PDA

View Full Version : Favorite stage win

bigbill
02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Winter means trainer time and for me, that means cycling videos. Starting in the early 90's, I started taping the televised stages of the TDF and Tour du Pont. My favorite stage wins may seem somewhat obscure, but here they are:

1992 TDF Laurant Fignon winning Stage 11. His final hurrah.
1994 TDF Eros Poli winning the stage to Carpentras via Mont Ventoux. It provided inspiration to all us non-climbers.
1995 TdP Clark Sheehan in a two man break with Abdu winning the stage into Asheville with the leaders chasing down a slick Town Mountain road.

hybridbellbaske
02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
The Eros Poli stage is absolutely my favourite. It inspired me to actually go to France and climb Mont Ventoux myself!

J.Greene
02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Andy Hampsten on the Gavia #1 and Andy Hampsten on L'alpe. No compare atmo.

JG

Grant McLean
02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Steve Bauer - Tour 1988 - 1st Stage and 5 days in yellow

-g

BBB
02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I've always been a fan of the stage finishing up at Luz Ardiden in 1990 when LeMond wiped out most of Chiappuci's lead and Indurain won the stage after sitting on LeMond's wheel for the majority of the climb. Photo posted yesterday was from that stage. See:

forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38115&page=4

roman meal
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Andy Hampsten on the Gavia #1
JG

This thread is locked.

Viper
02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
This thread is locked......

Steve Hampsten
02-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry, but he didn't win - second to Breukink.

Lemond over Fignon in '89 was pretty sweet.

Viper
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry, but he didn't win - second to Breukink.

Lemond over Fignon in '89 was pretty sweet.

According to my atmo, he did win. There's all types of victory and that day was to many, a very big win. :beer:

Andy didn't win that stage, but he took the leader's jersey that day and went onto win it all (John Tesh told me so atmo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wPEymv-oQ

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5499

:cool:

Buzz
02-14-2008, 10:48 PM
The three most significant for American cycling - and interestingly, the Americans didn't win two of them:

#1 Hinault's stage win at L'Alp D'Huez in '86: Imagine that, an American rider - Lemond- "gifting" a stage win to the reigning 5 time champion. Lemond and Hinault's hand-in-hand arrival at the top, dominating the field, signaled the arrival of Lemond and the legitimacy of USA cycling. Since that day an American has won the the Tour 10 out of the last 21 times.

#2 Hampsten at the Gavia. An American on an American team wins the other major cycling stage race and in the utmost historic fashion by sealing his position on that day.

#3 Lemond beating Fignon in the final time trial at the '89 tour. Well, for me, that one is right up there with the US beating the Russians in Lake Placid at the '80 Olympics...and I was at that game. Truly, the stuff that dreams are made of.

quaintjh
02-15-2008, 07:12 AM
#3 Lemond beating Fignon in the final time trial at the '89 tour. Well, for me, that one is right up there with the US beating the Russians in Lake Placid at the '80 Olympics...and I was at that game. Truly, the stuff that dreams are made of.

This is one of those "do you remember where you were?" sort of moments atmo. (Others are 9/11 and the Challenger explosion--not nearly as happy :crap: ) It still can bring a tear if I dwell on it too long.