PDA

View Full Version : stem trouble

majorpat
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
OK, I am sure someone can answer this one:

I have a Nitto Technomic Deluxe quill stem I am inserting into my new frame. It has a 190mm insertion length and I can't get it to insert far enough. I get it about 10mm deeper than the min insertion and it just stops. No, I have not whacked it with a hammer...yet.
When I shine a light down the headtube I see some "rifling"in the fork (steel) but nothing that looks like it would obstruct the stem. What am I doing wrong and could the stem be too long at 190mm for my bike. It is a 53cm Viner with a normal looking headtube.
Thanks in advance for your assistance, oh geniuses of bicycles.
Pat

Grant McLean
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
The quill is too long for a 53cm frame.
It's going all the way into the steerer tube,
and bottoming out inside the tube.

The "rifling" will prevent the stem from going past that point.

You need a Nitto "dynamic" stem, which has a quill a few centimeters shorter.

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=nitto+dynamic&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

-g

majorpat
02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Dang! I thought that was what was happening, anybody want to buy a Nitto Technomic 100mm?
Thanks for the info, Grant.
Pat

FierteTi52
02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I posted in the classified before I read it here.
I had the same problem with quill being too long and bottoming out in the fork. My bike is a 1991 52cm Serotta NHX. I need a longer quill than a Nitto Pearl, so I cut the Technomic stem down with a hacksaw and it worked out just fine. Use blue masking tape and tape off following the original angle the wedge mates with and clean it up with a file.
Jeff

saab2000
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
This is how far stems should be insterted. Not more. Not less. Even if you need to file the bulging Cinelli stem to get it to go in further.....

Grant McLean
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I posted in the classified before I read it here.
I had the same problem with quill being too long and bottoming out in the fork. My bike is a 1991 52cm Serotta NHX. I need a longer quill than a Nitto Pearl, so I cut the Technomic stem down with a hacksaw and it worked out just fine. Use blue masking tape and tape off following the original angle the wedge mates with and clean it up with a file.
Jeff

As long as there are enough threads left on the expander bolt,
go ahead and cut it like FierteTi52 says. Measure twice, cut once.

-g

merckx
02-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Before you cut anything, I would try some K-Y.

gomez308
02-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Before you cut anything, I would try some K-Y.

Michael Scott, " That's what she said."

hybridbellbaske
02-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Hey majorpat,

As it happens, I do want to buy a 100mm technomic deluxe. How much do you want for it?

p.s. I am in Australia- but I get stuff shipped from the US quite regularly.

majorpat
02-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Sent PM

palincss
02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Dang! I thought that was what was happening, anybody want to buy a Nitto Technomic 100mm?

It's possible to saw a bit off the bottom end of a stem.

pale scotsman
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
This is how far stems should be insterted. Not more. Not less. Even if you need to file the bulging Cinelli stem to get it to go in further.....

Quill stems slammed all the way down look wack to me. This (http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Tour-de-France-Incomparable-Eddy-Merckx-Print-C10044915.jpeg) is how stems should be inserted in my book.