PDA

View Full Version : NAHBS: Kirk Frameworks

FlaRider
02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
A request to Forum Members Attending NAHBS.....If you could please take pics of Dave Kirk's booth at the show and post them here, it would be much appreciated. In particular, I am would like to see pics of a pearl white Kirk with mint green panels....which, as you probably guessed, is my incoming Kirk! :banana:

Thanks is advance!!

dave thompson
02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
A request to Forum Members Attending NAHBS.....If you could please take pics of Dave Kirk's booth at the show and post them here, it would be much appreciated. In particular, I am would like to see pics of a pearl white Kirk with mint green panels....which, as you probably guessed, is my incoming Kirk! :banana:

Thanks is advance!!
Sorry, there's been a power failure at the NAHBS show. No lighting, hence no pictures. Power expected to be restored by Monday A.M. :D

MarleyMon
02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
In that case, just grab it and run!

taz-t
02-09-2008, 07:25 PM
very nice... sorry but pics on the other camera (no cable). will post Monday if no one posts first.

Sandy
02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Dave's bikes are so beautiful that they look great with or without light! :)

Not beautiful even in light,

Sandy

MRB
02-09-2008, 07:42 PM
FlaRider,

I emailed you a photo that I found on the web. Check your email.

Unfortunately I am not at the show, if I were I'd send ya' a bunch.

Did you get the new JK Special.... or is this confidential information? :rolleyes:

If I find any more photos when I'm online I'll forward them or a link to them.

old_school
02-09-2008, 09:02 PM
wow

http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/kirk.jpg

rnhood
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
You can view the pictures on the Urban Velo (http://urbanvelo.org/nahbs-2008-friday-feb-8th-2/) site. Lots of nice lugged steel bikes being displayed there.

shinomaster
02-10-2008, 02:10 AM

Thanks is advance!!

Saw it...it was lovely, as were the Kirks. :beer:

big shanty
02-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Shino...good times "laying the foundation" with you and Zank :beer:

pdbrye
02-10-2008, 08:54 AM
wow

My vote for bike of the year! At least so far...

Onno
02-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Looks more Reynolds than Kirk.

FlaRider
02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
FlaRider,

I emailed you a photo that I found on the web. Check your email.

Unfortunately I am not at the show, if I were I'd send ya' a bunch.

Did you get the new JK Special.... or is this confidential information? :rolleyes:

If I find any more photos when I'm online I'll forward them or a link to them.

Hi, MRB,

I did not get a JK Special since they were not being offered at the time I placed my order. I ordered a fillet brazed road frame. I did not get your e-mail. Can you please re-send?

Thanks,

R

DarrenCT
02-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi, MRB,

I did not get a JK Special since they were not being offered at the time I placed my order. I ordered a fillet brazed road frame. I did not get your e-mail. Can you please re-send?

Thanks,

R

r, post the pic when u get it immediately :)

FlaRider
02-10-2008, 10:44 AM
r, post the pic when u get it immediately :)

Will do. :beer:

zank
02-10-2008, 10:48 AM
What Shino said...

Kirk007
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
sorry there's not more - my kid had the camera and must've figured since I had my Kirks he didn't need to snap away at the new ones....

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/landshark_98/P2080323.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/landshark_98/P2080143.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/landshark_98/P2080142.jpg

shinomaster
02-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Shino...good times "laying the foundation" with you and Zank :beer:

Dude...I got toasted at that bar. Thanks for inspiring me to go out and drink and be social. I think Zank enjoyed himself too. :beer:

FlaRider
02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the pic! Appreciate it very much.

mosca
02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
FlaRider, your bike won best fillet-brazed at NAHBS - congrats! Dave got a nice trophy that's nearly as tall as he is.

I have a decent shot of it but won't be able to resize and post it until I get back to work on Wednesday. If you like, pm me with your email address and I'll email you the full res shot.

RudAwkning
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Here you go. Karin asked me to take some snaps for you. Sweeet ride my friend.

Smiley
02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Freaking great fillets , Thats what I am talking about :banana:

shanerpvt
02-10-2008, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=mosca]FlaRider, your bike won best fillet-brazed at NAHBS - congrats! Dave got a nice trophy that's nearly as tall as he is.
QUOTE]

Congratulations Dave!

:beer:

shaner

Keith A
02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
We are certainly fortunate to have some great builders around here...and DK is indeed one of them!

FlaRider -- You're a lucky guy!

DarrenCT
02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
We are certainly fortunate to have some great builders around here...and DK is indeed one of them!

FlaRider -- You're a lucky guy!

BINGO

that mint green panel is freekin sweet

shinomaster
02-10-2008, 09:33 PM
BINGO

that mint green panel is freekin sweet

Dude in person it sparkled, as if it were mica.

FierteTi52
02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
FlaRider, your bike won best fillet-brazed at NAHBS - congrats! Dave got a nice trophy that's nearly as tall as he is.

