PDA

View Full Version : Squeak in seat post

jackimig
08-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I just took possession of a new LegendTi ST 2 weeks ago. It replaces a 6 year old entry level Litespeed bought via a dealer in Boulder which was a flexy comfortable bike that didn't fit me particularly well.
I love my new Serotta's looks and performance and it fits like a glove. Unfortunately there's a persistent squeak where the Thomsen carbon seatpost fits into the seat tube. It's temporarily quiet after adjusting the tube and re-lubing it, but with torque as in a climb it squeaks loudly with each pedal stroke when sitting but not out of the saddle. My shop is working on it and only temporarily fixes it then the squeak returns louder than ever.
The saddle is a Fizik and changing out the post and seat didn't resolve the problem.
Any similar experiencer out there? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks

CJH
08-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Sure it's seatpost squeaking?! Know it may sound dumb and anoying having to hear this but noises on a bike can and do originate from many strange places! Check seatpost saddle interface (lube), named interface bolt+washer (lube!), seatbinder bolt (lube), then search in other locations: cleat pedal interface (drylube), standing and pedaling can eliminate the pedal squeak only to reappear when strangely enough less torque is applied! Bottom Bracket, crank bolts etc. Any metal to metal contact is suspect!!! By now you see what I'm getting at... GOOD LUCK!

Sandy
08-19-2004, 09:25 PM
I suggest that you lubricate the rails etc. of the saddle. My guess is that it is not the seatpost at all. When you get up off the saddle the noise is no longer there, perhaps because you are not on the saddle. Try spraying WD-40 over the rails etc. I bet (I think) (maybe) (hopefully) that will solve the problem.

Serotta Saddle Sandy

caffeine power
08-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Try spraying WD-40

Don't be stupid. Doing that won't resolve the problem, it will just coat everything with lube & attract dirt where you don't want it. As said before, check every bolt for proper torque. Threads, and just the treads should be lightly greased. A thin film of grease in the seat tube is fine. When disassembling things, take the time to clean them before reassembly. Also, does the seat pillar insert into a nylon sleeve (like on my Seven) or is it directly installed in Titianium? If it's Nylon it may be the issue but I've not seen/heard one personally. Also, if I read your post right you've used a different seat/post combination? It might be the rails in the seat...as in where they interface with the seat itself at the nose or the rear of the seat. But the likelihood of two saddles having that problem...well, it could happen.

Otherwise, I'm glad it's your bike and not mine.

LowCel
08-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Don't be stupid. Doing that won't resolve the problem, it will just coat everything with lube & attract dirt where you don't want it.

Is there any need to be that rude?

I have a fizik aliante saddle on an easton carbon post. I was having problems with a squeak with mine as well. I ended up just using a spray lube on the seat rails. I didn't even loosen the seat up. I guess I may be "stupid" but in this case stupid worked!

BTW, when did thomson start making a carbon post?

PsyDoc
08-20-2004, 09:37 AM
...I sprayed Pledge on the rails, wiped off the excess, and the end result was "silence."

Sandy
08-20-2004, 09:43 AM
A little less caffeine, please. A little more courtesy, please.

I had a squeak somewhat similar. I am not sophisticated in mechanical work, but I did spray the saddle rails, and the squeak went away forever.

So Stupid So Silent Saddle So Satisfied,

:) Sanka Squeakless Saddle Serotta Sandy :)

Sandy
08-20-2004, 09:51 AM
What do you suggest using? Sulfuric acid? Hacksaw? C4 explosives? Talk sweetly to the saddle and/or seatpost? Buy a new bike? Ride without a saddle? A recumbent? A surrey? :)

:) I suggest Sanka. :)

Sporting Sweet Sanka Smiles Stupid Serotta Sandy

M_A_Martin
08-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Ah, the dreaded squeak.

I've had one after about 50 miles on my new Kirk. I couldn't locate it. Then at the beginning of a century, I remembered Sandy's thread about his saddle rails. Pulled out my multitool, tightened the seat rail clamp, and the ultra-annoying squeak went away!

If the squeak comes back, I'll spray *something* on the rails. Its not like dirt on the saddle rails is really going to cause me as much consternation as say...dirt around the headset or any of the other bearings on my bike.

Yay Sandy! (and eveyone else on the board who help figure out squeaks and whatnot on bikes) You helped me have a peaceful century!

Ginger

shaq-d
08-20-2004, 10:18 AM
the park tools website has a nice troubleshooting list for squeaks and creaks, always works. and wd-40, depending on who u talk to, isn't a lube anyway ;)

sd

LowCel
08-20-2004, 10:44 AM
the park tools website has a nice troubleshooting list for squeaks and creaks, always works. and wd-40, depending on who u talk to, isn't a lube anyway ;)

sd

Thanks shaq. However if someone ever wants a true challenge find the squeak on a full suspension mountain bike. Now that is a challenge. :crap:

caffeine power
08-20-2004, 12:58 PM
"WD" stands for "water displacing"

or for some people "whata dummy"

Look, if you want to spray something that attracts dirt to locations that don't need dirt, or for that matter don't need lubrication feel free to dip your whatever in a vat of grease.

The problem has a cause. Find the cause. Resolve the cause. Spraying styling mouse, Pam, Aqua Net or anything else just ads things that have no business being on a bike...and maybe you have no business on a bike either.

Sandy
08-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I was told by someone to use WD-40 and it worked. I have never used it elsewhere.

You are being quite rude with your comments, but that is your choice.

LowCel
08-20-2004, 01:08 PM
WOW, so now people here are "stupid" and don't belong on bikes. Caffeine, not sure what your problem is but seems like some displaced anger showing up.

jackimig
08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks to all ( or almost all ) for the ideas. I'll try some and post a follow-up note. The rails are unlikely to be the source since the noise persists with 3 different posts and saddles.

M_A_Martin
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
One last "stupid" idea: Have you checked all the contact points on the seatpost clamp and where the seatpost is slit to see if those areas are rubbing or touching? A buddy of mine had an issue there and used teflon tape to quiet the noise.

Good Luck with your squeaky bike!

From my practical experience side of life:
Items such as WD-40; as long as they don't cause deterioration of the materials they're applied to, and are not considered a permenant fix; are very good diagnostic tools for finding squeaks. (squeak, squeak, spray, no squeak! Ah HA!) ALL diagnostics should be followed by a more permenant fix for the problem once the problem is located.

Some of us clean our bikes on a regular basis as part of the regular maintenance requirements of our equipment, and any offending-dirt-accumulating-spray would be properly washed off the surface in question and not allowed to accumulate dirt.

On the contrary opinions:
Hairspray (say...aquanet, although any spray shellac will work) is a tried and true method of keeping mountain bike grips from slipping...Pull the offending grip off, spray the handlebar, then slip the grip back on, allow to dry. If that doesn't work, wire the grips on, or go to bolt-on grips.

va rider
08-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I've been there myself with a squeaky new Serotta.

I ultimately threw my bike on a trainer and with a friend located my squeak, which was in the handlebar clamp. Used Phil Wood grease on all contact points and the allen bolts and that took care of the problem. I really needed my friend to help locate the squeak, I thought it was from the headset.

By process of elimination, I doubt 3 different posts and seats are squeaky. I agree with the other posts to look at the binder bolt.

Lastly, I am pretty sure Thomson does not make a carbon post. I have a Thomson elite and it is alu.

good luck, you will get it licked.

dirtdigger88
08-20-2004, 10:49 PM
just picked up my legend tonight. it was in the shop for a mystery popping that I though was the bb. turns out it was the front derailure. the shop said it is because of the taper of the seat tube. i don't know, it sounds good. . .I will let you know tommorow after a ride

Jason

jackimig
08-22-2004, 06:01 PM
A follow-up on my squeaky post. The shop called Serotta and was given advice on some "special lube" and they applied it. This weekend I put 2 long rides on the bike and it's totally quiet! When I find out from the shop what this magic lube was I'll post back to give feedback to all interested.

csb
08-22-2004, 08:33 PM
... perhaps dave kirk put a marble or two down inside
the seat tube?

dave thompson
08-22-2004, 08:39 PM
... perhaps dave kirk put a marble or two down inside
the seat tube?
That's standard, no charge equipment on all his bikes! That way his customers stay in touch. :D

M_A_Martin
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
THAT'S what that dang ticking IS!

Naw, it really was the seat clamp..