PDA

View Full Version : Paint my CAAD8?

Chris
02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I have a CAAD8 that I got in 2005. It's a great bike and seems to still have a lot of life left in it. I also have a System6 that is my race bike. I have a dilemma though. I don't know what the life span of an aluminum frame is. I have thought about sending the frame off to Spectrum (thanks RPM) to get it freshened up with a new look. I am guessing that a good paint job is going to run $400-500 when all is said and done. The dillemma is whether it is worth it to get that frame painted something different or spend another grand beyond that to get something new from Duratec, which would be really unique. The drawback to that, beyond the extra K, is that then the bikes wouldn't be identical in fit.

Thoughts?

dekindy
02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I will admit it. I don't understand the question. How would painting a frame change the size or fit? :confused:

Chris
02-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I meant, pay 500 to get this bike painted, or buy a different frame from another company. The result of doing that would mean that the two bikes I have would fit slightly different compared to continuing to have two identically sized Cannondales.

MarleyMon
02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
... worth it to get that frame painted ...

Thoughts?
no, I don't think so, just ride it. I've got a CAAD 5, I like it, I ride it, its a mess.
Better use of $$ would be a new CAAD 9 if you like that geo, or something different but new.
I'm just not that into appearances for something like that, and really,
nobody is looking at our C'Dales anyway. :)

capybaras
02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
follow your heart :)

thwart
02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
If you really, really like the frame, and it didn't have a ton of miles or abuse, I'd stick $400 into it. All the builders are at the Handbuilt Show, but it'd be interesting to see what they think about aluminum frame life...

But I'd certainly check eBay for frame prices first. ;)

dekindy
02-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I meant, pay 500 to get this bike painted, or buy a different frame from another company. The result of doing that would mean that the two bikes I have would fit slightly different compared to continuing to have two identically sized Cannondales.

Thanks for clarifying. I did not realize Duratec was a frame maker, is that correct? I could not find anything on them. A Google search only turned up a Duratec product that was a finishing product that might remotely relate to the painting question.

Could you provide a link to the frames you are considering.

davyt
02-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Duratec (http://www.duratec.cz/index.php?page=news&lang=cz&lang=en)

Chris
02-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Dave. Those are them. They seem really nice. A friend of mine, Adam Myerson, and the rest of the Nerac guys raced on them last year and he seemed to like his. They are unique and look nice. I am considering the Heroine model I think.

I would love to know what the expected life of the Cannondale is. If it can be expected to give me several more seasons of training and local rides, I like it enough that I wouldn't mind throwing some money at making it look new and a little different.

MarleyMon
02-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I would love to know what the expected life of the Cannondale is.
If you are the original owner, I think you have the Cannondale lifetime limited warranty on material and workmanship. I don't know if that continues after a 3rd party re-paint. OTOH a builder like Carl Strong warrantees his aluminum frames for 5 years I believe. Others may chime in on the life span of aluminum frames in general - maybe Steve Hampsten has some ideas?

mike p
02-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I see quite a few 15 year and older c-dales around. Just sayin'.

Mike

rwsaunders
02-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I see quite a few 15 year and older c-dales around. Just sayin'.

Mike

+1.