PDA

View Full Version : Campy Compact Crank Question

frogpirate
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
This is for a new build I'm just starting to gather parts for. Did Campy make a compact Chorus crank that was NOT carbon fibre, or am I going to have to use a Centaur? I really want to try and not have any (or at least much) CF on this bike.

Thanks in advance, Ken

Grant McLean
02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Did Campy make a compact Chorus crank that was NOT carbon fibre

nope... all Chorus and Record compact cranks are Carbon...
which seems a little odd when you think about it, since many of the
compact customers are non racers... but i guess that's what the centaur
group is targeted for anyway.

-g

SoCalSteve
02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
This is for a new build I'm just starting to gather parts for. Did Campy make a compact Chorus crank that was NOT carbon fibre, or am I going to have to use a Centaur? I really want to try and not have any (or at least much) CF on this bike.
Thanks in advance, Ken

Ken,

Have you been hanging out with DBRK? Next your gonna tell us that you want down tube shifters as well!

Just sayin'

Steve

handsomerob
02-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks in advance, Ken

The Centaur ones have a very nice finish (truth be told, I liked it better than the finish on the Chorus/Record alloy cranksets). Anyway, I was going to use it for a build and then the whole Waterford/Carrera switch-a-roo happened and it sadly was part of the deal.

I have a Veloce compact crank that looks almost as nice going on my Serotta Club Special. (Keep this a secret, but you can get the Veloce square taper compact cranksets for $50-$70 brand new on eBay every day.) The Centaurs are often almost twice as much. Since I was looking for a 34 small ring and couldn't care less about the weight, the Veloce was an easy choice. ;)

This is not a fact... only my observation, but I think the Centaur ones are normally 50/36 and the Veloce ones are 50/34.

Orin
02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
The Centaur ones have a very nice finish (truth be told, I liked it better than the finish on the Chorus/Record alloy cranksets). Anyway, I was going to use it for a build and then the whole Waterford/Carrera switch-a-roo happened and it sadly was part of the deal.

I have a Veloce compact crank that looks almost as nice going on my Serotta Club Special. (Keep this a secret, but you can get the Veloce square taper compact cranksets for $50-$70 brand new on eBay every day.) The Centaurs are often almost twice as much. Since I was looking for a 34 small ring and couldn't care less about the weight, the Veloce was an easy choice. ;)

This is not a fact... only my observation, but I think the Centaur ones are normally 50/36 and the Veloce ones are 50/34.

Nashbar have the gray Centaur compacts for $90 this week (has been as low as $60 or so). 34-48, 34-50 and 42-52 in 172.5 length. 34-50 in 175.

Orin.

BillyBear
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
compact when I "Coloradoized" my CSI...Didn't want no stinkin' Carbon fiber on my pretty steel bike...that was 10K miles ago the Centaur Crank is doing better than my bod!

Elefantino
02-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Check it out. You're going to want to have to use a Centaur.

TravisEvans
02-08-2008, 06:31 AM
I built up a Concours CX as a commuter, and have a Centaur 50/34 on it. It's my first compact crank. At first I worried that the shifting performance would suffer due to the 16 toooth jump. It's the best shifting bike I've ever ridden (as well as the most comfortable - but that's another story).

I don't think you'll be dissapointed w/ the Centaur.

frogpirate
02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
For what it is worth, I'm not a total Luddite (not that that is a BAD thing) I have FSA MegaExo SL-K Compact cranks on my Giant TCR zero; the rest of it is Dura Ace 10. I am looking to build a steel-framed credit-card touring / chairty ride bike, and would like it a little less, uhh, bling. :rolleyes: My wife has a Serotta Ottrott ST with Chorus that I've been really impressed with, so I thought I'd go Campy this time. I don't 'know' Campy though, so I'll probably be asking more questions!

Ken

frogpirate
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Nothing like visiting NAHBS to get me excited about a new bike project! Next question - I want to use 50-34 up front and 13-29 out back; do I need a medium cage rear der or is a short cage OK? I'm more interested in reliablity that saving a few grams.

