PDA

View Full Version : 95 mile solo ride

flydhest
02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
So, I've been working like an idiot for the past several months. For those who know what I do, that may not be a surprise. I took today off work and went for a ride by myself. The riding I have been doing lately has mostly been for others. Leading the shop ride, doing skills training classes, that sort of thing. I got in a solo ride today that ended up being 95 miles. I had intended on a bit less, but hey. There's something satisfying and rejuvenating about getting in a long, reasonably hard solo ride every so often.

When I saw the computer, I thought about putting in another 5, but then I thought of one of my favorite things that BikeSnobNY wrote, which I paraphrase: a century is what real cyclists simply call a long ride.

Who cares about that extra five miles?

Kevan
02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Exactomento. Who cares about the miles? A ride is over when when it's over.

Too Tall
02-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Warms my heart knowing you did this for yourself buddy boy :) Without you , intact that is, the world is a bit dimmer and we depend on your light, wisdom and AW GEE HOW ABOUT THAT HUG? ;)

manet
02-15-2008, 09:18 PM
nice

Grant McLean
02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
go ahead and google "Mark Beaumont"

here's a hint:
http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Pedal-power-and-the-glory.3784901.jp

-g

djg
02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Excellent fly -- good day for it too.

DarrenCT
02-15-2008, 09:34 PM
go ahead and google "Mark Beaumont"

here's a hint:
http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Pedal-power-and-the-glory.3784901.jp

-g

wow

i think i could do that with a support team and lots and lots of beer

(who the hell am i kidding)

khjr
02-15-2008, 10:54 PM
a century is what real cyclists simply call a long ride. Who cares about that extra five miles?

Indeed - it's better to be free of that Base Ten slavery, anyway.

How many moments did you get in?

Ray
02-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Nice going Flyd,

Man, I'd be hard pressed to DRIVE 95 miles this time of year, let alone ride it. And if I did what you do in these trying times.....

fuggetabootit.

Glad to hear you could get a day for yourself. Hope you started off with a good espresso.

-Ray

RIHans
02-16-2008, 02:12 AM
I wish I had the time, and recovery time.

I did a quick 3 hours with some pals...52 degrees in S. NE today. After

2 3/4 hours yesterday...Easy spin to the park tomorrow with the i-pod on

shuffle.

Climb01742
02-16-2008, 06:42 AM
i snuck out, too, yesterday afternoon for a ride. it was nearly 50 here. fly, you rode far farther than i but i think i felt what you felt: the amazing medicinal effects of riding, and thinking, and looking, and smelling, and just plain living in the sun and wind. it is an antidote, isn't is?

Sandy
02-16-2008, 06:56 AM
So, I've been working like an idiot for the past several months. For those who know what I do, that may not be a surprise. I took today off work and went for a ride by myself. The riding I have been doing lately has mostly been for others. Leading the shop ride, doing skills training classes, that sort of thing. I got in a solo ride today that ended up being 95 miles. I had intended on a bit less, but hey. There's something satisfying and rejuvenating about getting in a long, reasonably hard solo ride every so often.

When I saw the computer, I thought about putting in another 5, but then I thought of one of my favorite things that BikeSnobNY wrote, which I paraphrase: a century is what real cyclists simply call a long ride.

Who cares about that extra five miles?

Heck- 95 is reasonably close to 100- Economists seldom get that close anyway. You must be a special one. Most predict a 100 mile ride...do 45-50 and say that they did a double century... :) :)

I was going to call you as I have been concerned since I hadn't seen any posts nor heard from anyone about Flydhest sightings. Glad that you sound ok. Hope that the Dr. and Lucy girl are doing great. You too, of course.

I adopted a dog- King- American Pit Bull Terrier- A wonderful guy- A sensitive little boy dressed in an adult pit bull costume. Great dog...Lots of people who know him really like him....he scares a few others.

Taking him to a training class today....if he does not eat me on the way. :rolleyes:

Scarey Sandy

keno
02-16-2008, 07:00 AM
one of the pleasures of riding with you is seeing the spare, clean (in some sense) appearance of your bike, i.e. no computer. Wassup? I'm hoping that dead reckoning was involved, and your awareness of the space/time continuum was key.

BTW, while you were riding I was reading an Elmore Leonard novel and napping (regardless of when you rode). Oooops, almost forgot Pilates in the am. Connie Pilates says "hello". She asks about you often. This will probably crush Smiley.

keno

znfdl
02-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Heck- 95 is reasonably close to 100- Economists seldom get that close anyway. You must be a special one. Most predict a 100 mile ride...do 45-50 and say that they did a double century... :) :)

As an Economist who does plenty of long rides, I take offense :no:

Fly nice job. If you ever want a riding partner drop me a line.

