PDA

View Full Version : A LBS Atta- Boy

dirtdigger88
08-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Last week I noticed a creak or a pop in the BB area of my Legend. With the TdFL just around the corner I knew I had to get that looked at. Just imagine the ribbing I would/could get if I show up with a bike less than 100%.
I know my LBS get VERY busy this time of the year. School is starting back at Wash. U and the shop sells a lot of bike this time of year. This also backs up the service department.
I emailed the owner and told him my problem and that I was leaving in less than a week, could he help me out. He says sure, bring the bike in and they will take care of it. I know at this point you are saying so what that is the LBSs purpose in life, right? It gets better. I dropped the bike off as I was leaving town for a work trip on Tuesday, the shop said they would have it done on Friday. Friday comes and they call and say it is done and ready for pick up. I was still out of town at the time.
Later on Friday night a buddy of mine calls me from the shop to say my bike was done and he would bring it too me if I wanted. The shop got on the phone to make sure I was cool with that- and sent my bike out with my pal.
The shop not only found the creak (front derailure) but trued my wheels, adjusted all my cables, and POLISHED my entire bike. I mean this thing looked like it was brand new. The bike was not filthy when I took it in by any means, but man it look great when it was done. To top it off, the guys charged me NADA, ZERO, ZIP for all of their effort.
First thing Saturday morning I took in bagles and cream cheese for the shop to say thanks and also to be able to thank them in person.
I know this is a long thread that doesn't say a whole lot, but what it does say is THANKS- to all the folks at Big Shark in St. Louis, you guys are the best in my book.

Jason :beer:

LowCel
08-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Great story...it's nice to hear good things about lbs's from time to time.

Serotta PETE
08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
It is nice to hear good things about the LBSs - - 99.8% of them really want to do good. (the .8% is from the math teacher aka Sandy.)

Additionally, it was very nice that you went out of your way to say thanks with a visit, bagels, and a real appreciation.

Relationships are a two way street, as we all know in our personal and business lives.

A well appreciated "thankyou" goes a long way....

Thanks Pete

AHava
08-23-2004, 03:30 PM
My wife lived just down the street during the last 4 of her 8 years at Wash. U. I've popped in during visits dozens of times, and they're friendly and knowledgable. They're also the lifeblood of St. Louis' racing scene.

Good people.

Ahava

D-Squared
08-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Creak in the front derailleur??? I've got a creak down there and it's not old age -- that's me. How could the front derailleur be causing a creak?
Thanks

dirtdigger88
08-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Creak in the front derailleur??? I've got a creak down there and it's not old age -- that's me. How could the front derailleur be causing a creak?
Thanks

Picture the seat tube being shaped like a pool cue- the fatter end towards the BB. The clamp for the derailleur is perfectly round- so you the clamp is not bitting with its entire surface- thus a creak as I pedal and flex the BB area. I know the shop added some grease to the area, I do not know if the moved the derailleur as well. Did I explain that well enough to make scence to those interested?

By the way- I have OS tubing

Jason

D-Squared
08-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks.

Would you say it's safe to assume that if I haven't had this creak before and it is now just showing up that it isn't my derailleur? Or could this be just now manifesting itself?