PDA

View Full Version : ok fellow posers this is what it's supposed to look like

coylifut
02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/newsphotos.php?id=/photos/2008/news/feb08/feb13news2/hinault01

clinchers, not a crazy amount of saddle to bar drop, a couple spacers, not skinny, but not fat either. this guy's the chit.

Bill Bove
02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Black saddle, white tape. That is what it is supposed to look like.

The arc-en-ciel around the neck and sleeves, that's just a bonus.

Too Tall
02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/newsphotos.php?id=/photos/2008/news/feb08/feb13news2/hinault09

johnnymossville
02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Imagine lining up next to The Badger in a crit? That's gotta be cool.

TMB
02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/newsphotos.php?id=/photos/2008/news/feb08/feb13news2/hinault01

clinchers, not a crazy amount of saddle to bar drop, a couple spacers, not skinny, but not fat either. this guy's the chit.

And most importantly, Campagnolo ...........................................

coylifut
02-13-2008, 10:49 AM

nope. the Badger doesn't care. He rides what he rides. He can't be bothered with such silly arguments.

Viper
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
:beer:

Monthly Payment
02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
What are the people doing in the background? I was going to make a joke they are running numbers like horse racing then thought to myself, they probably are betting considering how popular keirin racing is there.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/news/feb08/feb13news2/hinault09.jpg

Grant McLean
02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Hinault and my personal fav Felice Gimondi still look great on the bike.

It's awesome to see them still with the passion for the sport.

-g

sspielman
02-13-2008, 11:56 AM

It's awesome to see them still with the passion for the sport.

-g

Francesco Moser looks great on a bike still, too....and he is still a complete bada$$....

caleb
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Black saddle, white tape. That is what it is supposed to look like.

I think white needs a rest. Once it starts appearing in stock paintjobs and build kits, it's passe. There's no such thing as off-the-shelf style.

Brown is the new white. Powder blue isn't bad either.

Acotts
02-13-2008, 12:25 PM
I think white needs a rest. Once it starts appearing in stock paintjobs and build kits, it's passe. There's no such thing as off-the-shelf style.

Brown is the new white. Powder blue isn't bad either.

Niiice! Takin' it to a new level.

I have to say, I am starting to fall for Sach's Red. The more I looked at great paint jobs at NAHBS, the more I return to the RS team issue.

witcombusa
02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
See below....

coylifut
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
See below....

No. That's what it's supposed to look like at 30. At 54 or what ever, it's supposed to look like the above. you better watch it or were going to dig up some before and after pictures of you.

One thing cool about those days is that everyone had feathered hair cuts and the wind styled 'em perfect.

Acotts
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
i am sure it started in the US first. Its our nature.

coylifut
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
there were no helmet standards in the US when I started racing in 1978. We wore those worthless hair net things. If I remember correctly, Belgium was the first country to impose helmet standards in European races.

stevep
02-13-2008, 02:52 PM

im remembering early 80s
raised a ruckus for sure.

Fat Robert
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
'84

my glorius buzzcut had to be concealed under a bell v-1

the horror

johnnymossville
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
without a helmet (mid 80's), and had to borrow one to get in. I was po'd, but I got in the race. Went right out and bought some big yellow monstrosity, almost as ugly as today's helmets.

swoop
02-13-2008, 04:30 PM

i think it was around the time fabio casertelli died and left a wife and small child behind.

coylifut
02-13-2008, 04:40 PM
i think it was around the time fabio casertelli died and left a wife and small child behind.

it was when Andre Kivilev died in Paris Nice. That year, guys could still take the lids off on mountain top finishes, but you knew that and said the above for effect? Right?

swoop
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM

coylifut
02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
the more i think about it, i see pictures of the top teams at their training camps and a few of the guys wear helmets and the rest of them don't. when you sign your contract it says that anytime you are riding your bike you are to be in uniform. if i was a helmet sponsor, i'd require it, i mean it's part of the uniform isn't it. these teams don't buy their own helmets do they?

coylifut
02-13-2008, 04:54 PM

what year is that. because Kivilev died in 03 not wearing a helmet in Paris Nice. I remember the helmet rules were inconsistent. some countries yes. some no. I believe the tour was the last race to require helmets all the time. No?

swoop
02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
lets not stir the great helmet debate. choice is good.

3chordwonder
02-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Old dudes + racing bikes + testosterone + sub-pro handling skills = wear a helmet. imho.

Edit in the spirit of Swoop's post: and of course, don't wear one if you're confident. Nobody but you can get hurt, anyway.

Funny that Hinault does look more comfortable with his age than a lot of guys I see puffing and heaving along the popular training rides. Great photo to post.

fixednwinter
02-13-2008, 05:44 PM

-g

Hinault's position was dialed in - I love rewatching the old 86 Tour DVD. Interestingly, the side view shot that Witcomb posted is, I believe, the last transition year for Hinault before achieving what he felt was his optimum position. If that shot is from '78 (perhaps GP de Nations or one of the Tour TT's?), he has yet to move the saddle back further as well as drop his saddle to bar height even more. Nice to see in his 50's that he has a more relaxed stance!

In the Genzling book which detailed his position, Hinault talks about the guy who HE admired in terms of position of smoothness - Roger De Vlaeminck. There's a couple of shots of Mr. Paris-Roubaix in that book, as well as the footage from Sunday in Hell - wow, that guy was classy when it came to smoothness & position on a bike, especially over cobbles.

Z3c
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
If you look at the pic of Eddy that was posted you will see that he does not have a lot of saddle/bar drop on that bike. He is low because he is comfortable and can bend his arms and drop down. These guys rode before someone decided that drop was a status symbol.. They did pretty well from what I have heard.

Scott

rustychisel
02-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Hinault... my absolute all time favourite. Thanks.

Elefantino
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
And, also, Fulcrums.

Campagnolo + Fulcrums = Perfect.

swoop
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
don't look at the bars.. look at the hood. todays hoods sit on the top of the bars.... and if you go by the drop to the hoods... nothing has changed.

atmo.

Simon Q
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
don't look at the bars.. look at the hood. todays hoods sit on the top of the bars.... and if you go by the drop to the hoods... nothing has changed.

atmo.

You are right, to my surprise as I thought those guys had much less drop.

Put a ruler horizontal on the pic - even the tops are a decent height below the saddle and the hoods are way down.

How effing cool was Eddy BTW...the chiselled looks, his name on the bike, the Faema/Molteni kit, the sideburns and he flogged everyone like nobody before or after. Great pic.

Drop for me isn't to look cool, although I am sure some endure discomfort just for the pro look. If level was best for me I would go that way but I feel more balanced and comfy and also the glutes and back better engaged with about 9 cm drop. No right or wrong, just how one functions on the bike.

MilanoTom
02-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Casartelli died in '95, but in the '96 Atlanta Olympics, the riders still weren't required to wear them.