PDA

View Full Version : Rides in Portland, OR

duke
08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Work brings me to Portland, OR. (Beaverton actually) for the next two months. Any recommendations for group rides. I am not a racer but can maintain 18 to 19 mph over a couple of hours if the hills aren't two steep.
Thanks,
duke

shinomaster
08-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Beaverton is a ways away from Portland proper..so I can't help you ride there.

When you get here let me know and I can give you the skinny on the all the good rides in the Portland area.

sorry but there are hills everywhere you go here, and they are all steep and long!

coylifut
08-20-2004, 08:50 PM
This is the main rando club in Portland.

http://www.pwtc.com/

Also, there is a $10 book(s) called rubber to the road 1 and 2. each volume has 30 rides around the portland area with several rides that are on the west side in the beaverton area. you should be able to buy it at the bike gallery. btw, you are coming to the portland area during the best season, dry and cool. make sure you venture out to watch the cross crusade cyclocross series. It claims to be the most participated series in the country. the uci race is in early october, it'l be worth watching.

Wanker
08-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Duke,

Many great rides to be had in the Portland metro area. From Beaverton head west out Scholls Ferry Road to flat and rolling farmland; only minutes from south Beaverton. Email me for many great rides. Skyline blvd, although somewhat hilly, is very accessable and features absolutely gorgeous views of mountains, rivers, forests wildlife and best of all, light auto traffic. Go to a Bike Gallery and grab a free cycling newspaper and look at the listings of daily group rides. my email address is dono@johnlscott.com
If you do email me, be sure to provide an identifiable heading; don't want to confuse your email with SPAM.
It's prime time cycling season in The City of Roses!

wanker

dave thompson
08-21-2004, 01:00 AM
...It's prime time cycling season in The City of Roses!
wanker
You mean the 3 days it doesn't rain? :D

William
08-21-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm heading out so I'll post more detailed directions later.

The Portland/Beaverton area is not all hills (though mostly). You could head over to Sauvie Island for some flat riding. Many people drive their cars over and park near the bridge. Or you could climb up to Skyline and cruise until you hit Newberry, and then drop down to HWY 30, then you have about a half mile or so to the bridge. The Helvetica area NW of Beaverton is fairly flat. You can ride out there easily out West Union if I remember correctly. There is a school out there that some people drive over to to park & ride. Sham-pooey (phonetic spelling) park offers flat riding as well. You can ride the old Banana Belt series course.

Post more later.

William

duke
08-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the great response and the advice. I'll be out in about a week, I'll make contact then.
duke