PDA

View Full Version : NAHBS pictures

cpg
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Not mine but I thought people would like to see them.
http://flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/

Curt

shinomaster
02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
You just ruined it for me :confused:

goonster
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyou!

:beer:

72gmc
02-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Never seen an Ahearne in person, but I sure would like to.

Fun to see the guy who painted my bike in one of those pictures.

mschol17
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Very pretty, all of them, but how do they ride? How does a twin top tube or twin fork blade contribute to the performance?

Louis
02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Gee, I wonder how many folks from the Weight Weenies site will be hanging out in Portland this weekend?

Interesting how even a tiny subculture like Cycling can itself be broken down still further into micro-cultures.

Louis

MalleyNogo
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
That hardwood monocoque looks amazing...far more elegantly resolved that the Calfee bamboo bike from a few years ago.

Who cares how it ride? It's pretty.

...and the same can probably be said for quite a few of the bikes at that show...

Cary Ford
02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
The scene already looks tired and cliche to me.

Louis
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
The scene already looks tired and cliche to me.

I was thinking the same thing, but then realized that maybe it's just what that person happened to choose for the pictures. The show as a whole is probably a better representation of the "handmade world" than that selection of shots suggests.

Cary Ford
02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but then realized that maybe it's just what that person happened to choose for the pictures. The show as a whole is probably a better representation of the "handmade world" than that selection of shots suggests.

Notwithstanding, reminds me of the implosion of the grunge scene.

Cobain (Sacha) makes something new. Moments later, hundreds of clones jump on in an attempt to replicate and ride the wave. Perhaps an Eddie Vedder will emerge from the crowd.

Meanwhile, standing behind and above them all, Neil Young (Sachs) rocks on.

shinomaster
02-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Cobain (Sacha) makes something new. Moments later, hundreds of clones jump on in an attempt to replicate and ride the wave. Perhaps an Eddie Vedder will emerge from the crowd.

I'm waiting for them to bring back banana seats.

paczki
02-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Sheldon

MarcusPless
02-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Sheldon

+1

The flask with Sheldon etched/lasered into it is my absolute favorite.

coylifut
02-08-2008, 06:38 PM

That's a fair assesment.

I was thinking the same thing and the moment it came to mind I knew others were right there with me. However, my next thought was what if I'm the cynic and I'm rejecting a true renaissance in cycling? In the 28 years I've been cycling, bikes, equipment and people to ride with have never been so plentiful. I find some people are a bit bummed that this fringe activity they've discovered has become main stream. I say the more the merrier.

It's quite natural that when a builder such as Sasha comes along, a whole scene will spin off of it. I lived in the Portland and Seattle areas for the whole grunge explosion and it was great.

Grant McLean
02-08-2008, 06:41 PM
oh man, come on! nobody said there there was going to be cookies!??!?!?!!

-g

roman meal
02-08-2008, 06:43 PM

-g

They look pretty, but they are half-baked inside.

Erik.Lazdins
02-08-2008, 06:47 PM

-g

I've got cookies here and bikes - yet somehow I feel I'm missing something out there in Portland!

:beer:

Louis
02-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Maybe this guy (http://steampunkworkshop.com/) has a booth.

manet
02-08-2008, 06:55 PM

-g

all of the cookies karin baked for the booth, dave ate on the drive to

johnnymossville
02-08-2008, 07:13 PM
cnc machined wooden bike frames by Renovo? never saw those before.

Ken Robb
02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
this could be the "Buncha Weird Stuff Show" with a few ridable bikes on the side. :rolleyes:

Cary Ford
02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
There is renaissance and the more are merrier - I see guys and gals COMMUTING through LA rush hour traffic on single speeds every day. Santa Monica even took away 2 lanes on Ocean Park Boulevard a few months ago to create bike lanes. These things are worthy of many big smiles and good soul feelings all around.

Just please don't sell Pepsi with it. Not yet.

flux
02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
this could be the "Buncha Weird Stuff Show" with a few ridable bikes on the side. :rolleyes:

+1

For those of you guys and gals with a camera lucky enough to be there how about some pics of the reputable, non-anatomic goods on display at NAHBS?

Here is a dancing banana to motivate you: :banana:

bironi
02-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Curt,

The comment below is not directed at you.

I'll be there Saturday, and I don't think I will waste much time on what was pictured here. The pic quality is good, but.............................................If this is anywhere close to the best of show, then the east coast can have it for many years to come. :beer:

I seriously believe this poster is trying to reduce the crowds.

mschol17
02-08-2008, 09:21 PM
They look pretty, but they are half-baked inside.

After all, a cookie can look pretty good on the outside with a good coat of frosting. Until you bite it apart, you don't know how well it's made on the inside.

