PDA

View Full Version : Tube Sets?

97CSI
02-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Have just embarked on building a new be-spoke lugged bike with a local builder (HHR). Placed the order yesterday and we have just started the process of selecting lugs, tubeset, etc. The bike will be a touring model with full lugs, eyelets for panniers and fenders and disc brakes. First order of business is comfort (will be similar to my supremely comfortable CSI), followed by strength. Am wondering what tubeset one should select to acheive this end and still remain relatively light in weight? Many tubesets out there to choose from. Thanks.

J.Greene
02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Does the builder not have the experience to tell you what to do, or even boil it down to a couple of suggestions?

JG

Have just embarked on building a new be-spoke lugged bike with a local builder (HHR). Placed the order yesterday and we have just started the process of selecting lugs, tubeset, etc. The bike will be a touring model with full lugs, eyelets for panniers and fenders and disc brakes. First order of business is comfort (will be similar to my supremely comfortable CSI), followed by strength. Am wondering what tubeset one should select to acheive this end and still remain relatively light in weight? Many tubesets out there to choose from. Thanks.

97CSI
02-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes. He has been building for almost 30 years. However, there is a wealth of information available on this forum and I would be interested in what others have to say. Columbus, Reynolds, True Temper, Dedacciai. Lots of flavors out there.

J.Greene
02-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Yes. He has been building for almost 30 years. However, there is a wealth of information available on this forum and I would be interested in what others have to say. Columbus, Reynolds, True Temper, Dedacciai. Lots of flavors out there.

I know he has, and that is kinda my point. Hopefully he has asked you about all you want to do, he knows what loads you want to carry. He knows what you weigh. All you have asked is about tube sets. It's a smug answer, but no one on this board knows as much as HH for your build. And you builder will have some of his own preferences that will there because he has been building for 30 years. That is just my opinion.

JG

CNY rider
02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I'll second Mr. Greene.

I have two customs that were made for me.
My Legend was my first custom bike. I knew very little about anything back then, so I didn't even try to have input into tubing selection.

My Mariposa came last fall. Mr. Barry has 30+ years of experience and to be honest, he really wasn't looking for my input on that decision. To be more honest, it would have worried me if he had been.

I spend a lot of time on this forum, and may think I know a few things about tubing and bicycles but that would probably be just enough to make me dangerous. You're paying for the custom builders expertise in all things bike related; don't short change yourself by trying to spec tubing. Let the master do his work.

stevep
02-10-2008, 11:25 AM
ditto.
tell him what you want the bike to do.
let him decide the tubing.
its not important.