PDA

View Full Version : NAHBS: Awards

ashwa64
02-11-2008, 01:27 AM
waiting to hear the results (just out of curiosity)...

mschol17
02-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Lugged: Bruce Gordon
TIG: DeSalvo
Fillet: Kirk
Paint: Baylis
Carbon: Crumpton
Ti: Black Sheep
Road: Bruce Gordon
Track: RetroTech
Off-Road: Engin
Tandem: Calfee
New Builder: Courage
City Bike: Ahearne
Walker's Choice, People's Choice, and Best of Show: Naked

I, for one, think the Naked bike fell into the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" category.

Dave B
02-11-2008, 08:39 AM
I love awards....none of the bikes I really dug won anything. Nor the brands.

Congrats to those who won and those who continue to win in our hearts.

J.Greene
02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Did e-Richie have a track bike on display?

JG

big shanty
02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I, for one, think the Naked bike fell into the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" category.

I barely slowed down to look at it. It was a "show bike". If it's not really representative of what you can buy from him....what is the point?

swoop
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
well... lance owns it now so it must be good.

maybe there should he a show bike category and a real bike category?
either way..
i'm fascinated that people seem so hungry for craft rather than manufactured product right now. it does give me a sense of hope and interest. this is just another marvel of biking.. that it also fosters community.

Climb01742
02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
neat, too, that portland has become a nexus for the "movement". as a kid, there was none of this vibe in portland. any guess what changed, or how the vibe sprung up?

Tom Byrnes
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I was at NAHBS and there were, as usual, many beautiful bikes.

I think that Bruce Gordon may received his awards because of his longevity in the frame building business and his not-hidden feelings that he has been overlooked and under appreciated in the arena of hand-built bikes and in previous NAHBS awards. He certainly was not the most cordial framebuilder in attendance. Just my opinion.

In particular, I had hoped that the NAHBS would have recognized Carl Strong's beautiful custom race bike, a combination of carbon, ti and steel tubing, Dave Kirk's (and SPOKE's) beautiful JK Special and Peter Weigle's stunning blue touring bike.

I assume that Don Walker and co. probably feel that e-richie and Sacha have already won enough big awards and that the show has to spread the wealth among some of the other exhibitors.

Great show.

Tom

shinomaster
02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
neat, too, that portland has become a nexus for the "movement". as a kid, there was none of this vibe in portland. any guess what changed, or how the vibe sprung up?

Not sure...could be all the old hippies. Maybe they taught their children well? Honestly, to me it seems that Vanilla Bicycles helped sparked something here a few years ago. Kids who race cross and bike messengers who ride old Italian frames wanted something unique to call their own. I'm a perfect example. A few years back I never wanted another lugged steel bike. Now I'm getting a new Zank cross frame. I feel as though I've somehow been affected by this Portland bike culture--and this forum:)

Dave B
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I
I assume that Don Walker and co. probably feel that e-richie and Sacha have already won enough big awards and that the show has to spread the wealth among some of the other exhibitors.

I know so little about building that I cannot imagine how truly artisan it is....However, do you really think this is the case. if it were, it seems like an insult to those who win. "well, because so and so already is so great we will look for second tier."

Could be, but maybe the best won.

Like I said earlier, I think the builders I truly lust for seemto be overlooked often as they don't change much or may have some sort of attitude. I don't know.

I think the show and its purpose (at least in my eyes) truly is a joy to behold. The pictures are amazing and I can only hope next year will be as fantastic as in the past. Since i can actually make it to Indy! :beer:

d_douglas
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I knew Sam Whittingham from Victoria Canada when doing my undergrad - he knows bikes inside out.

As for the photos of his bike, it is definitely over the top, but that's what a bike show is for, right? Showcasing talent.

Interesting bit of info: Sam was the world record holder for human powered vehicle racing. I can't remember what the speed was, but it was crazy. I am sure the little docu about him would be available on YouTube.

goonster
02-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I think that Bruce Gordon may received his awards because of his longevity in the frame building business and his not-hidden feelings that he has been overlooked and under appreciated in the arena of hand-built bikes and in previous NAHBS awards. He certainly was not the most cordial framebuilder in attendance. Just my opinion.

Bruce Gordon won "Best of Show" last year, IIRC.

He gripes that his awards haven't translated into sales, but whatever it is that drives his perceived underappreciation, a lack of show awards is not it.

TMB
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I knew Sam Whittingham from Victoria Canada when doing my undergrad - he knows bikes inside out.

As for the photos of his bike, it is definitely over the top, but that's what a bike show is for, right? Showcasing talent.

Interesting bit of info: Sam was the world record holder for human powered vehicle racing. I can't remember what the speed was, but it was crazy. I am sure the little docu about him would be available on YouTube.
\

The video is on youtube.

I was actually going to phone him and see if that show bike was available.

Sam is a great guy, knows his bikes and builds beautiful bikes, meant to be ridden.

I really want to get another one - with the polished ss lugs - really nice.

I'm glad he won that award and maybe it draw some attention to him, he deserves it.

weisan
02-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Carbon: Crumpton
Yawn... :cool:

Nick-pal pretty much cornered the market.

Never underestimate the effort that he put in. This stuff that genius is made of don't happen overnight.

Nick, if you are listenin', I really need to come by and pick up one of your bikes to test drive on a 5-6 hours long ride, that short sprint down the neighborhood roads a couple of years ago won't cut it anymore.... :banana:

rwsaunders
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Despite my limited industry knowledge, it seems to me that there is a gentlemen from Italy who was overlooked for an award.

Not in the sense of an award for craftsmanship or for lust worthiness, but for his ability to stay motivated while battling a terrible disease. He has always been able to draw quite a few emotions from this group, in terms of his bikes and in terms of his general well being.

The photo link of the NAHBS builders that Roman Meal posted which showed Dario posing with one of his bikes was priceless.

Louis
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
He gripes that his awards haven't translated into sales

Of course, being Bruce as he is today might be what makes his talent special, but imagine where he would be if he had half of either the marketing talent or the people skills of some of the builders who hang out here.

DarrenCT
02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Despite my limited industry knowledge, it seems to me that there is a gentlemen from Italy who was overlooked for an award.

Not in the sense of an award for craftsmanship or for lust worthiness, but for his ability to stay motivated while battling a terrible disease. He has always been able to draw quite a few emotions from this group, in terms of his bikes and in terms of his general well being.

The photo link of the NAHBS builders that Roman Meal posted which showed Dario posing with one of his bikes was priceless.

BINGO

coylifut
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM

the vibe was under the surface ready to explode and without too much effort it was there to be found. I got into cycling in 1978. The Bike Gallery was selling lugged Treks built by Tim Issac, Vancouver Dave was the head wrench and Michael Sylvester (most known for his contributions to Serotta's fit process) was around as well. Glenn Sanders was training future national champions including his son who rode the Baby Giro and eventually turned pro.

the bike culture got a kick start in Portland in 1984 when Bud Clark was elected mayor. Bud commuted to City Hall either pedaling a bike or paddling a canoe. He was a fore runner in designating miles and miles of bike lanes and paths. Cycling was anointed by City Hall. He's most famous for this http://www.errolgraphics.com/pages/expose.html He's also famous for the Mayor's Ball that promoted the music scene where bands like Pearl Jam and Sound Garden played just before the grunge scene exploded. At that time, there were already 3 really good custom builders - Jim Merz (my favorite) Andy Newlands (Strawberry Cycles) and Mark DeNucci.

Soon after, came a bike commuting city councilman by the name of Earl Blumenauer who furthered Bud Clark's cause. However, the biggest boost to cycling occured when Mike and Candi Murray told the USCF to go eff them selves in 1996 and created OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association). This all coincided with the Lance Era and although cycling grew every where it exploded here in Portland.

About 6-7 years ago I started hearing a buzz about this Sacha guy who's making "old school" steel bikes. Sacha crossed the messenger scene with the local racing scene and what you saw this weekend in and around the Portland Convention Center is the result.

Does that help?

taz-t
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Not overlooked (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8988406@N03/2258359327/) and a pleasure to meet.

- taz

Louis
02-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Is it time for a coffee-table book on the history of American boutique framebuilders?

flux
02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
well... lance owns it now so it must be good.

Are you serious?

coylifut
02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Are you serious?

that's the story. Lance bought it. probably got it before Robin Williams could.

flux
02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Not sure...could be all the old hippies. Maybe they taught their children well? Honestly, to me it seems that Vanilla Bicycles helped sparked something here a few years ago. Kids who race cross and bike messengers who ride old Italian frames wanted something unique to call their own. I'm a perfect example. A few years back I never wanted another lugged steel bike. Now I'm getting a new Zank cross frame. I feel as though I've somehow been affected by this Portland bike culture--and this forum:)

Shino,

Do you know Irving St.? I rode the **** out of my Kent around that block when I was 4.

flux
02-11-2008, 10:39 PM
that's the story. Lance bought it. probably got it before Robin Williams could.

That is "girl style".

Peter B
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
\

The video is on youtube.

I was actually going to phone him and see if that show bike was available.

Sam is a great guy, knows his bikes and builds beautiful bikes, meant to be ridden.

I really want to get another one - with the polished ss lugs - really nice.

I'm glad he won that award and maybe it draw some attention to him, he deserves it.

As a racer, Sam is the real deal. He holds the following records:

* The 200 m flying start (single rider): 130.36 km/h (81.00 mph) on 2002-10-05.
* The 500 m flying start (single rider): 100.32 km/h (62.34 mph) on 1999-07-30. (Note: this record was surely broken during Whittingham and other riders’ attempts on the 1000 m record.)
* The 1000 m flying start (single rider): 128.40 km/h (79.79 mph) on 2001-10-06.
* The 1 mile flying start (single rider): 126.55 km/h (78.64 mph) on 2001-10-06.
* The hour record: 86.752 km (53.917 mi) on 2007-04-08.

I crewed Sam in 2004 on a 4-man RAAM team riding fully-faired recumbents--Team ALS Lightning. They finished in 5 days, 7 hours and 52 minutes. They broke the record for the most miles covered in a twenty-four period, then broke it again. Sam is an incredible racer, and one of the nicest people you could meet. Don't let the show bike fool you--he primarily builds practical bikes, workhorses meant to be ridden. It'll be interesting to see how the awards affect awareness of his work.

ashwa64
02-11-2008, 11:43 PM

um... where can i find this?

flux
02-12-2008, 12:18 AM
As a racer, Sam is the real deal. He holds the following records:

* The hour record: 86.752 km (53.917 mi) on 2007-04-08.

:p

Peter B
02-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Sam races recumbents--the Varna Diablo (http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2001/varna_detail.htm) --and goes FAST (http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/records/Fastest_Ever.htm) . Video here (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/sam-whittingham-53918-mph-world-hour-bicycle-record/3135022678) , records here (http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/fastest_list.asp) .

flux
02-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Sam races recumbents--the Varna Diablo (http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2001/varna_detail.htm) --and goes FAST (http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/records/Fastest_Ever.htm) . Video here (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/sam-whittingham-53918-mph-world-hour-bicycle-record/3135022678) , records here (http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/fastest_list.asp) .

Dude is hardcore.

Peter B
02-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Check Naked Bikes (http://www.fortebikes.com/) and click the Go Sam Go link. Ever crash at 80 mph? (http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2003/resultssaturday.htm)

shinomaster
02-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Shino,

Do you know Irving St.? I rode the **** out of my Kent around that block when I was 4.

No where is it?

Climb01742
02-12-2008, 05:04 AM
the vibe was under the surface ready to explode and without too much effort it was there to be found. I got into cycling in 1978. The Bike Gallery was selling lugged Treks built by Tim Issac, Vancouver Dave was the head wrench and Michael Sylvester (most known for his contributions to Serotta's fit process) was around as well. Glenn Sanders was training future national champions including his son who rode the Baby Giro and eventually turned pro.

the bike culture got a kick start in Portland in 1984 when Bud Clark was elected mayor. Bud commuted to City Hall either pedaling a bike or paddling a canoe. He was a fore runner in designating miles and miles of bike lanes and paths. Cycling was anointed by City Hall. He's most famous for this http://www.errolgraphics.com/pages/expose.html He's also famous for the Mayor's Ball that promoted the music scene where bands like Pearl Jam and Sound Garden played just before the grunge scene exploded. At that time, there were already 3 really good custom builders - Jim Merz (my favorite) Andy Newlands (Strawberry Cycles) and Mark DeNucci.

Soon after, came a bike commuting city councilman by the name of Earl Blumenauer who furthered Bud Clark's cause. However, the biggest boost to cycling occured when Mike and Candi Murray told the USCF to go eff them selves in 1996 and created OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association). This all coincided with the Lance Era and although cycling grew every where it exploded here in Portland.

About 6-7 years ago I started hearing a buzz about this Sacha guy who's making "old school" steel bikes. Sacha crossed the messenger scene with the local racing scene and what you saw this weekend in and around the Portland Convention Center is the result.

Does that help?

that's awesome! thanks a lot. that explains much. this summer when i took my family back, it was struck by how many people rode in the city. it was inspiring.

FMS_rider
02-12-2008, 07:22 AM
I have not been to NAHBS (but will finally be able to go next year!), so I should not be offering an opinion, but I think the awards thing clashes with the spirit of the show. I am sick of our obsession with being "the best" and the damage that has been done to so many in that quest. In sports, at least, a decision can be made on the basis of objective criteria (doping aside), but at NAHBS!?! Just reading the opinions on the "real reasons" why certain awards were given or not given should be enough to convince the organizer to drop the whole idea. I, for one, am going to contact him with that opinion.
Lew

Acotts
02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I have not been to NAHBS (but will finally be able to go next year!), so I should not be offering an opinion, but I think the awards thing clashes with the spirit of the show. I am sick of our obsession with being "the best" and the damage that has been done to so many in that quest. In sports, at least, a decision can be made on the basis of objective criteria (doping aside), but at NAHBS!?! Just reading the opinions on the "real reasons" why certain awards were given or not given should be enough to convince the organizer to drop the whole idea. I, for one, am going to contact him with that opinion.
Lew

I think the idea of the awards are to bring exposer to budding builders. It highlights new skills and innovations as opposed to deciding whose best.

nicrump
02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Yawn... :cool:

Nick-pal pretty much cornered the market.

Never underestimate the effort that he put in. This stuff that genius is made of don't happen overnight.

Nick, if you are listenin', I really need to come by and pick up one of your bikes to test drive on a 5-6 hours long ride, that short sprint down the neighborhood roads a couple of years ago won't cut it anymore.... :banana:

when the winner returns, you can take it out. it's my personal bike this time, should fit you well.

FMS_rider
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I think the idea of the awards are to bring exposer to budding builders. It highlights new skills and innovations as opposed to deciding whose best.Good point, but I would think a means could be devised for accomplishing that goal without the formal awards that, no matter how the decisions are made, are always going to be biased and influenced by history, traditions, friendships, emotion, trends, etc, and leave deserving builders unrecognized.

Any ideas out there regarding how "new skills and innovations" and other aspects of hand-bike-building could be highlighted and publicized without the awards?

What do builders think of the awards --particularly those who have received them? I must admit that awards have furthered my career (in an area unrelated to bike building), but I always thought there were others who were more deserving.

Perhaps I have become hopelessly idealistic in my old age.

Lew

flux
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
No where is it?

In the hood yo. Right next to the Starbucks.

Grant McLean
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
um... where can i find this?

portraits:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43343745@N00/sets/72157603890593850/

-g

davids
02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
portraits:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43343745@N00/sets/72157603890593850/

-gFantastic! Thanks for the link.

ashwa64
02-13-2008, 06:10 AM
thanks for the link.

what's this about framebuilder of the year? it's not listed under the awards, but i heard there was such an award. please fill me in.

mjb266
02-13-2008, 04:59 PM
I think that they should be given a "torch" of sorts and should pass the torch from builder to builder. The Fillet torch should be made of fillets from the previous winners. The lugged torch should be lugs. It'd give the current winning builder something cooler than a 5 foot trophy and they could add onto the trophy with their contribution. Just keep passing it along from year to year.

Karin Kirk
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
The best of show trophy is much like that. It's a cool handmade deal that gets passed from one winner to the next.

mjb266
02-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Does Dave get to add to it? It'd be cool to see each builder's work after ten years or so.

Karin Kirk
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Does Dave get to add to it? It'd be cool to see each builder's work after ten years or so.

No, that special trophy is only for the overall "Best in Show" which went to the Naked Cycles fancy town bike. It would be neat to see each builder add a flair to the trophy, but I don't think that's how it works.

mosca
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Here's (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tech/shows/nahmbs08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/tech/shows/nahmbs08/nahmbs084/Bruce_Gordon_NAHBS_award) the trophy - I think it is permissible if not mandatory for the winner to add something to it.

ashwa64
02-14-2008, 04:33 AM
yes, now back to this issue of frame-builder of the year...

mosca
02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
yes, now back to this issue of frame-builder of the year...Dario (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=482094&postcount=19)