PDA

View Full Version : Ride reports?

CNY rider
02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Do we still do bike related stuff here?
Maybe this will help get the forum back on track.

Just got back from awesome 100 minutes ride on mainly seasonal dirt roads. Only a little pavement thrown in to connect the loops.

Air temp around 31 F, 1-2 inches fresh snow on top of frozen mud and ice. Snowing lightly while I rode.

Simply beautiful. Passed by 2 motorized vehicles in 100 minutes.

The Nokians were, as always, a thing of beauty.

Anyone else riding?

barry1021
02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Last Tuesday was Bartlett Lake in Scottsdale/Carefree AZ with my new friend Zmudshark that ToomanyBikes introduced me to. Tuesday was brilliantly sunny and cool, mid 50's. Monday had been rainy and cold, and it snowed in the hills so the mountains around Carefree were white Tuesday AM. Zmud and I had ridden together for the first time a few days before. He is obviously a stronger rider than I, but he has not been on the bike much so I was able to keep up. For those of you visiting Scottsdale, this ride is a must, particularly now when there is not much boat traffic. It's 5 miles up to the road to the lake from my house and then about 14 miles to the lake through Tonto National Park. There are two uphills sections going to the lake, the rest is flat or down. The lake is gorgeous and it is now full vs. dangerously low just last THanksgiving. The ride back from the lake is up up and up, but not too severe, about 4500 feet of climb over the 14 miles I believe, just right for an old man (I am 55 and one year junior to Zmud). I felt much stronger than the first time that I did it, and the four mile climb from the lake felt relatively easy in the granny. We stopped once on the way back to rest and catch our breath. THe last climb was the hardest; I knew that I could not stop and had to push through. It seems on the last leg that ever time I was ready to say No Mas, it would flatten out a little to allow me to catch up. We stopped at the end of the road for a high five and then headed back to the house. 39 miles, at an average of 12 MPH, but what a great ride!!!

B21

oldfatslow
02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I live in Austin and the temp here at 7:30 was about 36 degrees and then warmed to about 70. Blue skies. Dry. Most excellent to be out on the bike.

I don't envy you guys with the snow on the ground.

This was my third ride on the road in six months (I'm recovering from an injury and some surgery to fix me). I only rode for a little over two hours and as understandably poor my fitness is it was great to get out on the road, get the wind in my face, talk with they guys, and enjoy the beauty of riding the bike.

Mr. Butterworth
02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Last hour of my ride was in pretty intense snow. That was unexpected.
It was my first ride in a couple weeks, so I didn't mind much. Felt good to be in the saddle for a few hours no matter what the weather.

rePhil
02-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I rode today for the first time in a week. Caught a cold last Sunday so I didn't commute all week. It was 63 degrees @ 7:30 this morning so I went out for a few hours of easy spinning. Year round riding is one of the few good things about living in Florida.

Blue Jays
02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Today's ride was 38 miles and somewhat cut short by increasing sleet. Oddly enough, it didn't feel cold, although how I wished for a fast, fender-equipped bicycle! Overcast conditions were gray enough that eight of us had the blinkies flashing as a precautionary measure. About 2000 vertical feet of climbing with the maximum incline at 14% but only for a couple hundred meters. All-in-all, it was a great day on the bicycle. We're pedaling again tomorrow with the easy target set at 55 miles.

yarg
02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Tried to get out early to beat the snow - almost made it. 32 miles total, last 7-8 in intense snow, all on the fixed. Didn't feel cold, kinda got into thinking what people were thinking of me that last 7-8.

johnnymossville
02-09-2008, 05:53 PM
in the bright sunshine. The weather reports online said rain, but they couldn't have been more wrong. It was probably 50 degrees out. Had a great one.

CNY rider
02-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Glad to hear lots of folks were out there today.

Keep the reports coming. :beer:

rnhood
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
A group of us rode the Frostbite Tour (http://www.frostbitetour.org/frostbite/) century route, as a training exercise for the actual event in a couple weeks. Temperature was made to order, about 45 when we started, about 60 when we finished. The wind picked up considerably the final 20 or so miles, which was the only aggrevating element of this ride. Otherwise the Clayton/Archers Lodge area provides some of the best road bike riding in not only the RDU area but, the entire state!

Now I'm sitting here and recovering, getting ready for another big ride tomorrow in the Falls Lake area.

Ti-Boy
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Our ride leader and two others bailed pre-start due to snow. Three of us managed 22 miles as snow changed to rain. Sunday's ride start is due to be in the teens with windchill. But, it is a pancake ride. We start at the local firehouse and return to all you can eat pancakes/eggs/toast etc. for $5.

Blue Jays
02-09-2008, 06:24 PM
/\/\ All-you-can-eat breakfast for $5.00? And it benefits a fire company? Where in the world is that excellent deal found? Holy cow! :beer:

thwart
02-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Rollers for 1:30... in the garage, with the door open.

Sun briefly here at noon, 33 degrees, but by the time I was free, it was snowing and the temp had dropped to 28 with a stiff wind. Black ice sucks.

And tonight wind chills to minus 50... that's right, 50 below zero.

Spring is coming.

chuckroast
02-09-2008, 06:51 PM
It was sunny and mid 40's today in KC but the winds were from the northwest and gusting to 30. Facing a sure cold front tonight that will drop temps into the teens tomorrow, I guilt tripped myself into a ride. An hour later I was totally happy I did and wished I hadn't had the internal debate.

Does anyone else find the really low winter sun angles distracting when they ride this time of year? Not only is it blinding for me, I get nervous about drivers being able to see me.

Elefantino
02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I had low bronchitis last month and it's taking a while to get back into shape. This morning, for the second straight weekend, I'm falling like a stone off the back (immediately after a pull) after 10 miles or so because I'm winded.

Anyone else wheezing?

Blue Jays
02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
/\/\ chuckroast, funny you should make that comment about the sunlight angle. My approach to our meeting spot has the sun practically just atop the roadway squarely in the eyes of drivers approaching from the rear!
I've often considered finding an alternate route simply due to those brief four miles to the main rendezvous point. :eek: