PDA

View Full Version : To Gel Pad or not to Gel Pad?

jberenyi
02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I started this poll to see how many people use gel pads under their handlebar tape. If you do, please tell us your favorite brand and which ones you thought sucked and why. Thanks!

saab2000
02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Cork tape and that's it. If your hands are getting numb there is more to the problem and the solution than gel under the tape.

Viper
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
What Sr. Saab said.

Ed Moses
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I use the Specialized Bar Phat tape on my audax and cross bikes - I have not put it on the Legend yet, but I have carbon bars on that bike and find they absorb some of the vibration.

saab2000
02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
What Sr. Saab said.

Holy cow! We agree on yet another topic.

Sean Kelly is a biking god and cork tape is all we need.

For the rest of the political topics there will be a Pay Per View cage match, but we agree on this. Keep that voodoo doll hidden away for another day.

Viper
02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Holy cow! We agree on yet another topic.

Sean Kelly is a biking god and cork tape is all we need.

For the rest of the political topics there will be a Pay Per View cage match, but we agree on this. Keep that voodoo doll hidden away for another day.

:D

regularguy412
02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I use bars that have two grooves for cable/ housing. Since I'm on the dreaded Shimano, I only have need of one of the grooves. The one on top just gets in the way. Due to this situation, I started using a piece of used cork tape horizontally along the top to smooth out the groove. It also affords an additional small degree of damping without making the bar diameter too large for comfort. I think this also helps keep the tape from moving around, since I tend to perspire quite a lot.

As mentioned above, if you have chronic numbness on every ride, there is probably something else going on. When I fitted my CSI years ago, I chose to have the 'reach' on my bars tilted at the same angle as that of my forearms. When I'm out on the knobs of the hoods, the ulnar nerve that runs just next to carpals does not have to bear all the weight. Part of my forearm lies on the reach and helps support. I realize this position will probably not work for everyone, but it works for me.

Mike in AR

davids
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
One wrap of tape is all I use, usually Cinelli or Fizik.

And I almost always wear gloves, usually PI Pittards:

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/picarbon.jpg

saab2000
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Related - Specialized gloves work very well for me. They have some odd-shaped pads, but they are placed in just the right position and really help me with any hand numbness.

catulle
02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
"Fit is directly proportional to fitness." Prince Kropotkin, 1866.

jberenyi
02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I agree on the fit issue. I also never mentioned numbness. However, aside from using them due to numbness I was just wondering in general how many use them regardless of the latter.

znfdl
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Related - Specialized gloves work very well for me. They have some odd-shaped pads, but they are placed in just the right position and really help me with any hand numbness.

+1

dave thompson
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I've tried gel pads but didn't like the feel. I now use cotton bar tape as an underwrap to give me the padding and feel I prefer.

CNY rider
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
One wrap of tape is all I use, usually Cinelli or Fizik.

And I almost always wear gloves, usually PI Pittards:

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/picarbon.jpg

That Fizik tape is really sweet.
Very soft and supple and soaks up road noise. No need for any gel.

sg8357
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I tried the Fizik gel underneath shellaced cotton tape.
The gel was flexible, I just didn't notice any improvement
in comfort. I went back to just the cotton tape.

Some cork underneath the cotton to fair in cables is worthwhile.

Fat Robert
02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
and i don't wear gloves, either

(because when i was young and stupid, i read that walter planckaert didn't. now, i'm old and set in my ways)

saab2000
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
and i don't wear gloves, either

(because when i was young and stupid, i read that walter planckaert didn't. now, i'm old and set in my ways)

Walter Goodefroot bragged about the same thing.

We do get set in our ways though. I started cycling before there were helmets and so don't feel naked without one.

But I almost never ever ride without gloves because I started using them from day 1 when I was about 15. Can't imagine riding without them.

Bruce K
02-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Fizik gel pads on my cross bikes only.

BK

J.Greene
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Steel fork, nicly curved blades.

JG

thwart
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm a wuss... and old. :rolleyes:

I use a thin double wrap of cork tape near the ergos and also on the lowest part of the drops (seems I always have some pieces of old beat-up tape around for that bottom layer). The remainder of the bar is single wrap.

Works for me.