PDA

View Full Version : Official K Bedford Announcement (from Serotta)

Pete Serotta
02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Media Contact: Tiffany Teaford
Serotta Competition Bicycles
603/707-1912
Tiffany@serotta.com

Serotta’s Kelly Bedford Unveils K.Bedford Customs
Custom Handcrafted Lugged Steel Frames with an Artisan Approach

Saratoga Springs, NY. (February, 2008) --- With the blessing and encouragement of longtime employer and frame building mentor Ben Serotta, Kelly Bedford announces K.Bedford Customs – custom handcrafted lugged steel frames. K.Bedford Customs is the longtime personal dream of Kelly Bedford - the culmination of 21 years of frame building and design experience at Serotta.

“At Serotta it’s been a little over a year that we discontinued the last of our lugged frame models (CSI) – those type of frames for a Serotta came to an end now that the company’s focus is on welded steel and titanium, bonded carbon, and bonded carbon and titanium. We field requests to build lugged steel frames, but the demand has diminished to a point where it’s just not logical anymore. Though I know other techniques, my hands-on experience is in classic brazed lugged frames. For a long time I’ve been wanting to build this type of frame again, and the only way is to do it is on my own,” said Bedford.

K.Bedford Customs is distinctly separate from Serotta and will operate as a stand-alone brand 100% independent of Serotta’s Saratoga Springs-based design and production facility. All frames will be consumer direct – Kelly can be reached at kbedfish@yahoo.com or evenings and weekends at (518) 538-8055. “Despite this ambitious and time consuming outside venture, my current position as senior design at Serotta remains unchanged,” reassured Bedford to decades-worth of Serotta fans.

K. Bedford Customs will offer road, cross, track and touring frames. Geometry will draw on 20 years of knowledge Bedford has accrued at Serotta and every frame will be painted by premier finisher Joe Bell of California. Including custom finishing, K. Bedford Custom frames will be priced in the $2,500-$3,500 range.
On the subject of fit….“I will not conduct fits, but if someone wants a custom fit I will work with their numbers and discuss them with their fitter,’” commented Bedford. “If there’s one thing I’ve learned about fit it’s that it’s foremost in owning a truly fine bicycle.”

“Lugged steel frames is where every frame maker begins, while steel doesn’t necessarily compete with carbon and ti, it’s still a viable choice for many riders and a source of pride for many frame makers. Kelly Bedford chooses to work in steel the way any other artist chooses to work in oil paints or watercolors. As his friend and employer for over 20 years I applaud his desire to carryon this tradition,” said Ben Serotta.

Founded in 1972 by owner and master frame builder Ben Serotta, Serotta Competition Bicycles designs, manufactures and distributes premier class bicycles from its headquarters in Saratoga Springs NY. Distinguished by over 30 years of benchmark setting performance innovations like its "Colorado Concept" shaped tubing, the "S" bend chain stay, and the first fully customizable 100% carbon fiber bicycle, Serotta also leads the industry with its renowned personalized bicycle fit technology. Professional cyclists, including Olympians and World Champions, have claimed numerous prestigious victories on Serottas fueling the company's continuous pursuit of hand-built perfection.
www.serotta.com

abqhudson
02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
The folks at Serotta are truly something special!

They have earned and deserve our support.

Too Tall
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
(scratching my head) Kellllllllllllly Bedford, Kelllllllllllllllly Bedford. Huh? Where have I heard that name before? How many frames has he made? Did he go to school?

Smiley
02-12-2008, 12:59 PM
GET FREAKING INLINE for a K Bedford creation NOW. Or you can say I told you so :banana:

Ahneida Ride
02-12-2008, 06:15 PM
GET FREAKING INLINE for a K Bedford creation NOW. Or you can say I told you so :banana:

Smiley is right on this one ...

Blue Jays
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Good stuff. Congratulations again.

dbrk
02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
OK, I'll say it 'cause I was thinking it and it's flattering to all...I understand Serotta's position entirely but wouldn't it be lovely to see those handsome Serotta-swagged, redwood-shaped tubes again on lugged steel? So how about a Serotta-licensed KB CCtubed bike?

Just dreamin'...Congrats to Mr Bedford, truly one of the greats comes forward. I look forward with real anticipation to seeing these bikes.

dbrk

regularguy412
02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
OK, I'll say it 'cause I was thinking it and it's flattering to all...I understand Serotta's position entirely but wouldn't it be lovely to see those handsome Serotta-swagged, redwood-shaped tubes again on lugged steel? So how about a Serotta-licensed KB CCtubed bike?

Just dreamin'...Congrats to Mr Bedford, truly one of the greats comes forward. I look forward with real anticipation to seeing these bikes.

dbrk

Are you saying, 'Rebirth of the CSI?' I bet it would please a lot of people.

;)

Mike in AR:beer:

Smiley
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I am pretty sure my Fixee will have an F3 fork BUT I am pretty certain it won't have Colorado Concept tubing