PDA

View Full Version : brief Portland report

bironi
02-11-2008, 09:19 AM
I visited the bike show Saturday for less than 2 hours. I viewed the documentary that Richard Sachs presented. This was the best part of the show for myself and friends. Sadly to say the main floor booth displays were just too much like strolling thru a shopping mall. Too many people, not enough room, and bad fluorescent lighting. We were ready to go get a beer after an hour, and that was really a little more than we would have liked.

I did see some nice stuff by Sachs, Weigle, Kirk, White, Dario, and a few others. I was just hoping for a better atmosphere and scale. At least I won't be bummed when the show heads east.

I felt a bit of sympathy for the fine frame builders having to stay through 3 days in this atmosphere.

Byron

William
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been following all the threads.....was it held at the convention center?

William

vaxn8r
02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been following all the threads.....was it held at the convention center?

William
Convention center. Unless you hold it outside I don't see how you deal with artifical light for a big venue. Yeah, it was crowded but that didn't stop me from having personal communications with pretty much everyone I wanted to. For example Vanilla appeared to be mobbed, but in reality it was a bunch of people standing back in what seemed to be "worship" mode. I just went up to Sasha and a had a couple of converstions with him thorughout the day. I also spoke with Craig Calfee, Bill Davidson, Richard Sachs, Dave and Karin Kirk, Bill Parlee, the Pego boys (not Dario), the Rapha guys...pretty much anyone I wanted to. I thought the volume was fine for such an event.

PacNW2Ford
02-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Saturday morning was a packed house and at first I was put off by the crowd too. Bad memories of the local Portland handmade show that was truly inaccessible due to a cramped venue. But it was a far better experience than San Jose and I enjoyed those a lot. The show is absolutely unique in the opportunity to see bikes you would never see and actually talk with the people behind them.

I'm proud of the support Portland gave the show. The show even got a nice segment on the local news.

wasfast
02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I went Sunday and, while busy, wasn't crowed like Saturday sounded like it was. I spent 4 hours and only made it through all the booth once.

shinomaster
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Convention center. Unless you hold it outside I don't see how you deal with artifical light for a big venue. Yeah, it was crowded but that didn't stop me from having personal communications with pretty much everyone I wanted to. For example Vanilla appeared to be mobbed, but in reality it was a bunch of people standing back in what seemed to be "worship" mode. I just went up to Sasha and a had a couple of converstions with him thorughout the day. I also spoke with Craig Calfee, Bill Davidson, Richard Sachs, Dave and Karin Kirk, Bill Parlee, the Pego boys (not Dario), the Rapha guys...pretty much anyone I wanted to. I thought the volume was fine for such an event.

I agree. It was really crowded, but I got to chat with Sacha, a man who always seems pleased to see me, even if he's tired of me being so flaky about getting a Vagen. Mr. Sachs gave me his attention for a while, and people who wanted to chat with him had to just simply wait in line while collecting ATMO buttons or other toys.

Blue Jays
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
The show got great reviews from one of my friends who caught a flight there and spent the whole weekend. :beer:

peter weigle
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=bironi]
I felt a bit of sympathy for the fine frame builders having to stay through 3 days in this atmosphere.

Byron, It was packed on Saturday!
I was told the Fire Marshall closed the gate for a period as the floor was at max capacity!

Like other folks who displayed, I had to stand out in the isle so folks could pack into my space for a look.
There was a lot of energy in the air Saturday and it flew by for most of the exhibitors.

Friday was much lighter attendance as it was trade only early and special pa$$ after 1:00.

Sunday was just right imho, lots of folks looking and enough room for them to see what was on display.
I feel badly for you not having more time at the show,, and for not being able to see all you wanted to.
I don't think you have to feel badly for us, the place was hopping and most exhibitors I talked to seemed to be enjoying the buzz.

shinomaster
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=bironi]

Byron, It was packed on Saturday!
I was told the Fire Marshall closed the gate for a period as the floor was at max capacity!

Like other folks who displayed, I had to stand out in the isle so folks could pack into my space for a look.
There was a lot of energy in the air Saturday and it flew by for most of the exhibitors.

Friday was much lighter attendance as it was trade only early and special pa$$ after 1:00.

Sunday was just right imho, lots of folks looking and enough room for them to see what was on display.
I feel badly for you not having more time at the show,, and for not being able to see all you wanted to.
I don't think you have to feel badly for us, the place was hopping and most exhibitors I talked to seemed to be enjoying the buzz.

Peter I really admired your bikes. I wanted to saw hi, but you were extremely busy!

bironi
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, I probably should have made my visit on Sunday. I think my real dissappointment was self-made. My expectations were too high. On the plus side I was able to sample a lot more beer, and see more sights. We enjoyed the happy hour at the Portland City Grille, a great view with lots of energy.

Anyone out there see the Sach's documentary?

peter weigle
02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=peter weigle]

Peter I really admired your bikes. I wanted to saw hi, but you were extremely busy!
Shino, thanks, my booth like many was a flurry,,,
I barely had time to eat the three days, and when I did it was a bite or two,, then back to it,,,
but no complaints, I love to show my bikes.
Next time, ok!