Great looking bike and way to go DK. A trophy is well deserved, but I didn't think they made trophies as tall a Dave. LOL
Jeff

bironi
02-11-2008, 12:35 AM
And that pearl white caught my eye. I had one of the Spectrum Powder Works guys over to have a look at what I want as a base coat for my rebuilt Medici. Very nice looking new bike. :beer:

IXXI
02-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Got a few of your bike in there on my NAHBS Orgy flickr set; search Kirk. Apologies in advance for the quality of 99% of these. I was rattled all weekend long. Can't imagine why.

Hit 'view as slideshow' and kick back. http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_a/sets/72157603886154452/

And yeah, your bike won a freaking AWARD AT NAHBS!!! Buy a lottery ticket NOW.

conorb
02-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Thanks is advance!!

I believe that frame won the Best Fillet Brazed bike award.

I voted for it. :cool:

A real keeper. :)

conorb

FlaRider
02-11-2008, 07:03 AM
WOW!! What's a nice surprise. Thanks guys for the pics and thanks Dave for an awesome machine!! :banana:

myette10
02-11-2008, 07:27 AM
wow

Mike - FYI... This is what I want my new bike to look like. Gentle tt slope, sram red, arione, VR like bend in the bars, deep section wheels... it even has some of that sweet burgandy coloring.

shinomaster
02-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Mike - FYI... This is what I want my new bike to look like. Gentle tt slope, sram red, arione, VR like bend in the bars, deep section wheels... it even has some of that sweet burgandy coloring.

Mike said your bike is getting painted pink.

Johny
02-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Hit 'view as slideshow' and kick back. http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_a/sets/72157603886154452/

Thanks Andy for the pictures.

It seems you got a nice conversation with Dario. :beer:

WadePatton
02-12-2008, 11:52 AM
That's GOT to be special... real customer service.

A beautiful custom ride that comes with a trophy. :banana:

or maybe comes with a photo of Dave and the trophy. Congrats to you and Dave.

Ginger
02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I think I have a few pics of Dave and the frame at the awards...I'll post them after I get home today.

Sweet bike. It got votes from the Llewellyn booth.

cpg
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Congratulations Dave! In the past shows some of the "Best of" choices seemed well... anyway you deserved it. Not too many builders shaping fillets well.

Curt

FlaRider
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I think I have a few pics of Dave and the frame at the awards...I'll post them after I get home today.

Sweet bike. It got votes from the Llewellyn booth.

Thanks, Ginger. Pics of frame with Dave would be awesome!

David Kirk
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Congratulations Dave! In the past shows some of the "Best of" choices seemed well... anyway you deserved it. Not too many builders shaping fillets well.

Curt

Thank you sir.

There seem to be a few different types of bikes that are shown at the show. They all seem to fall into one of two camps............bikes that are designed and built to be sold and used and bikes whose sole purpose is to attract attention. I don't think one is better than the other but I am personally only comfortable making the first type. By far the vast majority of the awards went to special "show bikes" and while that is cool I'm proud that the fillet bike I presented was a real bike meant to be used hard and put away wet.

It's also interesting in a way to note that the fillet bike was the only award given to a frameset as opposed to a complete built up bike. Not sure what that means but it is what it is.

I look forward to seeing photos of the bike all built up and on the road being used. They are, atmo, designed to be used.

Dave

shinomaster
02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you sir.

There seem to be a few different types of bikes that are shown at the show. They all seem to fall into one of two camps............bikes that are designed and built to be sold and used and bikes whose sole purpose is to attract attention. I don't think one is better than the other but I am personally only comfortable making the first type. By far the vast majority of the awards went to special "show bikes" and while that is cool I'm proud that the fillet bike I presented was a real bike meant to be used hard and put away wet.

It's also interesting in a way to note that the fillet bike was the only award given to a frameset as opposed to a complete built up bike. Not sure what that means but it is what it is.

I look forward to seeing photos of the bike all built up and on the road being used. They are, atmo, designed to be used.

Dave

Dave which frame won the award? White/green, brown fade? It wasn't the JK Special?

David Kirk
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Dave which frame won the award? White/green, brown fade? It wasn't the JK Special?

Fla's white with green panels fillet frameset.

Dave

mjb266
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
The paint choice on that one was what sold the deal...the pearl white reflected so much light that if the radius were to be off by the slightest amount it would've suck out like a sore thumb. I went over the thing head to toe and every joint was perfect. Typically you'll find a flaw like an inconsistent radius or a lump...none of the above in the Kirk.

I'll post pictures later

Karin Kirk
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I’m still digesting the sensory and experiential overload from the show. What an experience! This was my first time at NAHBS and I’m really glad I went along. I am so proud of Dave for all the great work he does and I am pleased that I was able to help out a bit and meet many of you fine forum folks.

Some of the highlights for me were –

-The dizzyingly wide array of the sport and craft of cycling that were represented there. I guess I expected that much of the stuff would be along similar lines, but it was cool to see the breadth of the show. Townie bikes, fixies, randonee bikes, kids bikes, super stealthy carbon bikes, and on and on.

-The fabulous people! It was an honor to meet Richard Sachs and the lovely Deb and feel an instant kinship with them. Same goes for JB who is a lot of fun to hang with (just watch out for your French fries). In addition, I enjoyed meeting other builders like Darrell Llewellyn, Dario Pegoretti, Peter Weigle, Sacha White, Mike DeSalvo, and so on. Plus, it was super to see Kelly Bedford again.

-Seeing old forum pals like Ginger, Tom Byrnes and Jack Brunk again, and meeting scores of new forum friends! (I don’t dare name names because I’d hate to leave someone out.) But it was fun to match a face with an avatar and compare notes on all that was abuzz at the show.

-I don’t want to be self-promotive, but I was thrilled when FlaRider’s frame won an award. I am extremely proud of Dave and it makes me a happy wife to see his work well-received.

Thankfully the long drive home was easier than the trip out there. On the way to Portland, we experienced an impressive array of heinous driving conditions. The most notable was a steady stream of tumbleweeds being madly propelled by 40 mph cross winds. But the drive home was mostly clear, we got to see the Oscar Meyer wiener-mobile, and of course we had lots to talk about.

We’re already planning for Indianapolis! Looking forward to seeing many of you there.

(Here's a pic of the top of Lookout Pass on the ID/MT border. If you look real close you can see a sweet Reynolds wheel peeking out the window.)

14max
02-12-2008, 06:04 PM

shinomaster
02-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I’m still digesting the sensory and experiential overload from the show. What an experience! This was my first time at NAHBS and I’m really glad I went along. I am so proud of Dave for all the great work he does and I am pleased that I was able to help out a bit and meet many of you fine forum folks.

-The dizzyingly wide array of the sport and craft of cycling that were represented there. I guess I expected that much of the stuff would be along similar lines, but it was cool to see the breadth of the show. Townie bikes, fixies, randonee bikes, kids bikes, super stealthy carbon bikes, and on and on.

-The fabulous people! It was an honor to meet Richard Sachs and the lovely Deb and feel an instant kinship with them. Same goes for JB who is a lot of fun to hang with (just watch out for your French fries). In addition, I enjoyed meeting other builders like Darrell Llewellyn, Dario Pegoretti, Peter Weigle, Sacha White, Mike DeSalvo, and so on. Plus, it was super to see Kelly Bedford again.

-Seeing old forum pals like Ginger, Tom Byrnes and Jack Brunk again, and meeting scores of new forum friends! (I don’t dare name names because I’d hate to leave someone out.) But it was fun to match a face with an avatar and compare notes on all that was abuzz at the show.

-I don’t want to be self-promotive, but I was thrilled when FlaRider’s frame won an award. I am extremely proud of Dave and it makes me a happy wife to see his work well-received.

Thankfully the long drive home was easier than the trip out there. On the way to Portland, we experienced an impressive array of heinous driving conditions. The most notable was a steady stream of tumbleweeds being madly propelled by 40 mph cross winds. But the drive home was mostly clear, we got to see the Oscar Meyer wiener-mobile, and of course we had lots to talk about.

We’re already planning for Indianapolis! Looking forward to seeing many of you there.

(Here's a pic of the top of Lookout Pass on the ID/MT border. If you look real close you can see a sweet Reynolds wheel peeking out the window.)

I enjoyed meeting you and exchanging baking tips!

Ozz
02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I’m still digesting the sensory and experiential overload from the show. What an experience! ...

-The dizzyingly wide array of the sport and craft of cycling that were represented there. ....

-The fabulous people! ...

-Seeing old forum pals ...

...We’re already planning for Indianapolis! Looking forward to seeing many of you there....

So are you are saying the passion and the people make the event, and not the location? ;)

Sounds fun....I hope to make it someday....I thought this was my year until work interfered! :crap:

Congrats to Dave and all the rest!

dbrown
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Congratulations Dave on a beautiful bike and a well earned award! I will be looking forward to meeting you and seeing your bikes in person next year in Indianapolis!

Karin Kirk
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I enjoyed meeting you and exchanging baking tips!

I was just thinking the very same thing! I am making some pizza dough right now and I think I'll try your suggestion of baking it on an oiled pan instead of a stone.

J.Greene
02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I was just thinking the very same thing! I am making some pizza dough right now and I think I'll try your suggestion of baking it on an oiled pan instead of a stone.

what kind of oil?

JG

Karin Kirk
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
what kind of oil?

JG

olive

Is this an OK thing to do?

