PDA

View Full Version : Cycling near Paris suggestion

kgreene10
02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
We will be in Paris for nine days in early March and although the weather may be lousy, we have an interest in spending a day or two cycling outside of the city. We have never been to France.

Does anyone have a route to recommend that won't take too long to get to from Paris but will hopefully have some climbing?

If you can also recommend a tour operator or agency that rents quality bicycles, all the better.

Thanks!

goonster
02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
When I was preparing for PBP I found this link. (http://www.mayq.com/index.htm)

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but has some very interesting tips regarding travelling around Paris with a bike, and has several routes out of central Paris.

I found Paris a pleasure to ride around. There are excellent bike paths, separated from the main traffic lanes by curbing, and with a no-dooring zone between the path and curbside parking. Parking tickets must be very expensive, and given liberally, because I was astounded to see very few cars obstructing either the bike lanes or the no-dooring grid.

On the downside, bikes are not permitted at all on the Metro and only on a limited basis on the RER commuter trains.

sc53
02-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Why don't you go to Roubaix? :D

RonW87
02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
The Loire Valley is not too far away. It is good for chateaux and some OK wines (Vouvray is the white and Sancerre is a decent light red).

If you are a WWI buff, you can take in Vimy Ridge, Ypres, etc. People think Paris-Roubaix is called "L'Enfer du Nord" because it's a tough race. In fact, it refers to the region, not the race. When they first resumed the race after the war, Northern France had been destroyed after five years of trench warfare and artillery barrages.

Finally, the Champagne region is fairly accessible. Epernay and Reims are definitely worth a visit. There's something about cycling among the grape vines...

ada@prorider.or
02-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Why don't you go to Roubaix? :D
start is a long way from paris! wiith a bike

meaby do
paris nice visit

9 march 2008 t/m 16 March 2008
http://www.aso.fr/evenements/events_fr.html

giordana93
02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
don't want to be a downer, but march can be awful weather in Paris: cold, wet, windy, you know the epic paris-roubaix weather. Paris is pretty far north (only the gulf stream keeps it temperate). Biking in France is great-in July! If you want to persist, be sure to have a contingency plan, but if you are bringing your own bike, rain gear, etc., well, I would do more research on the weather. for destinations that haven't been mentioned: the Champagne region is to the east, not too far. American cemetery, Rheims cathedral (with Chagall stained glass, where all kings were crowned) worth visits. I seem to recall rolling hills(?).

02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
The OP was interested in rides close to Paris, and only has a couple days. Most of these suggestions are a long drive.

Since you're in Paris, I'd suggest riding in and immediately around Paris. You can get in 30-40 miles easily on bike trails around the city itself and get to sightsee in the city as well. Ride up to Montparnasse and get some hills -- more than you find nearby. The trails are nice, eminently suitable for a good training ride. In some places they are cobbled, and in some places are packed sand, but generally the trails are excellent to ride on, even in bad weather (and as someone pointed out above, this is not the balmy weather of Paris in the spring). I have to be in Paris perhaps a half dozen times a year and take an S&S coupled fixie that works just fine. I can always get in 30-35 miles, with stops at a brasserie or two, or a food vendor by the road.

There are bicycle rentals in Paris -- I've ridden past several along the Seine alone -- but they tend to be basic heavy frames with upright bars -- and did I say heavy? They tend to weigh about 40 pounds. Your own bike will be a lot more enjoyable. Note that while you get dinged for shipping a bike in the US, on most international flights I carry a bike free of charge, even a full-size bike case.

goonster
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Ride up to Montparnasse and get some hills -- more than you find nearby.

I think you mean Montmartre. ;)

Montparnasse is a nice neighborhood, but it is flat.

Note that while you get dinged for shipping a bike in the US, on most international flights I carry a bike free of charge, even a full-size bike case.

Can you recommend carriers? For example, Air France now has a flat rate for bike transport, regardless of the size of the case. :no:

02-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I think you mean Montmartre. ;)

Montparnasse is a nice neighborhood, but it is flat.

Can you recommend carriers? For example, Air France now has a flat rate for bike transport, regardless of the size of the case. :no:

Argh. I was typing too fast. Thanks.

I've been flying on American and British Airways and had no problems in the past three or four flights. I flew Lufthansa to Amsterdam a couple months ago with no problems either -- actually had two bike cases for track and road. I paid for additional luggage with the second bike case because of the amount of stuff I had, but still it was only about $40 each way.