PDA

View Full Version : Pimping Steel Frame builders and forumite services

Smiley
02-08-2008, 08:18 AM
First of all I want to thank everybody for sharing the love amongst us forum members with referals and business contacts.
My award for most generous offer goes to SamIAm for his 10 rebates for Curt Goodrich frames. I might have jumped on this deal if I was not pimpimg K Bedford frames to my buddies on the side as I had some notice to the fact that Bedford Frames would be born soon. Also thanks to you that have sent me valuable fit clients over the years. I really enjoy doing custom fits and mostly enjoy making cycling more enjoyable for all of my clients.
This is a wonderful community and a special place to hang out on.

DarrenCT
02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
SamIam deserves a beer.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2366/beercheersgirls2ay5.png (http://imageshack.us)

SamIAm
02-08-2008, 08:33 AM
SamIam deserves a beer.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2366/beercheersgirls2ay5.png (http://imageshack.us)

I love beer. In fact I am not sure I would ride if a beer wasn't waiting for me when finished, but somehow I am not focusing on beer in this picture. :)

By the way at the end of the day, there were 12 takers. I can't say no. An even dozen, there should be a good name for this group, but dirty dozen doesn't seem quite right.

97CSI
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Got room for one more to make it a baker's dozen?

Smiley
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
By the way at the end of the day, there were 12 takers. I can't say no. An even dozen, there should be a good name for this group, but dirty dozen doesn't seem quite right.

Sam a MOST GENEROUS gift on your behalf. I am sure the takers and Curt thank you. What did you do to Curts wait time now :)

DarrenCT
02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I love beer. In fact I am not sure I would ride if a beer wasn't waiting for me when finished, but somehow I am not focusing on beer in this picture. :)

rob,

especially in the summer when you can ride late and have a cold one after

nothing beats that

Blue Jays
02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
The enormous generosity exhibited by fellow forumite SamIAm is completely humbling and truly one of the most remarkable acts of "bicycle kindness" ever seen on these pages.

:beer:

SamIAm
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Got room for one more to make it a baker's dozen?

Yes!

dave1215
02-08-2008, 10:02 AM
The enormous generosity exhibited by fellow forumite SamIAm is completely humbling and truly one of the most remarkable acts of "bicycle kindness" ever seen on these pages.

:beer:

indeed!

97CSI
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Yes!Thank you. How do I go about placing my order, making deposit, etc.?

p.s. Tried to PM, but your mailbox runneth over.

Edit: Heard from Sam and will give CG a call to get the ball rolling.

big shanty
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I heart SamIAm!!!

Smiley
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
I should add another act of kindness where Sandy aka SandMan GAVE for Free his old CSI during its peak desireability period to a Forumite for him to pass onto this guys brother since he could not afford a bike. This was a beautiful 9 speed DurAce equipped bike with wheels.

Frankwurst
02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
An even dozen, there should be a good name for this group, but dirty dozen doesn't seem quite right.

The lucky ones. At least that's what I consider myself. :beer:

14max
02-08-2008, 10:23 AM

steelrider
02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Gosh, I feel that I dropped the ball on this one. Let's push the envelope and go for 14!

michael white
02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
i will do it too. Are you done taking orders? I will place deposit today if you want.

best,
mike

14max
02-08-2008, 10:25 AM

SamIAm
02-08-2008, 10:33 AM
i will do it too. Are you done taking orders? I will place deposit today if you want.

best,
mike

Done.

Gosh, I feel that I dropped the ball on this one. Let's push the envelope and go for 14!

and done!

In for a penny, in for a pound!

steelrider
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Dear SamIAm, what a generous act. I was over in Berkeley the other day and I saw the Berkeleyesque bumper sticker, "Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty." You sir have truly embodied this philosophy. What a good-natured fellow.

Smiley
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM
SamIAm, your nuts in a good way :banana:

Frankwurst
02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
The world needs more people like SamIAm and after talking with Curt yesterday I believe he will be overwhelmed and most grateful just like the rest of us involved. :beer:

72gmc
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
One wonders if there could be a little something unique about the SamIam "fleet"... something small, so it's not an extra burden on Mr. Goodrich.