Ahneida Ride
02-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Nice going Flyd,

Man, I'd be hard pressed to DRIVE 95 miles this time of year, let alone ride it. And if I did what you do in these trying times.....

fuggetabootit.

Glad to hear you could get a day for yourself. Hope you started off with a good espresso.

-Ray

amen Fly !!! and perhaps finished with a good glass of red. ;)
See ya at TdFL

Ozz
02-16-2008, 12:11 PM
So, I've been working like an idiot for the past several months. ...
OK - now get back to work! ;)

(nice ride!)

:beer: :beer:

giordana93
02-16-2008, 12:20 PM
you just need to change your units: that was 155 km! I would need about 15 advils if I tried that this time of year

Brian Smith
02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Phew, I'm glad to see a post from Flydhest. I start to worry.

Chris
02-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Are you...Cupid?

Ginger
02-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Fly,

Good to see you out and about!

Ginger

vaxn8r
02-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Nice.......

flydhest
02-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words, all.
Keno, no such luck. This was on the Legend with the Powertap. Apparently 5-1/2 hours at 238 watts gets you 95 miles on the route I did. Felt like JRA* at the time.

RIHans, wish you had the time? Me too. I basically cordoned off a day and just TOLD everyone at work that I was not going to be in. They're screwed if I quit. As it turns out, I had to go in anyway, and rolled straight to work, and hit 91.8 when I got to the garage. They wanted to see me, so they had to deal with me in bike clothes.

Ozz, no need to worry, I did get back to work :)

It also helps with the flydhest weight-loss plan. I'm at about 187 for the first time in a while. Turns out, at mile 88, that fact didn't matter. Guess I should have ridden a ride longer than 40 miles in the past few months if I was gonna do 95 miles, oh well.

My plan is to get in 200 over the 4 days of my weekend. Did 30 today(had to do some work and put up some curtain rods for the Doctor), so I should be able to make it without to much worry.

*just ridin' along

david
02-16-2008, 04:58 PM
5 1/2 hours at 238 watts!
that's pretty good. :beer:

Blue Jays
02-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Great start to 2008 so early in the new season. You'll be riding like a locomotive come May/June at this rate. Congrats! :beer:

djg
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
you just need to change your units: that was 155 km! I would need about 15 advils if I tried that this time of year

Zactly ... it's all about the units of measurement. If you're into hundreds, whatever distance you ride is a hundred somethings, you just have to figure out what those things are.

Or not.

Pete Serotta
02-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Flydhest, glad ot hear you got out for a long and peaceful ride. I was also starting to worry about you.

Tell the fine Doctor hi also......

There is a bottle of red down here with you name on it, and a lady looking for you to cook us another one of those wonderful dinners of your. Honest, no talk about anything but wine and dogs. (Bring Lucy)

PETE

flydhest
02-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Pete,
If the Doctor hadn't been sick the last couple weeks, you would have got a phone call from us hitting you up for lodging. As it turned out, we stayed home so she could rest up.

The need to ride by myself (for myself) was brought home on Sunday's shop ride. 3-1/2 miles into it, a new rider flats. It's never good when you hear someone say "that's the second time today I'll have to change that tire." This is one for the story books. It was cold and he clearly didn't know how to change a tire in less than 30 minutes, so I did it for him so that the rest of the group wouldn't have to get cold. Get this (and, as Dave Barry says, I swear I'm not making this up) there was a broken chunk of a tire lever in his tire. I noticed (for you literary types, tragic ironic anticipation) that his rim strip was the cheap plastic stuff. Got it together and we roll. Sure enough, he flats at mile 15 or so. The damn rim tape. He makes it back, but begins to bonk with 8 miles to go. Despite my having checked in with new people that it was a 40 mile ride and getting assurances that they could do it based on their recent training, seems like he . . . err, exaggerated his ability.

To add insult to injury, another guy had his crank arm fall off. The freakin' crank arm. No one's multi tool had an allen wrench the right size. Turns out that the key to my garage works . . . somewhat. Three stops to torque it up, but we made it.

Next week's ride will begin with a discussion of the importance of bicycle maintenance and the tip jar for the shop mechanics.

Oh, and for the long weekend, a total of 225 miles. That only averages out to a bit more than 55 per day, but Saturday, all I could do was 25 to get some of the crap from the super long ride out of my legs. Yesterday, I had the benefit of rolling for a while with TooTall and the Queen.

Fixed
02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
bro that 's one more thing that I respect about you
mr.flydhest you are a great role model imho
cheers