PDA

View Full Version : Helmets: What's on your head?

oldfatslow
02-09-2008, 11:41 PM
It's time for a new lid. Both of mine are showing cracks or other issues.

What are you wearing that you would recommend?

My preferences in order:

1.) Cool. I live in a super hot climate so air flow is critical.
2.) Fit adjustment. I prefer something that is easy (one handed) to adjust while on the road.
3.) Light (relatively speaking).

Finally I have a huge melon so I need a helmet that's large.

Please let me know what I should consider.

Blue Jays
02-09-2008, 11:45 PM
My favorite so far is the Bell Sweep R. Hey, that rhymes!
Anyway, it is lightweight, meets all current safety standards, and I love the on-the-fly adjustment wheel at the rear of the helmet.

huey
02-09-2008, 11:55 PM
I live in Phoenix, so I understand a super hot climate.

I'm currently using a Specialized Decibel, which has been great. I've also used a Giro Atmos without any complaints. IMHO, the Specialized retention system feels more secure than the Giro. :beer:

RIHans
02-09-2008, 11:58 PM
But I live in a kinda temperant place. Never, mostly never, gets above 90F.

If it does for long , it's a heat wave. New England. Cool South West breeze.

regularguy412
02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm using a Giro Atmos '06 model. Light and cool. Fits really well and easy to adjust -- much easier than the older style Specialized Piranha that I had. You can probably find an '06 or '07 model that's just as good and substantially cheaper than the '08's. Check Performance or Nashbar. My head is right on the size change between small and medium. I usually get the medium size, since it's just a bit larger to help with cooling,yet the retention system will still hold it firmly.

Oh! It gets ugly, nasty hot and humid here in the summer -- 90's plus and 50% plus on the humidity. There's really nothing that keeps you truly 'cool'. You sweat and it drips. However, this helmet is far cooler than any of my old Giros or my Specialized.

Mike in AR

Nil Else
02-10-2008, 02:02 AM
My favorite so far is the Bell Sweep R. Hey, that rhymes!
Anyway, it is lightweight, meets all current safety standards, and I love the on-the-fly adjustment wheel at the rear of the helmet.

I 2nd Sweep R.

I have Giro: Ionos, Atmos, Pneumo and Bell: Ghisallo & Sweep R.

And yes, I have a huge mellon.

The best fit: Bell Sweep R. It's like a custom fitted helmet on my mellon. A perfect fit. My head is in the helmet perfectly unlike how many helmets that sorta sit over my head or somewhat fits my head. Perfectly low even profile, i.e, no mushroom head; perfect minimal equidistant profile all around without mushrooming out. It fit so perfect that it's not a good helmet for winter riding for me as with a skullcap it'll be too tight. No carbon fiber bracings which I could care less. Cheapest. If you look around you can have it for about $75 delivered. 2008 red, black and white color I like as most of my helmets are all black or white; good intense fire engine red. I could have done without the white; just red and black would have been great but no complaint.. really. The best one for me. It's like a custom tailored suit. It's the one I've been looking for for a long time.

The 2nd best fit: Giro Atmos. Quite roomy and comfy. Enough room for skull cap etc for cold weather.

#3: Giro Ionos. Although ought-to-be the same Giro sizing as Atmos but actually smaller yet more elongated. And also more of mushroomy kinda helmet than Atmos but blingy cool helmet though. Not the greatest fit but it's kinda cool.

#4: Bell Ghisallo: a big helmet with a lots of room. If you find Large Atmos or Ghisallo too small you have a very very huge mellon that you for sure will have hard time finding a helmet that will fit you well.

#5: Pneumo: Mushroom helmet that sits pretty high. I don't really care for it. Smaller than Atmos or Ghisallo or Sweep.

Good luck.

soulspinner
02-10-2008, 04:39 AM
Bell Ghisallo(starting to crack in the inside) and a cheap Garneau thats just as good. Had a Giro that did what its supposed to do. Had to chuck it after the wreck... :crap:

Bruce K
02-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Bell Sweep R is my primary helmet.

My Pneumo will reach the end of its life cycle (I go 3 years and out - it's a motorsports thing) this spring and will probably be replaced by a Lazer genesis.

BK

stevep
02-10-2008, 06:47 AM
try some on.
only way.
i use an atmos and i have a big melon also.

saab2000
02-10-2008, 06:50 AM
There are bike helmets?