Just thinking out loud, pre-coffee. Good on you, SamIam. Wish I could be in the fleet.

mschol17
02-08-2008, 11:45 AM
One wonders if there could be a little something unique about the SamIam "fleet"... something small, so it's not an extra burden on Mr. Goodrich.

Just thinking out loud, pre-coffee. Good on you, SamIam. Wish I could be in the fleet.

SamVagen?

SoCalSteve
02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Um, what did I miss? What is SamIam doing? Not that I need or can afford another bike at this time, just wondering what he did???

Thanks,

Steve

Smiley
02-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Um, what did I miss? What is SamIam doing? Not that I need or can afford another bike at this time, just wondering what he did???

Thanks,

Steve
he's the Easter Bunny ahead of schedule :)

Frankwurst
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
This thread is a spin off of the value and cost thread started by dbrk, See it for the details. :beer:

J.Greene
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
SamIAm, your nuts in a good way :banana:

absolutely! a patron of patrons. I had visons of taking him up on his offer myself. FL needs a Pink Goodrich like Doug's. Sam's generosity is astounding.

JG

SamIAm
02-08-2008, 12:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing and my current thinking is why not tie it into the a tribute to Sheldon Brown, maybe something as subtle as simply stamping something special onto the bottom bracket of these 16 bikes. This of course would ultimately be up to Curt and his customers, not me. But just a thought.

97CSI
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe they could be called the "Captain" series.

Frankwurst
02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing and my current thinking is why not tie it into the a tribute to Sheldon Brown, maybe something as subtle as simply stamping something special onto the bottom bracket of these 16 bikes. This of course would ultimately be up to Curt and his customers, not me. But just a thought.

Great Idea! I'm in. If Curt is willing, it would be great if you two could work out the details. :beer:

erikbrooks
02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing and my current thinking is why not tie it into the a tribute to Sheldon Brown

What a great idea! Perhaps they could all be painted in a new color - "Sheldon Brown", or better yet, "Carapace umber" (did I spell that right?)

Erik,
who's been on the fence about ordering his first custom frame, and wish he'd been here in time to take advantage of SamIam's incredibly generous offer.

97CSI
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Erik - You may not be too late. Have you ask Sam?

Tried to reach CG a couple of times via phone. But, am guessing he is very busy trying to get things in order for his new order. :)

So, have put together an e-mail with some info and sent along.

What is everyone else getting? Is this to be a run of we all get the same basic road-bike or do we get to order pretty much what we want?

I'm wanting an 'all rounder' that will fit 700x32 tires, full eyelets for fenders and panniers, S&S couplers for traveling and disc brakes (Avid mechanical). Bright yellow with black panels. Feel sure that it will be my only be-spoke bicycle, so might as well get what I want.

How about everyone else?

Erik.Lazdins
02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd be remiss if I didn't post on this subject. I'd typed posts previously and backed out each time thinking that my words would not do justice to SamIAm's heart and gesture.

About 2 years ago I had the privilege of being accepted into the queue of a builder who hangs out here. This to me is a journey, to send a deposit off and at some point be able to receive a bike in return that was built for me. Having had a custom mouthpiece built for me in years past, I realize that I like this type of purchase - it speaks to me and is more personal than buying something quickly.

But I was stuck for words when I read, about Sam I Ams gesture and still am. Suffice it to say the world needs more of what Sam I Am has in his heart.

I've learned a lot in this Serotta forum over the time I've been here, and over the past couple days I have learned some more.

:beer: to you SamIAm in fact I'd offer you a beer and green eggs and ham should you stop by!

Thanks for reading,
Erik

erikbrooks
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Erik - You may not be too late. Have you ask Sam?

if samIam extended his offer to me, I'd take it - but I couldn't think of asking for it.

In any case, I look forward to hearing of how this run of bikes comes out - and especially seeing pictures! This seems like a very special run of bikes - custom one-offs, and yet linked by a special bond.

Erik

paczki
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
A Sheldon Brown tribute is a wonderful idea.

I was just talking to one of my friends who used to go on family camping trips with Mr. Brown. He said one of his fondest memories of Sheldon was a camping trip they went on to one of the islands in the Charles. Sheldon was late, and both families were wondering where he was, until they heard the sound of Gilbert and Sullivan being sung very loud. And there was Sheldon singing the Mikado at top volume while paddling against the current up the Charles. :banana:

brians647
02-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I'm for the Sheldon idea too. I mean, this whole thing is insane. It really is. I still don't know what to make of it. I've had to do some "priority management" recently, and this whole thing threw it upside down.

Anyway, on the Sheldon idea, I'm not creative, and don't have any great concepts to share (although, the bottom bracket stamp sounds cool), but I think it's a fitting way of getting, giving back, and putting the physical stamp of good Karma on a machine of good vibes.

cw05
02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I've been in awe the past 2 days at SamIAm's generosity. I'm glad to say that I was already Goodrich's frame queue. Should be coming up on ~10 mos. now. Was going to be a special frame anyway but watching all of this will make it more so. Interesting as the pics of SamIAm's Goodrich sportif here was the reason I finally pulled the trigger last spring.

brians647
02-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been in awe the past 2 days at SamIAm's generosity. I'm glad to say that I was already Goodrich's frame queue. Should be coming up on ~10 mos. now. Was going to be a special frame anyway but watching all of this will make it more so. Interesting as the pics SamIAm's Goodrich sportif here was the reason I finally pulled the trigger last spring.

Good stuff. I can't wait to see other CG rigs, to whet my appetite for what's in store! Too cool...

SamIAm
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd be remiss if I didn't post on this subject. I'd typed posts previously and backed out each time thinking that my words would not do justice to SamIAm's heart and gesture.

About 2 years ago I had the privilege of being accepted into the queue of a builder who hangs out here. This to me is a journey, to send a deposit off and at some point be able to receive a bike in return that was built for me. Having had a custom mouthpiece built for me in years past, I realize that I like this type of purchase - it speaks to me and is more personal than buying something quickly.

But I was stuck for words when I read, about Sam I Ams gesture and still am. Suffice it to say the world needs more of what Sam I Am has in his heart.

I've learned a lot in this Serotta forum over the time I've been here, and over the past couple days I have learned some more.

:beer: to you SamIAm in fact I'd offer you a beer and green eggs and ham should you stop by!

Thanks for reading,
Erik

You give me too much credit, I am blushing.

I feel blessed to be able to help in some small way make a custom frame a reality for the good folks on this forum.

I feel like you guys did me the favor.

I will take all beer offers though. :beer:

SamIAm
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
if samIam extended his offer to me, I'd take it - but I couldn't think of asking for it.

In any case, I look forward to hearing of how this run of bikes comes out - and especially seeing pictures! This seems like a very special run of bikes - custom one-offs, and yet linked by a special bond.

Erik

Consider it extended. PM me.

thwart
02-08-2008, 04:37 PM
SamIAm, the patron saint of bicyclists...

All kidding aside, Sheldon Brown may actually be playing that role as we speak. By all rights, he should be.

I would be fine with some sort of tribute to Sheldon on my frame, and it wouldn't have to hide on the bottom of the BB. Curt may have some thoughts here...

97CSI
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Just got back from my LBS (if 50 miles is an LBS), where I've traded for many years (when I go to an LBS). He has been building bikes, mostly for the track (Nothstein) and a few others, for years, and wants to build my new bike. Being 50 miles away is much simpler, so am going Local.

Hopefully, this will free up a spot for someone else (or save SamIAm $500 that he can put to another worthy cause). Once, again, thank you Sam, for your generosity.

eak12
02-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I stumbled on to this thread while searching for thoughts on Curt Goodrich frames. I was flabbergasted by what I found. The offer by SamIAm is unlike anything I've ever seen in a forum. It's incredibly generous.

The notion of a tribute to Sheldon Brown is really great. I've exchanged e-mails with him over the years, and he was always enthusiastic, helpful, and kind. His contributions to the cycling community at large are undeniable, and he is truly missed.

I'd like to suggest that if a theme for these bikes does emerge, that it could be extended to include both Sheldon Brown and SamIAm. SamIAm is by definition a benefactor of these bikes, and artists often pay tribute to their benefactors in their work. I love that Erik.Lazdins offered SamIAm some green eggs and ham with a beer! Perhaps that could find a way in.

