PDA

View Full Version : OT: To Golf or Not to Golf

ti_boi
02-09-2008, 02:00 AM
Whew.....let's change gears here for a second.....wondering how many of you like the 'good walk spoiled'? It always....always....puts a smile on my face to walk out on to a golf course. I am prone to some back issues though...but I am optimistic in thinking that with the proper weight loss...and the right swing...I can still play the game. Your thoughts? About the game....the feeling of walking a gorgeous course.....or playing golf with a healthy back.....?

keno
02-09-2008, 06:27 AM
that I can pretty much identify, not that I'll be playing any of them any time soon, those holes tells you what I think.

keno, scratch drinker

14max
02-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Ray
02-09-2008, 07:01 AM
I played a lot as a kid on dead flat Arizona courses with no vegetation, where you basically had your pick of three fairways with any tee shot. Hooks and slices were not penalized - you always had a clear shot to the green. I still sucked, only occasionally breaking 90, but I enjoyed it. But then I got older and took a couple of actual golfing trips to play REAL courses. Like the ones in the pictures above. I played Pebble Beach and stopped counting after a while, but I know I shot north of 120. I didn't break 10 on a few holes. It was embarrassing. I did similar things a few more times and came to realize that the quality of the walk was inversely related to my ability to play golf along the way.

So I took up walking and I'm a much happier camper today.

-Ray

don'TreadOnMe
02-09-2008, 07:16 AM
If I can play barefoot in the late afternoon, on an empty course, w/no greens fees, I'm there.
I played A LOT as a kid, went to college on golf scholarship, and don't even think of playing anymore...

larry

Chris
02-09-2008, 07:41 AM
No offense to those who love what they love, but I can't get too close the clubhouse mid round without wanting to walk off the course and head home. I enjoy the challenge of golf, but afterwards I always felt like that was 4 hours I can't have back and I just missed an opportunity to ride. Just isn't my bag.

jamesau
02-09-2008, 07:42 AM
I picked up golf about 3 years ago and really enjoy it.

I always approach the start of a round with excitement and anticipation, but sometimes finish feeling frustrated and thinking I should have stayed home.

I may feel indifferent before the start of a ride, but always return with a deep and lasting feeling of satisfaction.

97CSI
02-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Whenever I see a golf course these days I only think about the racism/sexism that exists at the majority of private clubs and the huge amount of pesticides and fertilizers that runoff these golf courses into our water systems. I sail the Cheasepeake and it is dying due to the runoff. About the only thing 'good' about a golf course is the preservation of open space in many over-developed areas. But, is generally not open space that is open to all. Sorry to be so 'down' on golf, but more than the walk is being spoiled.

catulle
02-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh, no...!! Golf...!!! I thought this was a family forum here. Golf courses would be great for cross bikes or for wingshooting. When I was a teenager my dad and my brother would come home from playing golf and see me unloading guns and bloody coolers with dead deer or javelina or ducks or fish or some other animal species. They'd look at me and ask: Do you really like doing that? My response: Do you really like doing that? No, I never liked golf.

bigbill
02-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I leave the house at 5 am and return at 5 pm five days a week. If I am going to gone from my family for four hours on the weekend, my bike computer is going to have 70+ miles. Another factor is the justification of a second expensive hobby.

swoop
02-09-2008, 09:09 AM
do they let you use cross bikes?

chrisroph
02-09-2008, 09:19 AM
i'll get out the clubs these days to:

play bandon dunes, golf heaven; or

see friends that i can't see any other way.

its a cool game but there are not enough hours in the year

Chad Engle
02-09-2008, 10:17 AM
its a cool game but there are not enough hours in the year

POTD. If it is that nice, I could fish, ride, work dog, etc.

We belong to a par 3 course where you can play 9 holes in 1 hour. Great time with the kids, solid uninterrupted time to talk and be together. :)

Viper
02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
It'll be 45* today. I'll be at the driving range for 100 or so swings.

Erik.Lazdins
02-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I started playing golf in 7th grade, started caddying at Bellerive - continued playing through about 2000.

With a daughter on the way - I no longer had the chance to hit balls every day and ride...

so I ride now - but have always loved the game, the smells of a course when its 45 degrees misty and windy, the outdoors, the feel of striping a 2 iron.

I just like riding more! :beer:

Buzz
02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
For me there are not too many other athletic / game pursuits that top a great round of golf. Maybe powder skiing.

Plus, my wife is a great golfer. Its always a kick to watch someone so petite hit it so far.

Ti Designs
02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Sidi is bringing cycling ever closer to golf in the ugly shoe department.

C5 Snowboarder
02-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I play about 3 times a week.. summer maybe 4-5. Wonderful challenging game that can be played with anyone of any level. It is a good day when I can go snowboarding in the morning and get in 18 holes before the end of the day. Or in the summer play 18 and then hop on the Legend for a afternoon delight ride. I play to a handicap of 8.4. :beer:

mike p
02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Wait till your old, fat and can no longer bike, then take up golf. Not a sport a skill.

Mike

Ozz
02-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Fun game...but as stated previously...there are not enough hours in the day. When I have a couple hours free to myself, I would rather go for a ride than golf.

Before being married with kids, I would golf almost everyday...I lived across the street from a par-3 course....those days are long gone. Now, I play once a year at our corporate tournament, and maybe once or twice with some friends.

handsomerob
02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I used to play a little golf. It is just too frustrating to do half-hearted. IMHO, unless you can devote the time and money to get decent, it is just an exercise in futility. Made even worse if you play with those that can play well.

If you aren't as fast as the "A" group in cycling, you just go a little slower. That isn't near as frustrating as trying to do a little punch and run up to the green and skulling it into the lake 50 yards behind the green. Better yet, stepping up to that hole knowing you don't have a snowballs chance in hell... you know the hole... it is that stupid tight one that some A$$hole put there to make you donate a sleeve of balls on.

You know what I do with 4 hours of good golf weather now? I ride my bike :D .

Frankwurst
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
play the game but walked off the course over 20 years ago, put my clubs in the back of my buddies suburban and said "I'm done" Told him if I want to get pi$$ed off 4 hours outta my day I'll go to work and make some money. :beer:

barry1021
02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I play socially with friends or for business; I am fortunate that I get to play nice courses and often my greens fees are paid for. I just got back from a week in Scottsdale with such a case-two rounds that were picked up by others. Had four friends staying with me go to the Super Bowl and the Manning party after. Having said that, my best memories of the week were the rides with my new friend Zmudshark (john). The Bartlett Lake ride was more fun than the rest of the week together. Some golfers can not play for a month or two then step up and play. Not I. Golf is a struggle, and I don't enjoy it anymore. Cycling is fun and I am still getting better. No brainer for me.

b21

bumperjohn
02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
For me there are not too many other athletic / game pursuits that top a great round of golf. Maybe powder skiing.

+ 1

I am heading to Utah on Wednesday for a week of the deep goodness.

PacNW2Ford
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
The NAHBS and the Portland Golf Show were in different halls at the Portland Convention Center today. I didn't observe any fights in the hallways. I enjoy both activities, although I did not attend the golf show.

What is funny is that the two groups have some remarkable similarities, both have spirited arguments over perceived material superiority, weird irrational "rules" as to who "deserves" to have what equipment, controversies on the value of "stock" versus custom, and the same angst over rising prices while simultaneously fawning over the latest and greatest. Sometimes both groups forget that the basic goodness comes from doing, not buying.

In general, what golf doesn't have is the beauty of hand craftmanship in a usable form like the bikes on display at NAHBS.

Similarly, what cycling doesn't have is places that are dedicated to the sport where you can be totally focused on your game.

YO!!!
02-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Those of you commenting that golf is not a sport are correct.

Golf is and always has been a game.

The game of golf is mostly a mental challenge requiring moderate physical
strength and good hand/eye co-ordination.

The game has morphed over the past 30 years to include requisite golf carts,
alcohol being offered on course, & 5+ hour rounds. Items one and two are profit driven, not that there is anything wrong with that. Item three is a plague; most often caused by paralysis by over-analysis.

Head out to a daily fee course or muni and watch some kids playing the game...they get it.

