PDA

View Full Version : Sin City Cycling

PBWrench
08-23-2004, 09:08 AM
I've got a conference in Vegas this March and was wondering whether there are sufficient road cycling opportunities there to justify bringing a bike with me. Anyone have experience?

pbbob
08-23-2004, 03:44 PM
I went to vegas a month ago and didn't see any bikes and didn't really see any place where I would feel comfortable riding one and was glad I just left it at home.

M_A_Martin
08-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Sometimes forum poster AJ lives and rides out there. He may be able to help you. I've dropped him a note.

MadRocketSci
08-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Red Rocks National Monument is very nice...one way traffic, some climbing, and great scenery. Head north from the strip, go west on charleston, and when you've hit the edge of civilization park in the best buy or ralph's parking lot. Continue on west charleston until you hit the entrance to red rocks, and head on in! bikes get in free; cars don't :)

you could also try the lake mead area...i've never done it.

this might give you some more ideas:
http://www.lasvegascentury.org/

red rocks is also great for hiking, rock climbing, and bouldering...just be careful, i've seen helicopters hovering over the rocks rescuing day-hikers who've fallen. use your brain and it should be ok...

bcm119
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Second the Red Rocks recommendation. It has a "scenic drive" loop of about 11 miles of smooth, twisty road that takes you up to the edge of some nice desert cliffs, then jogs back to the main road and down to your starting point. Its a fantastic little afternoon training circuit if its not too hot.

Stewball
08-24-2004, 12:12 AM
The Red Rock Ride is the most traveled by bike out here. It's about three thousand feet of climbing, veiws are great, the ride down is fun. Most of the people I spoke with do the climb in about thirty minutes, the ride down takes about twenty, (for me, it depends on the mood but, I'm about average). Lance did the entire loop in thirty. The road going to the scenic loop is often added as part of the ride; you can get fifty to seventy miles out of it depending where you park.
There are pleanty of other places to ride but, not down by the Strip. If you want to dodge drunks it's a challange. I'm not saying I don't do it, it's just not recommended by most.
The average wind out here is eight to fourteen mph. Gust hit twenty to fifty.
Gettin late, gotta go.
Any questions write me at rajt@earthlink.net

Have fun,
A.J.