Anyway, I'd be honored to be #17 in this group.

All the best,
Eugene

14max
02-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Frankwurst
02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
SamIAm, the patron saint of bicyclists...

All kidding aside, Sheldon Brown may actually be playing that role as we speak. By all rights, he should be.

I would be fine with some sort of tribute to Sheldon on my frame, and it wouldn't have to hide on the bottom of the BB. Curt may have some thoughts here...

Seat tube is what I have in mind. Or if Curt were into the idea, a one off headtube badge for this run of frames. SamIAm and Curt should have the say in this matter as far as I'm concerned. :beer:

SamIAm
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Seat tube is what I have in mind. Or if Curt were into the idea, a one off headtube badge for this run of frames. SamIAm and Curt should have the say in this matter as far as I'm concerned. :beer:

A headtube badge sounds like a real good idea, but ultimately it is up to you guys and Curt. Whatever it is, you are going to need 20!

Smiley
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
A headtube badge sounds like a real good idea, but ultimately it is up to you guys and Curt. Whatever it is, you are going to need 20!
Will u be donating funds for a K Beford frame :)

Frankwurst
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM

There are 19 of you out there. I'm in. :bee
After my conversation with Curt I kinda think he will be too.

14max
02-09-2008, 05:53 PM

jmeloy
02-09-2008, 07:02 PM
gpdavis2 had to bail so SamIAm was kind enough to let me have his spot (bought some components from gpd2 last month so maybe this is some good karma from that!). A tribute to Sheldon (and maybe a tribute to SamIAm as well??) is a great idea! Should we create a list of the "20" who have received this special kindness from SIA?
JAM

thwart
02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
A head tube memorial badge works for me.

I would trust Curt's judgment on this.

---and, on a lighter note, something about green eggs and ham somewhere on the bike seems appropriate as well. :beer:

michael white
02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't know, I think I'd prefer a CG headtube badge--I think if there is a builder, his name ought to be there--but the thought of honoring SB is a great one, and I'm all for it. A lovely idea.

best,
m

Frankwurst
02-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't know, I think I'd prefer a CG headtube badge--I think if there is a builder, his name ought to be there--but the thought of honoring SB is a great one, and I'm all for it. A lovely idea.

best,
m

I'm not for anything less than a CG headtube badge. What I'm promoting is a CG one off headtube badge that incorporates a tribute to SamIAm and Sheldon Brown and I'm with thwart on this I'd trust Curt's judgement on this if He's O.K. with it. What say the others. :beer:

brians647
02-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I think that's a good idea. However, I'm not really familiar with how head tube badges are made. What I'm getting at, is that if it entails modifying a current stamp or die to make the CG head badge, then maybe that's asking too much of Curt. What Michael may be saying, is keep the head tube badge what it is now; that's what SamIAm wanted out there - the CG name and it's logo - right? I don't think incorporating anything would take away from Curt however, it's just the labor aspect I want to be respectful of.

I think the Sheldon idea is awesome, but maybe an easier way to do it is a badge that goes onto the seat tube (which, I know, entails more tooling, etc), or maybe a painted on insignia so that would take up less time (comparatively) of the painter than the builder.

Again, I don't know the process, just typing what comes to mind. I'm eager to see what options Curt is willing to throw out there when he gets back from the show - he'll probably have an easy winner.

Frankwurst
02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I think that's a good idea. However, I'm not really familiar with how head tube badges are made. What I'm getting at, is that if it entails modifying a current stamp or die to make the CG head badge, then maybe that's asking too much of Curt. What Michael may be saying, is keep the head tube badge what it is now; that's what SamIAm wanted out there - the CG name and it's logo - right? I don't think incorporating anything would take away from Curt however, it's just the labor aspect I want to be respectful of.

I think the Sheldon idea is awesome, but maybe an easier way to do it is a badge that goes onto the seat tube (which, I know, entails more tooling, etc), or maybe a painted on insignia so that would take up less time (comparatively) of the painter than the builder.

Again, I don't know the process, just typing what comes to mind. I'm eager to see what options Curt is willing to throw out there when he gets back from the show - he'll probably have an easy winner.

