PDA

View Full Version : RA and Boston-Montreal-Boston

Bruce K
08-22-2004, 04:59 AM
RA has asked me to let you all know a short bit about her B-M-B effort over the last few days. She plans to post a fuller report when she gets home to FL.

I got a call from a very disappointed RA yesterday around 6:00PM telling me that after 51 hours and 464 miles she had been forced to abandon the ride. The weather had been pretty tough. Lots of rain and chilly temperatures had led to several physical problems.

RA's knees (which already have issues - remember her brace?) became swollen, and a stomach bug were 2 of her major problems. Not enough cots at one of the controls left her sleeping on a floor and getting a good chill as well.

She was really bummed about having to abandon but from our discussion I am both amazed at what she had accomplished as she was right on her planned schedule and also convinced that she could not have continued to ride any further without serious risk to her self.

Personally, I am very proud to be able to call her a freind as she is really quite special. SHe is doing something I certainly cannot do and would not even attempt and listening to her story of the 2004 B-M-B she is one tough lady.

Spokes, your freind Chet finished the 750 miles some time yesterday afternoon in around 60 hours (I think) and is in good shape.

The first rider in apparently completed the ride in 48 hours and 10 minutes. He was some young guy in his 20's who rode with virtually nothing beyond what we normally ride with except for a light or 2 and did not stop to sleep, just for checking in and "re-fueling".

At any rate, please send RA supportive thoughts. She's feeling a bit low right now.

BK

SPOKE
08-22-2004, 05:40 PM
thanks for the update on RA. i know she's a bit bummed but her effort, like you said, was fantastic. this little adventure will just make her mad which will cause her to just train even harder!

my friend Chet did the ride in 64hr & change. he made his first stop for a little sleep after riding over 500mi. he's a nut. his new nickname is OneSpeed.

Tom
08-22-2004, 06:31 PM
We're down low. It must have been absolutely freezing on Saturday going over the higher terrain. Besides, she would have been facing a stiff headwind all day. That's a hell of an accomplishment to get as far as she did.

Bill Bove
08-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Has that damn ride ever been held in anything but cold and rain? Does summer skip over Vermont and upstate New York?

Tough luck, RA. Don't let it get you down. You did a great job preparing for BMB but you can't control the weather. You've got it in you, That ride owes you and you'll collect big time next year.

Smiley
08-22-2004, 08:00 PM
I'll tell you RA's got nuthin to be ashmed of , I could not dream of riding this distance say the least racing it with lack of sleep . That woman's as tough as nails. You go get them next year RA :banana: