PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Roubaix Pro?

dbrk
08-20-2004, 03:35 AM
Vowing to have little real interest in modern techno-bikes seems not to have dampened curiosity especially when the bike has notable, sensible geometries. Has anyone else read the Cycling News review of Specialized's Roubaix Pro? I was immediately taken by the reviewer's discomfort with comfortable geometry (a sure sign that I would prefer this bike to others. The relaxed headtube angles, the genial seattube angle even in the smaller sizes, a "longer" chainstay (at a whoppin' 41.8 on the virtual 58) but best of all the rather sensible wheelbase numbers, all much longer than what we would expect on a "race" bike that comes from the shorter, faster, stiffer school (for the most part). I'm not rushing out to get one and Lord knows these American bikes are likely glued in Taiwan (that being nothing to commend or condemn them but nonetheless not the sort of handcraft that spins my noggin'round...). I wonder what the jerk thinks about these geos, say, in comparison to the Merckx or Pegoretti. The numbers here, leaving aside all the bs about the Zertz insert's dampening etc., look appealing. I was struck too by Sinyard's claim that many of the Euro pros prefer such geometries, an indication of how American riders are treated to what I call crit-bike numbers (short chainstays, high bb's, short wheelbase, etc.).

dbrk
currently with 36 yogis in his house for the weekend to be followed next weekend with BenKnows How Many Serottans for the TdFL...

rnhood
08-20-2004, 06:21 AM
I rode one of these around a parking lot and thought it felt very, very good. Quiet, smooth, efficient and outstanding initial comfort. However, since I am not a seasoned cyclist I am hesitant to pronounce any kind of judgement on it and, one ride around a parking lot is hardly enough time to assess it's attributes. But I do know that I wanted to just keep on riding it.

As I remember "Bicycling" magazine also did a review a month or two ago (maybe a capsule type review) and pronounced it the most comfortable bike that they have ridden with virtualy no tradeoff in performance other than what would be expected in comparison to sharp angled all-out racing machine.

quattro
08-20-2004, 07:11 AM
I would expect Bicycling Magazine to have a new most comfortable bike they have ever ridden once the review of the Parlee comes out, probably within the next few months. Watch for it!

BarryG
08-20-2004, 07:17 AM
The relaxed headtube angles, the genial seattube angle even in the smaller sizes, a "longer" chainstay . . . rather sensible wheelbase numbers
not to mention the generous headtube length ;-)

pale scotsman
08-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Ahhh, but those viscoelastic inserts give me second thoughts. I mean how long do they expect them to last out in the elements? A couple riding buds have the seatpost and swear by it.

A "local" lbs has one in stock and I've ridden it. The bike just does something different. I think it's the geometry, which is refreshing compared to most go fast brands, and the zerts inserts.

jerk
08-20-2004, 07:41 AM
dbrk-
the bike is a good idea and represents the road bike most people really need. shop down that head tube and it's not really all that different from the bikes most guys are using in some of the spring classics. personally, the jerk thinks the zertz thing is a marketing gimic which does absolutly nothing. the fact of the matter is if you remove those rubber bumpers from the frame the silly thing still rides and feels about the same. having seen the horrible mess that is a specialized carbon from the inside...(lots of bondo, bladder remnents, filler and the like) the jerk would recommend trek's copy cat bike which should be out soon called the pilot. this thing employs far better carbon construction from what the jerk has seen and actually utilizes a full "wrap" of elastomer internally between two layers of carbon...now you guys all know that the jerk has many pals at trek who periodically ask for his stupid opinions and with this bike they almost sort have listened. it's basically the geometry and not the gobbly gook which makes for the ride...and trekm pretty much just made the pilot a racing bike which employs the geometry most racing bikes had 10-15 years ago throughout the pro peloton and the geometry most paris-rpoubaix bikes continue to have.

jerk

eddief
08-20-2004, 08:30 AM
It is difficult to get the real feel when you have to stop and dial in seat height as you ride and the pedals don't feel quite right, etc. The bike felt great just going over the road and bumps I have often driven over on my steel and ti bikes. Roubaix was definitely a bit smoother, so what? As I said in an earlier post, the ht angle is relaxed as I recall and the st angle is about 73 as normal. So even with its longer wheel base I felt like I was still sitting on top of the pedals when I prefer to sit back a bit more. Seems like they lengthened the wheel base only via ht angle and fork rake, so its all in the front of the bike. The other small thing I noticed was that due to the fairly ultra compact/sloping top tube design, the rear brake cable as it passed the seat tube kept finding my leg during the pedal stroke. But all in all the ride was great and a fine bike for those with that taste. The bars were also wrapped in Phat, and next to tire inflation that can really add to smoothness of the ride for about $50.

Marron
08-20-2004, 12:06 PM
I was intruiged as well until I noted that the ST angle is 73 degrees. That's not particularly slack and I too would feel perched over the pedals if that's the case. Why don't they just give up and slavishly copy the master's (Merckx) geometry? I've never heard of anyone with a better solution for classics style racing. I'd llike to try one, but I suspect that it would disappoint.

bostondrunk
08-20-2004, 12:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the 'elastomers' or whatever they are called are simply glued to the size of the tubes, no? How would this have any effect on dampening? Nice looking frame, and looks like the geometry gives it a shorter top tube than, say, a Giant or Trek, which is good for some of us..

jl123
08-20-2004, 03:59 PM
It would seem that Klein (Trek as well) have a more well-thought-out (maybe better than Moots as well) take on the suspension theme click here to see

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/news/apr30

I must say though that in order to really tell wether any of these suspensions work- and to what extent, one would have to ride these in pretty much all in the same exact spec(tires, similar parts, geo's), plus back to back.

ChamUK
08-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Here's their take on the Roubaix

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/specialized_roubaix_pro

jl123
08-23-2004, 10:00 PM
That was quite the effusive review in cyclingnews. One wonders if the review wasn't a little extra positive due to advertising dollars, or wether the writer truly feels that Specialized is onto something. Myself, I'd love to see the Roubaix really put to the test; have Specialized make the same exact frame with the same parts only without the Zertz inserts (well maybe leave them in the seatpost and handlebar) and next install (maybe slightly tweak the geometry to accept such wide tires) 35c tires. I bet the reviewers would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Zertz 23c and the non-Zertz 35c bikes??

vaxn8r
08-23-2004, 10:11 PM
With or without the inserts, isn't it exactly the same thing that Colnago does on their chainstays? I mean, these inserts just pop out leaving a little hole in the fork/frame/post. I don't hear too many questioning Ernesto...but then he is the master.

marle
08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
I bought a 58cm Roubaix Comp 18 in July. Plain vanilla Ultegra but I swapped the wheels for Velomax Circuit. It's light, fast, comfortable and good handling. Is it a great bike? Not quite. But for $2500 it's very nice.

jl123
08-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Liebovic,
Being that you actually have one, would you agree with my prediction about the Roubaix feeling no more comfortable than a similar geometry bike with wide (35c or so) tires? Thanks, Jeremy

Serotta PETE
08-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Had a chance over the past year to ride Allez and M series for a few hundred miles. They are great riding bikes for the money.

I will take a Serotta or Sachs any day of the week BUT for those who have a budget point - - - you can not go wrong with the Specialized. They are readily available and give a very nice, responsive ride. IMO as a recreational rider.

Pete

marle
08-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Jeremy -- the Roubaix does benefit from having much lower roll resistance and improved cornering on 23c tires. The Roubaix w/o Zertz and 35c would be as smooth (as mine) but would lack acceleration and cornering.

dbrk
08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Wider tires accelerate less well than skinny tires? Is there something scientific in this I don't understand? This is not my experience. When you go up to a 35c tire I would agree that cornering is not as sharp but that, of course, would not be the point of putting on such a wide tire. The acceleration point just doesn't signify to me.

dbrk

jl123
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Liebovic,

Thanks for your observations. Are the Zertz pieces removable? If so, your bike would make a great experimental rig- that is to ride it with the inserts in and then out and then with wider and then skinny tires. I'm sure the ride probably would change through each iteration, just how much and whether to any real noticable benefit would be the interesting part. I wonder how large a tire the Roubaix can take? Thanks, JL