PDA

View Full Version : To hell with politics,

catulle
02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
old dogs don't learn new tricks anyways. Soooo, please allow me to start a survey of sorts. How old are your riding shoes? I have three pairs of shoes but I've only used one for the past seven years. They are SIDI Genius or something silly like that. At the present rate, I'll very likely still have them and use them seven years from now. The other two pairs are just sitting there waiting for their opportunity to hit the pedals and gathering dust. How about you? I mean, how old are your riding shoes. Or how long do they usually last you. Or something. Thank you.

regularguy412
02-08-2008, 07:48 PM
My first pair lasted about 5 years. My second pair lasted about 6 years. I now have two pairs that share time, because I now have two pedal systems. One pair is for the Ti Pro Fits and the other pair is for the older Look style. One pair is about a year and a half old, and look brand new. The other pair is less than a year old and look brand new, as well.

I wish my second pair had not worn out. I tried to re-glue the upper to the carbon sole around the heels where they pulled loose. They are/ were the most comfy shoes I've owned. The insides were beginning to fall apart too, tho.

Mike in AR

Johny
02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Three pairs of my Sidi's are pretty old: two road (Genius 3 and energy 1st generation) and one mountain (Dominator). Genius 3's are likely 9 years old with the other two pairs over 6 years old.

rounder
02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I got two pair. Time Criteriums that I got in 1989 (went with Time when Greg won by 8 seconds)...use them with my old bike with Time classique pedals. Also have Carnac Legends that I got around 10 years ago. Use them for my speeedplays. The sole was pealing off so they are now at a cobbler getting reglued. Both are really beat up but comfortable. Hope to not have to buy new shoes...depending on how they turn out.

Viper
02-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I have some four year old Sidi Genius 4. A good shoe, it's been trusty. Before that I rode oldschool, no clip-in's, leather straps.

I just bought some Nike Lance II on clearance, they're light and comfy. I'm not too sure about them yet, but they are sexy and that means so much atmo.

Blue Jays
02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
ancient pair of Detto shoes with slotted cleat
pair of Diadora shoes about fifteen years old
modern Sidi Ergo 2 Carbon
modern Sidi Hydro GTX
modern Diadora mountainbike shoes

Blue Jays
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Had a pair of cool old Vittoria shoes, but now I can't find 'em. Maybe in the storage unit?

norman neville
02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
old dogs don't learn new tricks anyways. Soooo, please allow me to start a survey of sorts. How old are your riding shoes? I have three pairs of shoes but I've only used one for the past seven years. They are SIDI Genius or something silly like that. At the present rate, I'll very likely still have them and use them seven years from now. The other two pairs are just sitting there waiting for their opportunity to hit the pedals and gathering dust. How about you? I mean, how old are your riding shoes. Or how long do they usually last you. Or something. Thank you.

awesome italian-made diadoras. laces and velcro. drilled for clipless pedals. nice fit. last forever. i, too, have a few pairs i haven't needed to use bought many years ago.

Grant McLean
02-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I had a few pairs of those white/red Times too.

Then I rode the LeMond Carnac's for about 10 years,
they were basically the same shoe as the Time,
with the exact same sole.

I started to panic when the LeMond shoes got looking pretty
rough around the edges... but a pair of custom fit footbeds
in the M5's and I'm happier than ever.

-g
(insert joke about small feet..............here: )

Fixed
02-08-2008, 08:42 PM
nice shoes check this baby out
http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCB&Product_Code=C-SP54-000123&Category_Code=GRG

MarleyMon
02-08-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCB&Product_Code=C-SP54-000123&Category_Code=GRG
Yeah - that would fit me!

rounder
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Cool bike. I can understand custom but serotta makes some good stuff.

bigbill
02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
It depended on where I was living at the time. When I was stationed in Charleston, SC I would wring out my socks after rides in the summer. It seemed like my shoes never dried out. I rotted out a pair of Sidis a year. In the PNW, I used a pair of Carnac Legends (LeMond) for almost four years. I now have a pair of Specialized Carbon Pros that I have been using for around four years. For my daily 26 mile round trip commute in Hawaii, I wore Lake SPD sandals. They lasted around two years before my wife and co-workers told me to replace them. At some point it seemed like Sidis stopped fitting me. My foot got too wide for standard sizing and the megas were just a smidge too wide. Carnacs and Specialized are all that seem to fit me anymore.

bironi
02-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I've been on Carnac's for years, but I was really p$ssed when they changed the tow box from wide to narrow without due notice. They did however advertise when they returned to the wide box recently, but before they did, I purchased two pair of the narrower box shoes. Sometimes I can hold a grudge. :beer:

Ray
02-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Before I went to SPDs exclusively last year, I had two pair of road shoes. A set of Sidi low-enders (the kind with three velcro straps and no buckles) and a pair of Northwave winter shoes from several years ago. Both were about five years old, the Sidis probably longer. I'd broken the soles of a pair of Sidis before that - they'd gone about five years too.