He's not at the show and I'll go along with whatever the majority goes with. My personal feelings are headtube badge or seattube decal and ultimately it should be up to SamIAm and Curt. And your right Curt will have an idea. Either way, I personally will have some tribute to both of them on my bicycle. :beer:

DarrenCT
02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
keep the original CG head tube badge atmo

jmeloy
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
have you all seen the small stainless touches that Whitney Moyer adds to his frames?
One of my favorites is a small stainless cutout of the state of Texas. He applies either high up on the ST or back towards the seat post on the TT. /http://www.flickr.com/photos/moyercycles/639831483/in/set-72157600104952425/
Might be a cool way to thank Rob and SB?
JAM

Blue Jays
02-10-2008, 10:10 AM
/\/\ Linky no worky, jmeloy! :(

jmeloy
02-10-2008, 10:18 AM
better?

Blue Jays
02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Sweet! Would be even sharper in a brush-finish steel. :beer:

paczki
02-10-2008, 10:23 AM
How about a nice, brief, quote from the Captain on the side of the top tube?

14max
02-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Frankwurst
02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I guess the bottom line is these will all be built for the individual involved so it should be their choice. :beer:

michael white
02-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I guess the bottom line is these will all be built for the individual involved so it should be their choice. :beer:

--and that, I venture to say, would be the Sheldon way.

sailorboy
02-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I would prefer it to be a goodrich badge, Sheldon Brown initials or something on the BB would be OK. Other than that, I feel it should be up to the owner of the frame what, if any, other stuff is painted on there.

Again, I would like to thank Rob (SamIam) for making this happen, and to Douglas for starting the discussion and always promoting Curt's works of art.

PS, for those still thinking about it, don't forget prices will increase soon, so if on the fence, order now!! The price, even without the generous subsidy, is still a great value IMO.

I just spoke with Curt today and requested something pretty lightweight and racy, e-richie lugs, probably a pearl white with red panels (ala Faema/Cotcamp) bikes we've seen before. I can't wait to see some of the finished products.

I'm still thinking of a way to pay forward the generosity extended by SamIam, probably in the form of offering some good stuff I'm not using up for free on the forum. Anyone know of any organizations that take cycling stuff and give it away to young riders or something?

slowgoing
02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
PS, for those still thinking about it, don't forget prices will increase soon, so if on the fence, order now!! The price, even without the generous subsidy, is still a great value IMO.

Is there a link to what the prices are and will be???

And extremely nice going, samIam. Way to spread the love.

sailorboy
02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Is there a link to what the prices are and will be???

And extremely nice going, samIam. Way to spread the love.

If you are interested, I would recommend calling to be sure of what you will pay; and of course, the final price will depend on exactly what you want done with the final product. Curt's blog also has a recent entry about pricing and the increase, as well as lots of other stuff that is bound to make you want him to build your next bike!

http://curtgoodrich.blogspot.com/

sjbraun
02-27-2008, 08:21 AM
is a most generous person and 20 of you just received a nice discount on a Goodrich because of that generosity.

I like a deal as much as the next guy, but how many of the 20 couldn't have afforded a Goodrich without SamIam's help?

Just wondering

shinomaster
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Yes!

I need a new roadbike SamIam!

SamIAm
02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
I need a new roadbike SamIam!

I'm here to help if that roadbike is to be a Goodrich. PM me if you are serious.

vaxn8r
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
This forum continually amazes me.

In a good way, more often than not. Very nice.

shinomaster
02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
This forum continually amazes me.

In a good way, more often than not. Very nice.

If we all work together we could buy an island, and call it the Serotta Forum island. It would be like LOST, except without all the mayhem. Just bananas and bike riding and beer.

SoCalSteve
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
If we all work together we could buy an island, and call it the Serotta Forum island. It would be like LOST, except without all the mayhem. Just bananas and bike riding and beer.

I'm in!

Where do I pay?

Just askin'

Steve

e-RICHIE
02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm in!

Where do I pay?

Just askin'

Steve
atmo -

http://www.hollyeats.com/images/New%20York/Katzs-SendSalami.jpg