PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Classic kicks my %&#- big time!

hybridbellbaske
02-14-2008, 12:23 AM
A while ago I posted my intention to do the 2008 Australian Audax Alpine Classic in the Victorian High Country- well, I tried, and I failed.

I was trying to do the 130km ride- with 3 significant climbs-and just could'nt make the last climb. I got a lift with one of the Traffic Management guys from Mt Beauty up to the top of Tawonga Gap, and then rode the last 15 or kms back to the finish- so I did 120kms, with two climbs, including the climb from Mt Beauty to the Falls Creek ski village, which is about 30km (except for a couple of hundred metres of rollers in the middle). I found it harder than Mont Ventoux!

I learnt many lessons and will be back next year. I did try to train properly but this terrain is well beyond anything we have in South Australia, and, in retrospect, I made any number of rookie mistakes, most of which are too embarrassing to record here.

Anyway, I was in equal parts disappointed and exhilarated by the experience. Disappointed because I have never before dropped out of any ride, but exhilarated to have been part of a really cool event. The organisation was very good, and the town which hosts the start/finish, Bright, is very pretty, and becomes "Biketown" for the weekend, with a great feel.

How did other Aussie forum members go? To those who did the 200km ride- I am speechless, and in awe of your ablilities.

I saw one other Serotta, a polished Legend with red decals and a Dura-Ace triple setup, ridden by a woman who passed me (as did just about everyone!) at the foot of the Falls Creek climb. The prize for the prettiest bike has to go to the baby blue Vanilla I saw at the finish-looked gorgeous. No doubt it is a rara avis in Australia.

3chordwonder
02-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Glad to hear you'll be back, it's such a nice event. Incredibly well organised and with a great atmosphere, more like a three day holiday than a one day ride.

The French crepes were a highlight as was the onsite wine bar.

I did the 200km and went fine, but then again, I wasn't killing myself out the very front either.

It was definitely wise to attempt the 130km before the 200 imho. I did the 130 first time last year and although it was fun, I was happy to be done at 130km at the time. Knowing the first 130km of the course this time made the 200 so much easier. I carried way less stuff and ended up having a coffee at Falls Ck before I knew it.

It's a funny kind of ride, in that later in the day a lot of older steady riders start passing the serious looking dudes in team kit who overcooked it early on. There's a lot to learn from the old randonneuring guys imho.

Did you see the overturned car on the first ascent of Tawonga Gap? I was sorry for the driver/passengers, but it was kind of surreal that the first ambulance of the day was for a car not a rider.

Good luck for next year!

cs124
02-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Good to hear you haven't been "beaten" by it and will be back for revenge. :beer: I know all too well how much motivation can come from situations like these.

The return climb up Tawonga certainly is tough. If you get over that the remaining 70km Buffalo loop is just relatively tame.

BBB
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
It certainly is a terrific ride in wonderful country side and well organised to boot.

As for me, well I had to pull out at the 130km point. I had been having some knee problems through January and was crossing my fingers that the knee would hold together, but not to be. Made it to the top of Falls Creek okay, but the ride back after the decent was particularly painful. I ended up favouring my right leg on the way back up Tawonga Gap but hurt my right knee as a result! Nevermind, there's always next year (and trips to the physio)...

As for the older guys who plough steadily along, did anyone see the older guy on the late 80's steel Centruion? He went flying past me on the first climb, went flying past me up Falls Creek and then went flying past me on the way back up Tawonga Gap - impressive.

Yep saw the overturned car - windy road, too many horses under the bonnet - I wonder what happened...???

jeffg
02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey, great job!

Wait until my ride report from the Devil Mountain Double if I don't lose 15-20 pounds .... :eek:

hybridbellbaske
02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Jeffg,

Thanks for the kind words.

20 pounds less from my bloated carcass would have been great. It certainly was quite chastening walking around town the night before the ride feeling like everybody else was undernourished! Good motivation to keep up the increased level of riding I was doing in the months before the ride. Hopefully next year I will hit the climbs without being the heaviest person there...