C5 Snowboarder
02-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Golf is similar to riding a bike. If your bike does not fit you properly you probably will not enjoy the ride and mostly likely your bike will sit in a corner and gather dust - same as golf, your equipment must fit you properly. If you are not athletic minded or in shape you will not enjoy the ride or the round of golf. If you go out for a club ride without knowing the subtle rules and guidlines you and your riding partners will not enjoy the day, golf is the same way - your foursome in front of you and behind you and the three players with you, will have an enjoyable day if you have a respect and understanding how the game is played. So if you are struggling with any activity - golf, riding, snowboarding, skiing, whatever - lessons from a pro or knowledgeable experienced friend is a must.

You would wouldn't go on a club ride without instruction or an understanding of what is expected of you - do the same on a golf course. Hitting the ball is only 1% of the game, the other 99% is how you play the game. Same as riding a bike, pushing the pedal down is 1% of the ride - what you do with the other 99% determines if you and your riding partners are having a good day. :beer:

ti_boi
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
These are some amazing comments....very thought provoking.

I find that the type of swing and focus that are required for golf and the gentle rigor of walking a course...(I pull and do not carry anymore)....it really makes the game into a sport in the sense that it does strain the muscles in ways that something like chess does not.

KeithS
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a friend who says the differentiation between a sport and an activity is the ability to drink beer while engaging in it. Hence Golf = Sport, as is bowling, and fishing (his passions). He argues that if you tried to drink beer while playing football you would spill it.

Used to play a lot, played 3 rounds last summer, rode over 2000 miles. With small kids, I don't seem to have 6 hour chunks of time to spend away from home. I still enjoy it, I just am not as competitive as I used to be. You have to practice and play a lot to get good and stay good.

C5 Snowboarder
02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Watching the tourny at Pebble right now... .

Way to go Steve Lowery! :beer: :beer: :banana: :banana:

ti_boi
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Way to go Steve Lowery! :beer: :beer: :banana: :banana:

Amazing....and on a picture perfect day no less.

HD TV was sublime this afternoon.

Fixed
02-10-2008, 06:31 PM
my son and uncle just came back after 5 hours at the course
72 year old shot a 77 (old pro )
15 year old shot 86 ( high school team)
they are best friends
cheers
i rode my fix

C5 Snowboarder
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
my son and uncle just came back after 5 hours at the course
72 year old shot a 77 (old pro )
15 year old shot 86 ( high school team)
they are best friends
cheers
i rode my fix

Way to go Uncle --
reminds me when I was working and looking for engineers, the few that played golf I'd offer to take them out and play 18 before I offered them a position. Why ??? Cuz in a round of 18 holes I can tell you more about a person's personality than one could in 6-12 months. :)

jeffg
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I learned as a student on the Stanford course, which was cheap and awesome, for the sole purpose of playing with my grandfather, who, at 92, played the back nine with me the weekend of my graduation. It was so memorable to play with him, still clearing 200 yard hazards and hiking down revines to get his ball (occassionally taking a helping hand).

I have not played since.

Golf isn't a good walk spoiled, it's a ride missed ...

fiamme red
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
More Americans Are Giving Up Golf:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21golf.html?ei=5087&em=&en=9c9070c4064e72a7&ex=1203829200&pagewanted=all

maunahaole
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
No - I can still do other things.

BURCH
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
"I used to play a little golf. It is just too frustrating to do half-hearted. IMHO, unless you can devote the time and money to get decent, it is just an exercise in futility. Made even worse if you play with those that can play well."

This should be mounted to the wall of every golf store. All newbies to the sport should read it before spending a single dollar.

While I find the sport frustrating, I do enjoy walking out on a course at first light with the dew still on the fairways. It can be a very peaceful place until you hit the ball.

C5 Snowboarder
02-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Match Play Championships...
Go Stewart Cink - great tourny :banana: :banana:

smudgecycles
02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
This should be mounted to the wall of every golf store. All newbies to the sport should read it before spending a single dollar.

I agree with that sentiment. On one hand the consumerism and elitism that seems to go hand in hand with the game is sickening. On the other, it's a pretty fantastic game at times and when you get it right, it's a good feeling.

I started "taking it seriously" when I was a junior in HS, became 1st player on my HS team as a senior and then played every day, sometimes three rounds the summer after my graduation. Worked my arse off and got to a two handicap (after holding a 26 the year prior) that summer. Then I discovered mountain biking and pretty much quit playing golf. I still have the clubs I bought in high school and play a round once or twice every year or so. My little brother is a teaching pro and holds about a +2; we have a pretty competitive thing going. He kills me on the scoring, but I can still knock every drive well past 300 yards so all I ever try to do is out drive him.

Back in 2001, we were invited to play in a benefit tournament at Rancho Bernardo in San Diego. I hadn't touched clubs for about five years before flying out there and played a warm up round the day before, shot a 77. But the most magnificent thing was that I had power like I had never seen before. Every drive was getting out to around 340, I was hitting my 9 irons from 170 and overshooting greens. I was so stuck on my old yardages that I was scrambling to save par on every hole. We agreed that Ryan would pick my clubs for me and I would hit was he picked, no questions asked. We won the tourney. I gave him so much doo doo for outdriving him until the last hole...I knocked a ball out in the fairway about 350 yards and did my obnoxious dance. He murdered his ball, 380 yards dead center of the fairway and hole out his second shot for a double eagle. He won't let me forget it.

SoCalSteve
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
The NAHBS and the Portland Golf Show were in different halls at the Portland Convention Center today. I didn't observe any fights in the hallways. I enjoy both activities, although I did not attend the golf show.

What is funny is that the two groups have some remarkable similarities, both have spirited arguments over perceived material superiority, weird irrational "rules" as to who "deserves" to have what equipment, controversies on the value of "stock" versus custom, and the same angst over rising prices while simultaneously fawning over the latest and greatest. Sometimes both groups forget that the basic goodness comes from doing, not buying.

In general, what golf doesn't have is the beauty of hand craftmanship in a usable form like the bikes on display at NAHBS.

Similarly, what cycling doesn't have is places that are dedicated to the sport where you can be totally focused on your game.

Velodromes and bike paths... :banana:

Just sayin'

Steve

YO!!!
02-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Ever seen a persimmon driver from the old days or a Bettinardi putter or a Vokey hand ground wedge made to spec?

keno
02-24-2008, 06:56 AM
is, hands down, the finest piece of sports equipment in the world. It was a true pleasure to watch the Accenture matches over the past few days. It is only by playing the game that I can appreciate what a magician he is. Kind of like appreciating what (name your favorite pro cyclist) can do.

keno

14max
02-24-2008, 07:15 AM

PacNW2Ford
02-24-2008, 10:34 AM

Ever seen a persimmon driver from the old days or a Bettinardi putter or a Vokey hand ground wedge made to spec?

Nice stuff, but is there a site where people post pictures of their Bettinardis, Edels, Machines and Scotty Camerons, and people fawn over them? If there is, I doubt that they are actually using the putters they're showing.

I have a Bettinardi, but like one of 21 velodromes in a country of 16,000 golf courses, I'm hardly relevant.

C5 Snowboarder
02-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Depends on what you define as beauty since it is in the beholder hands. But here are few I have and play-- as the manufacturer states "our clubs involves more than 100 hand operations by our skilled craftsmen"

I love the sound of my persimmons driver when hit between the screws.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

YO!!!
02-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Nice stuff, but is there a site where people post pictures of their Bettinardis, Edels, Machines and Scotty Camerons, and people fawn over them? If there is, I doubt that they are actually using the putters they're showing.

I have a Bettinardi, but like one of 21 velodromes in a country of 16,000 golf courses, I'm hardly relevant.

Here is one such site...there are others.
http://www.bombsquadgolf.com/

Cyclists aren't the only obsessive folks in the world.

My original BB1 is relevant...well at least to me it is... as are my custom ground Vokey wedges. The feel of the ball coming off my '54 MacGregor 693 never gets old. Kinda like riding a vintage Sachs frame. :cool:

ti_boi
02-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Here is one such site...there are others.
http://www.bombsquadgolf.com/

Cyclists aren't the only obsessive folks in the world.

My original BB1 is relevant...well at least to me it is... as are my custom ground Vokey wedges. The feel of the ball coming off my '54 MacGregor 693 never gets old. Kinda like riding a vintage Sachs frame. :cool:

I feel much love for my BeCu Copper Pings....hand crafted in the USA....like some bicycles that I can name.