

Slow speed drill with a 15 gauge spoke that I clipped both ends off of... turns out there was a plastic sleeve inside the top tube between the cable stops that was split and torn. The sleeve was what was preventing the cable from being inserted.

Thank you sir... first your help with this and now I need to get a can of your frame saver.

Blue Jays
02-16-2008, 10:30 PM
/\/\ Great news. Feel the love! Awww, shoot....go whole hog and order a new J.P. Weigle frameset!

handsomerob
02-16-2008, 10:43 PM
/\/\ Great news. Feel the love! Awww, shoot....go whole hog and order a new J.P. Weigle frameset!

I don't know of anyone that crafts a better randonneur than Peter. If I had the budget, I would place an order in a heartbeat. Nitto everything, including racks and moustache bars, Brooks for hands and arse....

The best part would be the ability to step back and let him make the call on paint and geometry.

avalonracing
02-17-2008, 02:08 AM
it will "wrap up" and all hell will break loose.

&
Disclaimer,,,
or good things NEVER happen to you

Not only was the tip helpful, it was damn funny! :D