PDA

View Full Version : Info on PowerCranks, legit?

DRZRM
02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I came across a description of these, and I must say I'm interested. I figure with all you racers out there, some of you guys must have some experience with 'em. Now I have not raced anything in years...OK decades, but I like the idea of improving efficiency and speed. Is this crap, or are the results on their webpage even close to being true?

http://www.powercranks.com/

Seems too good to be true, but it's been so long since I've participated in a bike related thread, I thought I'd ask. I can't imagine I'd ever take them outside, but it might be a cool way to get through the winter on the trainer if you could find a used pair for a good deal (or rent somebody's in the off season).

Longdaddy
02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
the real deal. www.Pezcyclingnews.com has done some reviews on them in the past. These are speciality cranks, designed to train each leg independently. I've read that they are popular with some pretty good bike racers during the off season.

RudAwkning
02-11-2008, 06:15 PM
the real deal. www.Pezcyclingnews.com has done some reviews on them in the past. These are speciality cranks, designed to train each leg independently. I've read that they are popular with some pretty good bike racers during the off season.

My friend is going to use them during his rehab from a broken leg. Lots of pros using them for training. They're expensive though.

J.Greene
02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
I
Seems too good to be true

All you need to say.

Talk to racers who really race and ask them. A lot of guys have tried them, but no one sticks to them. They are yesterdays over priced fad. Those pros they mention on the website aren't training on them from what I have heard.

JG

bocarider
02-12-2008, 06:37 AM
A guy that rides in my Saturday group used them for a while and then had to take 2 months off due to a knee injury he says was directly attributable to the power cranks. Just one piece of anecdotal evidence for you

weiwentg
02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
I used them.

I actually got to the point where I was pretty good. I did a century on them, once, and impressed a few people.

I was rehabbing from a broken leg also. they certainly helped with that.

they did not work miracles, though. I did not become a Cat 1 overnight. I believe they were helpful, but I gave up racing, so I sold them. and I still think my pedal stroke is decent.

Longdaddy
02-12-2008, 07:51 AM
.....have you ever read a Pez review where they did not like the product? Not many of them.

The beauty of this forum- The Truth is Out There........

Acotts
02-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I hear that you can improve your pedal stroke much more by mountain biking and working the trainer than by using these power cranks. Not to meniton that you can get a pretty decent Mtn bike out of it.

Plus mtn biking is stupid-fun!

Kindly,
Andrew "how did I get three road bikes and no Mtn bikes" Cotter

TimD
02-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Three of my local crew have them. Two of the riders are very strong and attribute at least some of their strength to the use of PCs. The third rider is new to them.

From direct personal experience I can say the manufacturer has had some QC issues with their machining and/or kitting for shipment. I built the third rider's bike; there was considerable difference in tolerance among a couple of the components, but the cranks were said to be a prototype set (and thus only $700 instead of $900). The second rider had an incorrect BB attachment adapter on one side, which appeared to be secure after assembly but which became unsecured about 3 miles into a ride. I should say the manufacturer was quick to provide the necessary service in both cases.

Anyone who can finish a century riding them deserves some respect! :beer:

DRZRM
02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I guess I should just ride my MTB more, but the good trails near me are closed from Jan. 15 to April 15th. You guys pretty well told me what I wanted to hear. I'd love to try them out for a few months, but I can't see spending that money for them. Anyone looking for a PowerCranks sitter so yours won't be lonely in teh winter months?

For the same $ I can pick up a Ritchey breakaway fixed and fly somewhere warm with it.

http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey%7ELogic/Ritchey%7ESite/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=29569&live=true

I'm totally obsessed with this frame, the only thing better would be to have Ingleheart make me one in stainless.

http://www.iglebike.com/track.html

Thanks for the feedback, you guys are the best. :beer:

I hear that you can improve your pedal stroke much more by mountain biking and working the trainer than by using these power cranks. Not to meniton that you can get a pretty decent Mtn bike out of it.

Plus mtn biking is stupid-fun!

Kindly,
Andrew "how did I get three road bikes and no Mtn bikes" Cotter