Now I'm all SPD all the time and I have a set of el-cheapo Performance shoes that are at LEAST five years old and are still remarkably comfortable. And a set of super duper expensive Shimano mold-to-foot shoes that are only about a year old. They're the main summer shoe going forward, but I can't say I like them any more than the various Sidis I've had. I also just bought a set of Sidi winter SPD shoes on closeout for $125 and I'll wear those down to a little above freezing, which is about as cold as I ever ride in anymore.

-Ray

keno
02-09-2008, 06:38 AM
now there's politics we agee on.

keno

catulle
02-09-2008, 08:55 AM
See, Ken, it's all about going OOMMMMMMM... It's even good for your sinus; and keeps you young too. :beer:

Oh, thank you all for your kind responses. Now I don't feel so bad. I know now that I'm not weird or anything for holding on to such old shoes. Yes, I know, no need to say it, I know I'm weird in other respects. Jeeezzzz...

dbrk
02-09-2008, 09:29 AM
When Adidas made those Eddy-looking modern shoes a coupla' years ago, the Classic Pros or something, I bought three pairs because I don't like shoes that I wouldn't wear off a bike. These look old school but require cleats. I bought a life time supply since I expect ten years from each and I'll be lucky to live half as long. Half of my other bikes still have clipsn'straps, which I find perfectly easy and just as effective as clipless, and my favorite shoes are from Reynolds of England. Look here: http://reynoldsshoes.co.uk/

dbrk

p.s. never again will I comment on a political topic here or elsewhere...

cak
02-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Douglas,
How did you find the fit on the Adidas? I erally do like the looks of those shoes. I used to use Adidas years about 15 years ago and loved the fit. If i remember correctly, they were sized a bit large though. Like maybe a 1/2 to full size bigger than standard causing me to get a smaller size than most other shoes. Great fit though. What is your experiance with regards to the current sizing?
Thanks,
Andrew

dbrk
02-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Douglas,
How did you find the fit on the Adidas?...snip.. What is your experiance with regards to the current sizing? Andrew

First a little TMI, I have painful feet from wandering about the Himalayas in ChuckTaylor low tops when I might have had more sensible hiking boots. So I'm really sensitive to shoes. Sidis don't work for me at all, too narrow even the wide ones. The Adidas are a bit large for size, less than half a size but not true and not too big. Atmoymmvimhoetc.

dbrk

catulle
02-09-2008, 11:07 AM
When Adidas made those Eddy-looking modern shoes a coupla' years ago, the Classic Pros or something, I bought three pairs because I don't like shoes that I wouldn't wear off a bike. These look old school but require cleats. I bought a life time supply since I expect ten years from each and I'll be lucky to live half as long. Half of my other bikes still have clipsn'straps, which I find perfectly easy and just as effective as clipless, and my favorite shoes are from Reynolds of England. Look here: http://reynoldsshoes.co.uk/

dbrk

p.s. never again will I comment on a political topic here or elsewhere...

You're wise beyond your years. Let me know when you move so I'll follow. You can have the house at the top of the hill so I can climb in the mornings to chat, chant, read, and listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

Tom
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Carnacs for about four or five years until the bottoms came off and now Sidis for a couple years. I should get a second pair so the first can dry out after a rain but they dry out OK on the ride.

keno
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I think it's about not getting OM delivery.

keno

Tobias
02-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I mean, how old are your riding shoes. Or how long do they usually last you. Or something. Thank you.Oldest are 10 years old and in bad shape.
Still use them because they are the most comfortable.
Plus I like the recessed SPD cleat for casual rides.
Others are better but not always as practical.

manet
02-09-2008, 03:58 PM
9 yr old sidi
6 yr old sidi

the 6 i got thinking the crash proven 9 would give out soon, but the double 'leather' on the front outside edge has proven it's worth. it's blown out from race crashes (not my fault i swear) and the inner leather is all that's left but it's fine. covered by booties most of the time anyways.

davids
02-09-2008, 04:24 PM
For the road, one year old Sidi Genius Megas, that I bought when the jerk set me up with the Aline (https://www.aline.com/) insoles. And three month old Specialized Sports for the mountain bike, also with Alines.

But I plan on keeping these a long time - My prior mountain shoes went over six years. I replaced both of these pairs to accommodate the Alines. I love my Alines!

catulle
02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
For the road, one year old Sidi Genius Megas, that I bought when the jerk set me up with the Aline (https://www.aline.com/) insoles. And three month old Specialized Sports for the mountain bike, also with Alines.

But I plan on keeping these a long time - My prior mountain shoes went over six years. I replaced both of these pairs to accommodate the Alines. I love my Alines!

Hey, Obtuse sold me my Superfeet and he told me the Superfeet were better. If your Alines are older than a month (that is, if they are nice and smelly), tell Obtuse to give you your money back. That Marcuse wannabe is a capitalist pig like any other. :help:

davids
02-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey, Obtuse sold me my Superfeet and he told me the Superfeet were better. If your Alines are older than a month (that is, if they are nice and smelly), tell Obtuse to give you your money back. That Marcuse wannabe is a capitalist pig like any other. :help:Yeah, but he's our capitalist pig.

Different strokes for different folks, I'm guessing. The Alines are a small miracle for me.