PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara - Suggestions Please

GONE4ARIDE
02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
It's a cold and snowy Saturday here in upstate NY and I am realizing that I need to plan a warm weather vacation asap. Riding ( and skate skiing) conditions have been difficult here of late and all I can think of at the moment is getting out of this crappy, frozen tundra for a nice one-week training camp in a warmer climate. I need sunshine, blue sky and a warm headwind in my face, please!

So, the criteria for our vacation/training camp is as follows: 1) warm and consistent weather for riding 2) good roads with varying train for packing on some early season miles 3) a place that my family will enjoy (= beach)

Given that I'll be passing through LAX on return from an overseas business trip just prior to the vacation week we've selected, the Santa Barbara area looks to be high on the list of venues for our getaway. We've never spent any time there before and so l am looking for recommendations on a nice place to stay, training routes, dining etc..

We'll want to be at or very close to the beach for the family, but also hopefully in a location that provides for a relatively easy route out of town for good, long, low-traffic rides.

Recommendations please.

Uniscasi is packed and ready to go!

Thanks

sellsworth
02-09-2008, 11:30 AM
No matter where you end up staying do the Figeroa Mountain climb:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mt-Figueroa-Climb

And watch Sideways before you go!!

Buzz
02-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I think Serotta Pete was just there.

So you know while there is a nice beach in Santa Barbara it isn't like Florida. In otherwords, the water is cold and you can't lay about tanning.

Santa Barbara is a neat place though and great riding just north of there in Solvang / Los Olivos area.

dookie
02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Gibralter Rd.

rinconryder
02-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Ride over to Ojai....great ride, good climbs, spectacular view.

toaster
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Ah, Santa Barbara is my own backyard. Look up the Tour of California Santa Barbara to Santa Clarita stage. You don't have to do that route but you have several options off the route such as Ojai and Hwy 33 to Rose Valley, Ojai to Santa Paula and back through Ventura, Santa Paula towards Camarillo and Pacific Coast Highway and Malibu, Santa Paula to Fillmore, Moorpark and Somis.

Santa Barbara is good but is actually better north towards Solvang, Buellton, Figeroa Mountain and more.

Two important areas to see would be PCH and the hills above Malibu. It doesn't get any better!!!

stackie
02-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Just stayed there last week for a three day getaway.

Didn't bring bike as was really just a kiddie vacation.

Stayed at Harborview on State Street and Cabrillo highway. Drove into town and parked. Didn't drive again until we left.

Hotel is excellent. Top notch room. Wife loved it. Great kiddie pool (important if you have young ones).

Walk to everything from hotel.

EAT at La Super-Rica on Milpas. The late Julia Child once stated that she would walk barefoot from LA for it. Seriously. It's totally awesome mexican dive food. I recommend to do what the drunk surfers in front of me recommended my first time. Order expensive, you'll be fine.

I've never ridden in SB, so follow the others leads on that. Next year, when we return to SB, the bike is coming along.

Jon

rinconryder
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
EAT at La Super-Rica on Milpas. The late Julia Child once stated that she would walk barefoot from LA for it. Seriously. It's totally awesome mexican dive food. I recommend to do what the drunk surfers in front of me recommended my first time. Order expensive, you'll be fine.

Jon

+1,000,000!!!! Super Rica is the BEST mexican food I have ever had. The long lines out the door at any time of the day are evidence of that. Also, get yourself a great breakfast at the bathhouse on East Beach. The pigeons, aka flying rats, can be annoying but their wheat germ pancakes are a great pre ride meal! For a nice dinner check out Montecito Cafe for some great food and just plain good local eating or Trattoria Victoria on VIctoria Street right off of State Street.