J.Greene
02-12-2008, 06:56 PM
olive

I hope so. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=481920&postcount=14)
JG

ok Grant, it starts now.

dave thompson
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
olive

EVOO is the only way to go!

shinomaster
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
what kind of oil?

JG

I use olive, but not too much! If you use too little it will stick however.. :confused:

whitecda
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Congrats to Dave and Karin too!! I'm glad I got in line right before the show!

I'm less than 2 hours away from Indy for next year. If I don't get to meet you both before then, I will be over there for sure....as a Terraplane owner by then. :D

Don H.

manet
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I use olive, but not too much! If you use too little it will stick however.. :confused:

on the grill. directly. no stone. bubble side A of dough. flip. dump goodies onto side B. cover and cook a few more minutes.

maunahaole
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Depends on how hot your oven is. Pizza cooking temp is close to olive oil smoke point. Maybe you want to try another oil with a higher smoke point or you may risk getting a burned flavor to your crust.

RudAwkning
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM

-Dinner Saturday was loads of fun. Getting to exchange stories of our youth with Mr. Kirk, comparing notes on life in New Jersey with Mrs. Kirk, getting words of encouragement about my riding from PeterB and splitting a pitcher of stout with him and Shino, chatting it up with Richard Sachs and David "Llewelyn" McCullough, talking bikes with the infamous Brunk on the walk back to the Red Lion.

-Kicking it the day before with Big Shanty and checking out his sweeeet Ira Ryan.

-Having dinner on Friday with John Slawta (Land Shark), Mike DeSalvo and Richard + Tucker Schwinn (Waterford) was a blast. I think I talked more about hi-fi audio than bikes with John that evening. He was the one who designed and built the speakers pumping out the tunes at the DeSalvo booth.

-Tipping back beers with my "homeboys" in the Broakland/El Camino booth.

-Getting a free 3 day exhibitor pass and working the booth that was showing my personal ride was a highlight too. How often do you get to represent your own bike?

-Partying like it was "1899" at Sacha White's workshop. I loved the olde-tyme rustic feel to his workshop area. You can smell the creativity oozing out of the walls there.

As was stated before, it wasn't so much the locale but the company and attitude that made the show what it was. You really got a sense of everyone's passion for the art and science.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat and will definitely be in Indy.

14max
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
-Having dinner on Friday with John Slawta (Land Shark)...

Fixed

RudAwkning
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Fixed

Thank you. Got my deep sea creatures mixed up :p

Lobsters and Sharks.......they're almost the same thing, no?

Mshue
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
on the grill. directly. no stone. bubble side A of dough. flip. dump goodies onto side B. cover and cook a few more minutes.

+1 Almost as good as a fancy Italian pizza oven.

Ginger
02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Alright...evidently my camera did not take all the pictures I pointed it at...I'm very disappointed because I was at the front of the crowd as Dave carried the frame to the stage and it was floating above the crowd in a disembodied sort of way...And I took one when Dave was on stage with the bike and the trophy...but the only one I find in my camera is this one...it's interesting because it shows how BRIGHT the frame is...even in the low light of the rest of the pic, the frame stands out.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p139/Gingerbike/Portland08/IMG_3200.jpg?t=1202876119

Len J
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Thank you sir.

Dave

Congrats Dave....I can personally attest to both the beauty of your fillet's & the ridability of your frames.

Beautiful bike.

len

DarrenCT
02-12-2008, 10:16 PM
congrats dave

ps: im beating the crap out of the kirk kat kirk on these roads. it wants more.

72gmc
02-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Kicking it the day before with Big Shanty and checking out his sweeeet Ira Ryan.

Isn't that a beauty, though? Not a color I would pick off a chip chart but it looks so right on that bike. If only the owner looked as presentable.

big shanty
02-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Isn't that a beauty, though? Not a color I would pick off a chip chart but it looks so right on that bike. If only the owner looked as presentable.

Have I shown you my new shiv? Let's get together soon.

davids
02-13-2008, 09:13 AM
There seem to be a few different types of bikes that are shown at the show. They all seem to fall into one of two camps............bikes that are designed and built to be sold and used and bikes whose sole purpose is to attract attention. I don't think one is better than the other but I am personally only comfortable making the first type.

DaveI had the same impression looking at some of the NAHBS '08 photo sets.

...and to paraphrase, I also don't think one type is better than the other but I am personally only interested in buying the first type.

I've admired Kirks' fillet brazed frames for years. The prize winner is a beautiful example - Congrats!

dekindy
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
There are over a hundred bikes pictured on his website.

mosca
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
The prize winner:

J.Greene
02-13-2008, 05:57 PM

OK,

Just made my quick version of a ZA. Take some flat bread, drop the parts on top. Usually place on stone. Cook. Tonight I placed the lightly oiled flat bread on the grill. It worked well. I'll do a pic next time.

JG