RIHans
02-09-2008, 12:40 AM
For those of you guys and gals with a camera lucky enough to be there how about some pics of the reputable, non-anatomic goods on display at NAHBS?

But,those Signal bikes looked kinda interesting. Nice finish.

Yoo, Those there...Signal...Real Deal, or Posers?

Another thought, most of those shots were of rando-type bikes.

Give us the race bikes!

Thanks cpg for posting...Nice work!

shinomaster
02-09-2008, 12:46 AM
+1

Here is a dancing banana to motivate you: :banana:

Tomorrow.. :) Me and Zank are gonna look at "Race Bikes."

swoop
02-09-2008, 12:50 AM
shino... hit the road speedvagen for me.. and shoot it as a whole bike and not arty.

i'm dyin' here.

rinconryder
02-09-2008, 12:57 AM
shino... hit the road speedvagen for me.. and shoot it as a whole bike and not arty.

i'm dyin' here.

+1...... Curious though, why no routey the brake cable through the seat post? That is one of the things that I thought made a speedvagen...a speedvagen, no?

swoop
02-09-2008, 01:00 AM
+1...... Curious though, why no routey the brake cable through the seat post? That is one of the things that I thought made a speedvagen...a speedvagen, no?

road brakes aren't canti brakes. i would imagine the cable routing was for the center-pull. on a road bike it has no reason to be....but i dunno.

RudAwkning
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Got to meet "Ginger" and "Big Shanty" in person today which was a treat. Forgot my camera at the hotel today so no shots of the convention but did manage to snag a few snaps at Sacha White's "afterparty". Enjoy!

shinomaster
02-09-2008, 01:09 AM
***? Why wasn't I there?

shinomaster
02-09-2008, 01:10 AM

i'm dyin' here.

Done. What is "arty." They never taught me that in "art school"

swoop
02-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Done. What is "arty." They never taught me that in "art school"

please show me the effing bike in profile .. soup to nuts and not through a diopter and dutched atmo. i don't wanna marvel at the focal length of the lens or the depth of field or think see a visual meditation on welds and angles... i just wanna see the damn bike.. 50 mil lens and no funny business.

*laughs*

oy.

flux
02-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Got to meet "Ginger" and "Big Shanty" in person today which was a treat. Forgot my camera at the hotel today so no shots of the convention but did manage to snag a few snaps at Sacha White's "afterparty". Enjoy!

Hmmm..... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbGSDkvh8B0)

flux
02-09-2008, 01:26 AM
***? Why wasn't I there?

Shino,

Do you have a scruffy beard and a cute little beanie?

shinomaster
02-09-2008, 01:26 AM
please show me the effing bike in profile .. soup to nuts and not through a diopter and dutched atmo. i don't wanna marvel at the focal length of the lens or the depth of field or think see a visual meditation on welds and angles... i just wanna see the damn bike.. 50 mil lens and no funny business.

*laughs*

oy.

OK :)

big shanty
02-09-2008, 04:09 AM
If I had to summarize the highlight of my day, it's simple. JP Weigle. The man, and every aspect of the bikes....dialed.

Really, too much good stuff (mostly people) to mention. Bike-related stuff....it's harder to identify things that were truly "exciting" ....but here goes:

-Weigle's personal randonee bike
-Sachs bikes in person. Red road bike with super skinny Challenge tubs "made it move".
-Road SPEEDVAGEN '08 prototype, and the Vanilla bikes
-Bilenky touring bikes. Purposeful and cool
-Primered Baylis frame belonging to Kirk Pacenti. Should be painted a single color and left alone for chrissakes. Impressive.
-A Nobilette road frame that is off-the-charts.
-Some of the carbon stuff is hot (Parlee, Crumpton)
-Dave Kirk's consistently rocking offerings

On the flip side....there is bike by "naked" (Canadian framebuilder)...that looks like an escape pod from Tango & Cash's truck.

Sacha White
02-09-2008, 04:19 AM
road brakes aren't canti brakes. i would imagine the cable routing was for the center-pull. on a road bike it has no reason to be....but i dunno.

You're right.

A.L.Breguet
02-09-2008, 05:14 AM
:crap: Crap crap :crap: crappity crapping :crap: crap crap.
:crap:

:crap: I want a new bike. Proper racing geometry in steel with lugs. Steel fork, too. :crap:
It's not in the crapping crappity crap budget. :crap: :crap: :crap:

stevep
02-09-2008, 05:33 AM
shino,
grab the arc and finish swoops frame off yrself to shut him up.
all of socal will be on edge until he gets his stupid frame.

"jayssus, i need a pic,
mama...send me a pic...
pleeeez.."

try not to blow through in too many places....

capybaras
02-09-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm waiting for them to bring back banana seats.
+1 :banana: :banana: :banana:

whitecda
02-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Comes with custom keg trailer! Darren?

