PDA

View Full Version : Your Doctor Needs an Appropriate Race Frame

Dr. Doofus
08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Dear Serottans:

It is, doubtless, rather odd for your Doctor to be shopping for a frame when he is well in arrears with his 25.00 payment to Mr. Keno. However, your humble correspondent will, dauntless, proceed with his query.

Your fellow rider does love steel. It is inexpensive. It is durable. Lugged frames can be repaired, and your faithful piece of Masters/3 pack-fodder is, shall we say, somewhat diffident in a pack, and somewhat, er, feared, for reasons that are less than complimentary. In other words, frame repair is a possibility that should be considered. Your wobbling "hammer" (a terrible combination) would prefer to spend no less than 900.00 on a custom frame with the appropriate 74 seat, 73.5 head, 42mm rake, 59 seat tube, 59 top tube geometry for your Doofus.

Currently, there look to be two possibilities:

Mercian: cheap, either flexy and moderately heavy or stiff and ponderous, but wonderfully eccentric....

Curtlo: at the 900 limit with a steel fork, but cool in an odd way with the "Tron"-esque graphics.

Any suggestions? What should be the proper racing steed for your Phonic Physician? Other possiblities one might consider?

Your Most Squirrely Servant, Unless He Is Pulling, Which Is Really The Best Use of His Modest Talents,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

Climb01742
08-19-2004, 03:43 PM
doc, aside from the fact that my suggestion doesn't meet your two parameters, it does at least involve steel and could be built to your specs: have you looked into anvil bikeworks? fascinating site and some of the frames he's built look, as we say here in beantown, wicked fast. perhaps a useless suggestion, but at least its free.

zap
08-19-2004, 04:09 PM
No less or no more than $900? More than $900, Land Shark. But that paint can be to sweet to put on a crash, er, racing bike.

bcm119
08-19-2004, 04:34 PM
I'd be the third with an unhelpful suggestion, but Zap beat me to it. Landshark.
How cool of a race bike is this (http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/Gallery/DWard.html) ?

Marron
08-19-2004, 05:47 PM
I have to sing the praises of Gunnar, still being in the infatuation phase of my relationship with a new bike. I paid $300 for my frame on e-bay with the thought that it would be my new commuter/travel bike. Well, it's become my new favorite. The ride and feel are fabulous and it really does seem like a Waterford in sheeps clothing. (There's a pattern here, I have a Rambouillet, not a "real" Rivendell.) You could get a custom frame for the $900 you mentioned.

I also have to put in a plug for Anvil. My friend Wayne owns one and has been delighted by the his. It looks very cool and is probably the only bike Wayne will never break, but that's another story.

jerk
08-19-2004, 09:37 PM
doc-
it doesn't matter.
jerk

(but if you really must have steel and want to spend 900 bucks, get a cervelo super prodigy. it'll fit it you in the 61c-t size with its 73.5 degree seat angle and its 587 top tube......check out the chainstays and the front center...the bike will be balanced with the saddle set back and reach you need.......plus it's a really tough bike and the only steel bike being raced prfessionally in europe which speaks either of how horrible a cervelo aluminum is on cobbles or that the thing is a great bike. folks seem to like'm and it does come with one of the jerk's favorite carbon forks.)

coylifut
08-19-2004, 09:48 PM
When was the last time you saw a bike with crome on it? The Super Prodigy not only rides nice, it looks good and is a great deal as well; especially when sold as a complete bike.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/PRGW/bike_ch1825

jerk
08-19-2004, 10:38 PM
it's nickel plated...damn the chinese can do anything a couple of canadian egg heads dream up....