PDA

View Full Version : So I commuted into work today

johnnymossville
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
in sunny but 15 degree weather, and I'm still frozen an hour later. How do you commuters here survive this time of year? Any and all tips, suggestions, advice would be appreciated. I know, common sense rules, but still. I wanna hear some crazy winter commuter stories and tips.

...But right now, I'm going to get a coffee.

CNY rider
02-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Mind and body.

We had a cozy +1 F today, with wind and wind chill of who knows what. Didn't bother me in the least.

The mind: Commuting by bike becomes the way you get to work. Not just a fun thing you do on a nice spring day. Barring absolute extremes of weather like hurricanes or deep unplowed snow that puts me at extreme risk from cars, I"m riding. The car is just for back up.

The body: You really need the right clothing to ride in the extremes. Everybody will come up with their own outfit but I have super warm fleece tights, winter shoes over wools socks, and lots of wool layers under a wind and water resistant jacket.

caleb
02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
-10 here in MN right now, so I'm waiting until about 11am to head in to work. Shoudl be approaching the zero mark by then.

The key to warmth is to cover all of your exposed skin in windproof clothing.

For example, today I'll wear a wicking base layer, fleece tights, windproof pants, a Patagonia R4 fleece, a North Face Gore Tex shell, a PI balaclava under a Craft ski hat, winter cycling gloves (the ones with the scorpion, forgot the name), wool ski socks, and Salomon hiking/mountaineering boots. If it's windy I'll wear ski goggles Even in this weather I ride with the armpit zippers open to prevent overheating.

What are you wearing that you're getting cold?

johnnymossville
02-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I think possibly I was wearing too many layers on top, because I worked up a sweat, then caught a chill when I got to work.

for the top, cotton t, long sleeve long john's over that, wool sweater, hoodie, then my insulated windbreaker coat, with a hood.

just jeans for my pants, cycling shoes, helmet. polypropylene gloves, too thin I guess.

The only things that got really cold on the ride itself were my hands, face, and feet.

I'm probably going to need better gloves, warmer shoes, and some type of covering for my face tomorrow, as I'm trying to give commuting on the bike a real chance. I really do enjoy the ride, and it's only about 25 minutes each way.

Do you guys change clothes when you get to work, or just take off some layers?

John

caleb
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Do you guys change clothes when you get to work, or just take off some layers?

John

My commute is only 3.5 miles. In the winter I change fully, although we don't have a shower. In the warmer months I wear my work clothes (usually chinos and an oxford shirt). If it's above 75 when I go to work I'll pack the work shirt and a tshirt in my bag, wear a wicking tee for the ride, then change shirts at work.

I started commuting last March, and it's been the single biggest improvement in my lifestyle in recent memory. Give it a good chance - the right gear can make all the difference.

Bernie
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Cotton Kills! use synthetics to hold in warmth and wick away moisture when wet, or better than that wool (which won't stink like the synthetics). My addage is to put on as many layers as you think it will take to stay warm, then remove one. That seems to give me a good balance between being overheated and sweating vs not enough to stay warm. You'll be a little cool at the start but once you get going you will warm up. I rode my commuter today in 25 degree weather and had a polypro base layer top, long sleeve jersey and jacket, tights, Lake boots, bib shorts and a skull cap. For gloves I used the Louis Garneau lobster mits. I rode slow and was actually overdressed except for my face. Below around 20 I start covering my face and any exposed skin. When it gets to single digits I start using some heavier windproof bib tights, use a long sleeve base layer, and heavier jersey. it doesn't get any colder than that here. I change when I get to work, so the idea is not to work up too much of a sweat. My commute is only 6 miles so it usually isn't a problem. I keep a towel, deodorant and soap in the office in case I need to wash up, and carry my clothes each way. Biggest obstacle is making it a habit and getting started. Once I got into the routine of commuting it seems really strange to driving. However, I don't ride in the rain as it is just too messy, too much risk of sliding and wiping out, too little visibility for the cars, and it takes too long to heal if I get hurt.

caleb
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I've learned quite a bit from this (http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20) site. Good luck.

znfdl
02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
The secret is layering and some gadgets. My week area for extreme cold commuting has been my toes. I bought a set of Hotronic battery heated footbeds. Coomuting temp this morning was 14F and had warm tootsies.

Other clothing:
Balaclava
Foxwear front windproof jacket. On cold days I als wear a light vest
Thermafleece Jersey
Knee Warmers
Windproof tights
Smartwool socks
Amfib Booties
Mittens, gotta have mittens when it is cold out.
Chapstick on any exposed skin.

cdimattio
02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
It was 7 degrees when I departed for my 17 mile commute.

My preference is fixed gear in the winter for simplicity. Easier to keep clean, no issues shifting with mittens and just less to go wrong.

I use sneakers and toe clips, but use a neoprene sock over wool when the temps drop below 20.

Thin glove liners and lobster gloves or mittens for the hands generally work for me. Add chemical warmers for the coldest days, but lack of air circulation reduces the effectiveness of those things.

Fixed
02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
bro my hats off to you cats .. i think 40 is cold
cheers

johnnymossville
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Great advice. I think I have a little shopping to do, as I'm not very well prepared for much under 20 degrees. I have to say, I mostly started commuting to work a couple months ago to put more miles in for racing in the spring, but the more I do it, the more I enjoy leaving the car at home.

It's also cool having my bike in my office. LOL

dawgie
02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
This is my first winter bike commuting, but I've been riding to work 3-4 days a week. The only days I don't ride is when it's raining, sleeting or snowing. Most of my Christmas presents consisted of cold-weather bike gear -- some new PI Amfib tights, a couple of winter cycling jackets, shoe covers, and base layers. Layering is essential, but I found that a cycling jacket (PI Gavia) works much better than jerseys layered with a vest. Wind-block fabric is amazing stuff. Keeping your hands and feet warm is also essential. I got some extra warm gloves and shoe covers for the coldest days, and that has made the commute very bearable. However, the first thing I do when I get to work on cold mornings, is take a hot shower followed up by a cup of hot coffee.

mschol17
02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
A balaclava goes a long way to keeping you warm by protecting your face and neck.

72gmc
02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Take care of the sensitive areas, and take care not to over-layer the rest. I use thin but warm gloves (Descente Coldout), toe covers, wool base layers, and arm/leg warmers. I only put the full pants and jacket on if it's below freezing or really nasty. If I start out a bit chilly, I know I'll be fine at the other end.

znfdl
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Great advice. I think I have a little shopping to do, as I'm not very well prepared for much under 20 degrees.

Johhny:

Check out www.foxwear.net

Lou makes the clothes and has very reasonable prices.

johnnymossville
02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Johhny:

Check out www.foxwear.net

Lou makes the clothes and has very reasonable prices.

I think you read my mind. USA made and reasonably priced. I'm liking what I see here. Thanks.

John

Johny
02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Smartwool Balaclava + Ibex wool + Giordana windstopper tights and jacket + Lake winter shoes = beating -5 F wind chill on bike this morning.

I am leaving my office for home.