Nice stem however!

palincss
02-09-2008, 07:04 AM
http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/gallery/4301856_GNe7g/1#252364465

These are Alex Wetmore's photos. Alex runs bikelist.org, and is a frequent contributor on the iBOB and KOG lists and a key member of those communities.

goonster
02-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Nice photos, but I'm starting to despair that there's no tandem in the Bilenky booth. :crap:

Maybe it just wasn't ready.

Tony Pereira's blue bike looks great, and I'm psyched that he's making a rod-operated front der with a clamp.

The Signal bikes also look good to me, even if they are the New Kids on the Portland Block. At least it's a good look, atmo, and I'm perfectly happy if that is the direction "things" are going.

As a member of the Kegerator Club, I'm curious to hear more about the bike that apparently has tap handles on the stem. Weird.

Who's making the custom Porteur bags? I'd love to see some bespoke bike luggage from ReLoad.

Spicoli
02-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Luv all the really unique "Wooly cycling caps" goin around! Is that the new uniform?

capybaras
02-09-2008, 07:59 AM
scrub down with some pinetar soap and you might feel better :banana:

Spicoli
02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
scrub down with some pinetar soap and you might feel better :banana:
If that does not work, I will click on the "animated gang bang movies" thread to cheer me up?

I will edit my cranky reponse.

capybaras
02-09-2008, 08:07 AM
If that does not work, I will click on the "animated gang bang movies" thread to cheer me up?

Good thinking! :banana:

capybaras
02-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Luv all the really unique "Wooly cycling caps" goin around! Is that the new uniform?

that's because rainbow afro wigs don't fit that well under bowling ball helmets

Spicoli
02-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Big ups for whichever moderator yanked that crap off so fast, Nicely done! :banana:

DarrenCT
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Comes with custom keg trailer! Darren?

Nice stem however!

dude!

thats mint! :beer:

swoop
02-09-2008, 08:46 AM
darren.. velonews.com

mjb266
02-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice photos, but I'm starting to despair that there's no tandem in the Bilenky booth. :crap:

Maybe it just wasn't ready.

Tony Pereira's blue bike looks great, and I'm psyched that he's making a rod-operated front der with a clamp.

The Signal bikes also look good to me, even if they are the New Kids on the Portland Block. At least it's a good look, atmo, and I'm perfectly happy if that is the direction "things" are going.

As a member of the Kegerator Club, I'm curious to hear more about the bike that apparently has tap handles on the stem. Weird.

Who's making the custom Porteur bags? I'd love to see some bespoke bike luggage from ReLoad.

There's a tandem there but it was in the back getting it's picture taken (studio type shots) for quite a long time...if it's any sign, Sachs was back there quite a while as well.

shinomaster
02-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Shino,

Do you have a scruffy beard and a cute little beanie?

no..

old_school
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
What's up with the seat stays? Do the bends provide any functional advantage, or are they created purely for the purpose of aesthetics?

http://velonews.com/files/images/4_0.jpg

MarleyMon
02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
What's up with the seat stays? Do the bends provide any functional advantage, or are they created purely for the purpose of aesthetics?

Cannondale has had the "hourglass" seat stays for years.
The function, is for, umm, errr, aaa - comfort and performance! :)
I think they "give" a little.

I was struck by the seattube/mast - I take it its one piece up to the silver band?

swoop
02-09-2008, 02:34 PM
shino,
grab the arc and finish swoops frame off yrself to shut him up.
all of socal will be on edge until he gets his stupid frame.

"jayssus, i need a pic,
mama...send me a pic...
pleeeez.."

try not to blow through in too many places....

you know me so well it freaks me out. quick.. what number am i thinking?
(53). did you say 53..? man, i got chills.

swoop
02-09-2008, 02:42 PM

http://velonews.com/files/images/4_0.jpg

well.. i can tell you my guess... they look pretty stout and some might argue that's a nice way to retains some stoutness but add in some suppleness.
some say this is nonsense.... and some say its good engineering.
my take is that some people confuse his design choices for just being a visual thing.. but what i see is that everything has a reason to be and that justifies paying some attention to it. form is function is form. ommanipadmeum.

stout-upple.
atmo, etc.
but ... you'd have to ask the guy making them.

old_school
02-09-2008, 03:41 PM
what i see is that everything has a reason to be and that justifies paying some attention to it. form is function is form

sort of what I was thinking, particularly given Sacha's work as a whole

you'd have to ask the guy making them

hopefully Mr. White will pick up on this later and chime in

nice to see work that is both purposeful and elegant

bumperjohn
02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
There are some beautiful bikes as well as some bikes that are pretty out there. It kind of reminds me the way that custom made motorcycles and choppers became more outlandish and less functional a few years ago.