Thanks, Ken

Viper
02-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Listen to this man atmo. And Orin hooked you up with a cool deal.

Campy = Campy
ATMO = mia in Portland
Roy Scheider = I was in tears last night
Shimano = covered in deadly lead paint
Blue Thunder = Overlooked movie, two stars, 2.5 if you liked Roy
Shimano = Red Bull
Campy = Red wine
Compact Crank with a 13/29 cassette = :beer:
Jacqueline Bisset in 'The Deep' = better than a compact crank with a 13/29
Handsomerob = one of the great guys out there
ATMO = we miss you
Star Wars Episode VII - Do you think it will take place someday?
DarrenCT = the ATMO of Beer
Frogpirate = very interesting log-in name, do tell it's origins thank you
Frogpirate = then post pics of your bike
Alloy parts = old fashioned never goes out of style
Peter Gabriel = Rides Steel ATMO at 1:10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwn_hnoS5Y

Big Dan
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Listen to this man atmo. And Orin hooked you up with a cool deal.

Campy = Campy
ATMO = mia in Portland
Roy Scheider = I was in tears last night
Shimano = covered in deadly lead paint
Blue Thunder = Overlooked movie, two stars, 2.5 if you liked Roy
Shimano = Red Bull
Campy = Red wine
Compact Crank with a 13/29 cassette = :beer:
Jacqueline Bisset in 'The Deep' = better than a compact crank with a 13/29
Handsomerob = one of the great guys out there
ATMO = we miss you
Star Wars Episode VII - Do you think it will take place someday?
DarrenCT = the ATMO of Beer
Frogpirate = very interesting log-in name, do tell it's origins thank you
Frogpirate = then post pics of your bike
Alloy parts = old fashioned never goes out of style
Peter Gabriel = Rides Steel ATMO at 1:10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwn_hnoS5Y

idiotic

Viper
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
idiotic

(no comment expect yer post ain't so big, BigDan).

PS. I am Miami Vice and I own Florida. You live there. Work with that and 'get it'.

weiwentg
02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd recommend TA, which Peter White stocks. I've seen the Carmina cranks in photos and they look nice. you can mount a 130mm or a 110mm spider. but, they're really, really expensive, nearly $400. and they take different BBs than Campy (103mm JIS for double).

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.asp

he also has the Zephyr cranks, but they take a longer (113, I think) spindle, and are the same price.

you can get Campy carbon square taper cranks for less than $400! I think the Centaur square taper or the UT crankset would do you. or you could just use the plastic cranks.

Big Dan
02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
(no comment expect yer post ain't so big, BigDan).

PS. I am Miami Vice and I own Florida. You live there. Work with that and 'get it'.

We lived Miami Vice here. I don't have to "get " anything.
I have never seen anyone post some much stupid chit in so little time.
Take a break bro.

Viper
02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
We lived Miami Vice here. I don't have to "get " anything.
I have never seen anyone post some much stupid chit in so little time.
Take a break bro.

It is folks like you who drag down the level of fun, discussion etc. Mirror, meet Dan. You're writing posts you can't cash. I sent you a PM, it's all very clear, like crystal. You still don't 'get it'. And your lack of wit and jealousy there within lies your rub. Got milk? Got funny? Check yer PM Daniel.

Big Dan
02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
It is folks like you who drag down the level of fun, discussion etc. Mirror, meet Dan. You're writing posts you can't cash. I sent you a PM, it's all very clear, like crystal. You still don't 'get it'. And your lack of wit and jealousy there within lies your rub. Got milk? Got funny? Check yer PM Daniel.

Please don't PM again in your life. I told you already.
Idiotic postings are what bringing this board down.
Maybe it's you that doesn't get it. Rainman? Rainman?

Viper
02-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Please don't PM again in your life. I told you already.
Idiotic postings are what bringing this board down.
Maybe it's you that doesn't get it. Rainman? Rainman?