Well, I may need one myself this year. I use a Pneumo (when I use one) and it is actually getting a bit abused. There is a slight crack in the styrofoam in one place and the straps and pads are getting pretty nasty. I got it when they first came out about 5 or more years ago.

I have to actually say that it was the first helmet that was really nearly the equivelant of not wearing one at all in terms of comfort. I am sure the newer ones are even better.

Giro works pretty well with my head shape so I will try another one. But some of the Bells look pretty nice too.

BTW, does it make a real difference in the sun to have a white helmet vs a black helmet? I like the Matte Black Atmos but I would imagine them to be too warm.

jpw
02-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Hair...and a white Giro E2 (still made?) with a vizor - recommended for sun glare and rain on lenses. Not a 'go faster' design, but real comfy for my head size and shape.

Michael Maddox
02-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Here's a third for the Bell. I have worn a Ghisallo for the past couple of years, and have found it to be wonderful. I am, however, very disappointed with the typical selection of helmets in the US. I usually see Bell, Specialized, Giro, Trek, and that's about it. I just ordered a MET Stradivarius for the coming season, just to be different. Based on what I'd heard, it's pretty well contoured for a similar fit as the Bell. I'll keep you posted.

Chad Engle
02-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Freakishly large head. Had a Pneomo, always pushed on forehead. It cracked, tried the Bell Sweep R, fits much nicer. Light and cool. Can't tell it's there.

davids
02-10-2008, 09:19 AM
try some on.
only way.
i use an atmos and i have a big melon also.stevep's correct. What works for me isn't necessarily what will work for you.

Having said that...

I just bought a Bell Ghisallo to replace my aging Giro Eclipse. I found that the more expensive Giros (Atmos, etc.), equipped with some sophisticated fit mechanism, had plastic bits that rubbed my head in annoying places. Probably less of an issue if you've got more hair than I do (which I did, last time I bought a helmet...) I, too, have a really large head. Just so you know.

The Ghisallo has very large vents, so I think it should keep me nice and cool (hasn't been an issue just yet). It's heavier than my old Eclipse, but not so I notice while wearing it. It looks cool, sorta.

I got the Ghisallo for a ridiculously good price - I can't see spending $150+ when, for about 1/3 of the price I can get pretty much the same functionality and comfort.

Cdub
02-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I live in Phoenix, so I understand a super hot climate.

I'm currently using a Specialized Decibel, which has been great. I've also used a Giro Atmos without any complaints. IMHO, the Specialized retention system feels more secure than the Giro. :beer:

+1 to the Specialized. Here in Houston 95-98 plus 90%+ humidity. I had a an Atmos before with no complaints, but the Decibel fits "like a glove"

97CSI
02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Giro Eclipse for many years. When I landed poorly on an MTB jump and smacked a tree it rang my bell for about 30 seconds and scrapped/bruised my cheek. Split the Eclipse, but saved my head. When deanster took his 35mph tumble this past fall it broke his Eclipse into three pieces and he was knocked out for several minutes. But, he is no crazier than ever today (still bombing those downhills). We both say a huge "Thank You" to Giro for the Eclipse. They are on-sale at Performance for $50 and Nashbar for $45. Bought another one to put on the shelf in the closet.

velotel
02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
wool cap when it's cold, my hair the rest of the time. Worked great for 57 years so far.

Hardlyrob
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Bell Sweep - Tried it on in the shop, and that was that. Great fit, light, great vents - but then this is New England, and it's not all that hot in the summer compared to many other places.

Cheers!

Rob

rcflyboy
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Bell Sweep R. Great fit, easy one dial adj and light. Tried it on at LBS and then bought it on Ebay about two months ago for $75 shipped. It's the 2007 model but not really much different for 2008 one.

Ahneida Ride
02-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Bell Metro .... very comfortable .... Plenty of features ....

But perhaps a bit too hot for Florida !

Viper
02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I just want to go on record, I've worn an ATMOs Giro before I met e-RICHIE. Coincidence? You decide.

Carry on.

AgilisMerlin
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
giro monza :beer:

KeithS
02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I too endorse the Sweep R. Gets kinda toasty here on the priaire in the summer, this is as cool a helmet as I've ever worn.

alancw3
02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
as much is i don't like trek i love my anthem helmet. ultra light with great ventilation.

manet
02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
2 pnemos... one on sale, the other at team price.
but i have large feet.

Simon Q
02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Depends what shape your big melon is. My gargantuan melon is long end to end and I find Giro the only helmets that will accommodate that. I have an Atmos and Pneumo and the P is more comfy - for me. I understand that Bell helmets (who also have a large Large) are more round. Liked the look of Lazer Gen but not even close to fitting.

Good luck. Large of cranium unite!

Bud_E
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I have a big skull with not much inside of it. ATMOS large for me. But it comes down to what fits. ASFAIK if it passes the ANSI and whatever else impact tests it just comes down to what fits your kepala and what looks good.

rinconryder
02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
fifth, sixth or whatever it is at this point the Bell Sweep R. The most comfortable lid I have ever worn and has minimal padding in it that has held up really well for me over the past two years or so I have had it, over which I have logged many miles.

That being said, I am in the camp that says you either have a Bell head or Giro head. Giro just doesn't fit my dome the way a Bell does, but some may say that a Bell doesn't fit their dome the way a Giro does.

If you are lucky enough to have a Bell head though, get the Sweep!

Kervin
02-11-2008, 10:15 AM
9+ Bell Sweep R 2007. Very clost fit with no pressure points.

davids
02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
...That being said, I am in the camp that says you either have a Bell head or Giro head. Giro just doesn't fit my dome the way a Bell does, but some may say that a Bell doesn't fit their dome the way a Giro does.

If you are lucky enough to have a Bell head though, get the Sweep!I thought the same thing, after trying a bunch of helmets and buying a Giro a few years back. So I was really surprised to find that the Bells felt like a better fit for me this time.

All you Sweep guys - Did you try out the Ghisallo? It felt pretty much identical and looks better (less spiky in the back), atmo.

http://www.kiwivelo.co.nz/images/Product_images/35/SweepR_white.gif vs. http://photos7.flickr.com/6658925_3ed783050e_m.jpg

MilanoTom
02-11-2008, 10:29 AM
LAS Bionix.

It looks like some kind of Klingon thing, but it's comfortable, super easy to adjust, and the ventilation is great.

Regards.
Tom

T-Crush
02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Tough to find, but very nice fit for the larger headed folks (I'm in a 7 3/4 fitted Dodger cap at the moment). I've had lots of Giro helmets over the years, not too many Bells and have heard you either have a head for one or the other in terms of comfort. I'd be interested to hear the comments from those that wear both, as that little rumor has always made me shy away from the Bells.

rinconryder
02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I thought the same thing, after trying a bunch of helmets and buying a Giro a few years back. So I was really surprised to find that the Bells felt like a better fit for me this time.

All you Sweep guys - Did you try out the Ghisallo? It felt pretty much identical and looks better (less spiky in the back), atmo.

http://www.kiwivelo.co.nz/images/Product_images/35/SweepR_white.gif vs. http://photos7.flickr.com/6658925_3ed783050e_m.jpg

Agreed. Same fit. I happened to prefer the look of the Sweep R, but I couldn't really tell the diff. between the two - got a deal I couldn't pass up on the Sweep R. Maybe lighter by a bit? I would guess not much though.

Nil Else
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Agreed. Same fit. I happened to prefer the look of the Sweep R, but I couldn't really tell the diff. between the two - got a deal I couldn't pass up on the Sweep R. Maybe lighter by a bit? I would guess not much though.

No, I don't agree. Ghisallo is bigger or roomier, especially up towards the front, where as Sweep R fits, my head, absolutely perfect all around.

As for Limar helmets, they are way too narrow/ small for me. I've tried and returned a few of them. Some cool ones but I can't wear them.

rinconryder
02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
No, I don't agree. Ghisallo is bigger or roomier, especially up towards the front, where as Sweep R fits, my head, absolutely perfect all around.

As for Limar helmets, they are way too narrow/ small for me. I've tried and returned a few of them. Some cool ones but I can't wear them.

Okay, so I went out and tried on my Ghisallo - which I hadn't worn in a long time, and you are right, they do feel different. The Sweep R is more comfortable on my head.

ClutchCargo
02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
on the road, Bell Sweep R, after years and years of various Giros.
nice and light, good ventilation and good looks (fwiw).

Giro E2 for the mountain bike.

bottom line, tho, is wear what works for you, no?

davids
02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
No, I don't agree. Ghisallo is bigger or roomier, especially up towards the front.That helps explain why it works so well for me. I'm a medium guy with a x-large head...

StefanZ
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
My whole families rides with Bell Ghisallo; its a great helmet; resonably priced (you can get good deals online) and widely adjustable. I commute with one every day, its robust and dries fast if it gets wet.
http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=2
My 2Cents