PDA

View Full Version : OT: Home Remodel

Russell
02-14-2008, 07:29 AM
My wife and I are looking to add on to our house and have the kitchen remodeled. In an attempt to "thin the herd" I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for a company that does home remodeling. Not looking for the top of the line, but a reliable company that does good work at a "reasonable" price (whatever that is).

Thanks

Blue Jays
02-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Why not have the builders incorporate design solutions to manage a growing stable of bicycles?

ti_boi
02-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Just make sure the contractor does Crown Molding....... :rolleyes:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27462&highlight=Crown+Molding

dwightskin
02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
You may want to spring for a "real" architect. Sometimes remodelers will build whatever you ask for. But then you get Exactly what you ask for. Which may not end up being what you wanted.

But an architect can ask what you want and then figure out what to build to meet your needs. And they have experience with how much space is needed for different activities, layouts, etc.

Dwight

J.Greene
02-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Is you mariage strong? If not, proceed with caution.

JG

Russell
02-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Is you mariage strong? If not, proceed with caution.

JG
My marriage would be at more risk if I don't do this. :)

J.Greene
02-14-2008, 09:00 AM
My marriage would be at more risk if I don't do this. :)

Please give updates..

JG

William
02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
You may want to spring for a "real" architect. Sometimes remodelers will build whatever you ask for. But then you get Exactly what you ask for. Which may not end up being what you wanted.

But an architect can ask what you want and then figure out what to build to meet your needs. And they have experience with how much space is needed for different activities, layouts, etc.

Dwight

Good advice.

Our house is in a historic district so any additions have to be approved. For our situation, hiring an architect will save lots of time and frustration with the commission, and ultimately the builder.

William

coopdog
02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Sounds like it is a good time to remodel. I've heard building materials are plummeting in price. A general contractor friend of mine has taken up remodeling again just to make ends meet.

peter weigle
02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
We are in the process of a large addition and house renovation right now.

We did have a trusted architect friend draw up a great set of plans.
We asked around ,a lot!, for contractors and sub, reccomendations.

By default I am acting as g.c.... ( I let the guys know I'm probably not qualified,,, but we couldn't afford a real one.) Would they be willing to work with me,, and kick me in the behind if I ever needed it. You know kind of a hat in the hand sort of approach.

We ended up with a local "team" of good guys who we trust. We pay them right away for their services and let them know how much we value the work they have done. They seem to rise to the occaison.
I think too often they are treated like "workers" and are only tollerated so they can get the work done.

We like these guys,, we keep it professional and feel they have done a great job for us.
If there is an issue, or a change, I ask them for their input and then weigh it all out, so far the results have been better than we hoped for.
We have a ways to go, but no problems or horror stories yet.

I would never! hire a "company" to do a remodel for me. I want a more personal connection to the job.

Best of luck!

Birddog
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I would never! hire a "company" to do a remodel for me. I want a more personal connection to the job.

If you hire the right Contractor, that's what you get. The biggest problem with homeowners acting as their own GC is when they put off making the nec decisions or don't get enough input before they do. It sounds like you don't have this problem, and believe me that is a good thing. I can't tell you how many jobs I've been on where the homeowner valued the advice of the plumber or electrician over the advice of the actual contractor. Too many times the advice of the subs is based on their part of the job only, and not the "big picture" and has to be changed before the "dream" is realized. Again, not saying this is your problem it's just something to be cautious about. Of course a good GC, has his own list of subs that he's comfortable working with and this isn't a problem for him.

"It's all brought to you by the magic of money, if you have the magic we can do anything you want"

Birddog

Tobias
02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
You may want to spring for a "real" architect.+1
Remodeling the kitchen is one thing, but adding on normally requires city permits, homeowner association approvals, etc... Real plans can help with the process.

If you act as the GC, make sure you understand the legal implications of paying the subcontractors.

rwsaunders
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Hire an architect who is respected by the local builders. I've seen too many architects who "moonlight" on home projects, and the quality of your drawings is directly proportional to their commitment to their day job. Also make sure that your architect carries professional liability insurance, as a misinterpretation of a building code will cost you in change orders.

It's a contractor's responsibility to implement and expedite the work that is described in the drawings. It's the architect's responsibility to develop the scope of work and to interpret the scope via the drawings. If both parties do their job, you'll have a great project. If either one of them doesn't pull their weight, you're in for a long haul.

Last but least, your contractor should be able to provide references of projects which are similar to yours. They should also provide evidence of workmen's compensation insurance and general liability insurance.

Have your attorney draft an Owner-Contractor agreement, as well as a no lien agreement before anyone moves forward. There are industry standard documents which can be obtained from the AIA www.aia.org. You should also be named as "additional insured" on the policies of all parties who will be working on your project.

It's a litigious world out there and you as the homeowner will suffer if anyone is injured on your property, or if proper payment is not made to second tier vendors by your contractor. It happens every day.

I worked for a fellow who used to say "In God we trust. With all others, we need a contract."

manet
02-14-2008, 03:26 PM

Russell
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice..it really helped.