Actually you cursed at me via PM, not nice! Big Dan, me thinks you got issues, deep ones bro. In the meantime, dial down yourself about 10 notches, you're an 11 right now and not sounding too good. You're jealous and it's not my fault.

idiotic postings = maybe it's humor you just can't get
idiot = buy a mirror and talk to it, and try to 'get it'.
forum vibe = you're a buzzkill thinking that you're special atmo
got issues = talk to a Mod, just don't curse them out too
Big Dan = not as big as Big Viper :) :cool: :beer:
Big Dan = hasn't offered this thread anything positive, informative or funny

Big Dan
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Actually you cursed at me via PM, not nice! Big Dan, me thinks you got issues, deep ones bro. In the meantime, dial down yourself about 10 notches, you're an 11 right now and not sounding too good. You're jealous and it's not my fault.

idiotic postings = humor you just can't get
idiot = buy a mirror and talk to it, and try to 'get it'.
forum vibe = you're a buzzkill thinking that you're special atmo
got issues = talk to a Mod, just don't curse them out too
Big Dan = not as big as Big Viper

Don't worry about me buddy. Buzzkill?
Are you the Mod now too? I feel sorry for this board then.

jeffg
02-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd recommend TA, which Peter White stocks. I've seen the Carmina cranks in photos and they look nice. you can mount a 130mm or a 110mm spider. but, they're really, really expensive, nearly $400. and they take different BBs than Campy (103mm JIS for double).

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.asp

he also has the Zephyr cranks, but they take a longer (113, I think) spindle, and are the same price.

you can get Campy carbon square taper cranks for less than $400! I think the Centaur square taper or the UT crankset would do you. or you could just use the plastic cranks.

I dunno, for that coin I would prefer a PMP Microroad -- don't know what they cost here, but in Europe it was the way to go, especially before Shimano and Campy had compacts of their own

Viper
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Don't worry about me buddy. Buzzkill?
Are you the Mod now too? I feel sorry for this board then.

So, what are your thoughts on a compact crankset? :confused: Anything to offer on it? :confused: Nope? :no: Then you're ruining the dudes original question on cranks. Maybe it's time to www.Moveon.Dan.org

OP, I ran Campy compact with a 13/29 and could climb anything. Great set up.

moveon.dan.org = so hot right now
Big Dan = it's not like going down to the pond and catching bluegills or tommy cocks, you're fishing in some witty waters here BD (and they're too deep for you atmo).

Big Dan
02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
No need to use compact cranks to ride up and down Ocean Drive....
53x42 and 12x21 is how we roll.

:rolleyes:

frogpirate
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Bike pictures. Well, this bike I haven't even ordered the FRAME yet. It will be steel, that much I know. Probably LandShark (leaning that way) or CoMotion Nor'Wester, maybe a Signal. It will have a CF for, but it will be well hidden under a layer of paint. ;)

Here is a picture of my IRO 'cross bike;
http://tworao.blogspot.com/2005/07/new-cyclocross-bike.html

I have a couple other bikes, but they are more or less off the shelf. A Litespeed Arenburg '01 and a Giant TCR 0 '05.

And here is my wife's Ottrott ST during final fit:
http://perljam.net/kdmorton/RAO/Serotta1.jpg

Frogpirate comes from my tatoo, a classic Frog 'n Crossbones:
http://candyassllamas.com/MAUI/Maui05%20110.jpg

I got the 'tat in '05 on Maui while on vacation there with my wife & son. I'd wanted it for awhile, and it seemed like a great time to get it. Partially celebrating our Race Across Oregon finish in '05, partially celebrating my Iron Butt Rally (a motorcycle thing) finish in '03 and partially celebrating our marriage in '05, but mostly celebrating my new life after 20 years of a bad marriage.

Ken

mosca
02-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Frogpirate comes from my tatoo, a classic Frog 'n Crossbones:
http://candyassllamas.com/MAUI/Maui05%20110.jpgOK, I'm not much for ink, but that rules! :beer:

And I think you'll need a med cage with that gearing. And get the Centaur alloy UT compact, it's nice and Peter Weigle had one on his bike at NAHBS and he's smart!