PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about this.

swoop
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
i've always owned gay-vague (thats silly-talk for well designed) euro cars like my current audi a3 and my last audi tt which came after a few vw gti's. ...
i secretly want a lotus to burn around the canyons in but i'm a one car guy and my baby needs to fit on board (the bike).

so tell me why the eff am i perving this...?
is there some sort of mark spitz like animal awakening in me?
does this mean i'll start watching the original star trek?

what to do? is this my midlife x-is? who knew...

ti_boi
02-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Maybe you like this too.....admit it..... :beer:

Grant McLean
02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
It means you live in LA.

Move to Vancouver, trade your mid-century Eames furniture for a Prius, and volunteer in a shrink co-op for
tree huggers.

... or weld the doors shut and let us know when you'll be on TV doing the OJ highway chase...
...either way, that'd be cool...

-g

ti_boi
02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Park that hot rod here.....it'd work aesthetically...........ATMO

swoop
02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
if anyone wants to gift me a case study house or a prefab from Marmol Radziner .. i'm down.

Grant McLean
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
if anyone wants to gift me a case study house or a prefab from Marmol Radziner .. i'm down.

pick one, and we'll ask Jack for a deposit

http://www.25books.com/25_books_detail.php?book=126&img=0&lang=en

-g

whitecda
02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Danger, Danger! You'd have to wear one of these!

Does it also have BIG cup holders?

SoCalSteve
02-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Which one? The Eames or the Neutra? You can have both as they are next to each other!

A few years back, I got to tour the Eames Case Study House and as a bonus, the Doctor who lives in the Neutra Case Study House next door (since it was built-he's retired now) let us tour his home as well...Pretty cool day!

Just sayin'

Steve

swoop
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
years ago.. my buddy's grandma died and he needed help clearing out the house to sell to cover costs (his family wasn't flush in any way). it was in the hills and just buried with overgowth and trash and a mess.... but it was a case study house. all the furnishings were designed-in...
and they were selling it for nothing. it wasbefore the mid-century rediscovery when everyone was building huge homages to the 80's.

i was just a starving artist twenty something... and couldn't get it together to buy it.
and i was trying to explain to his family what they had.... i real legit case study house.
but i couldn't even stop them from garage sale-ing the furniture piece by piece.

i still have nightmares about it twenty years later.

swoop
02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Which one? The Eames or the Neutra? You can have both as they are next to each other!

A few years back, I got to tour the Eames Case Study House and as a bonus, the Doctor who lives in the Neutra Case Study House next door (since it was built-he's retired now) let us tour his home as well...Pretty cool day!

Just sayin'

Steve

i got you beat! my dad designed for eames in 60-63. he did the airport seating, some stuff for mathematica, and you know ..charles and ray were generous with product and one offs.

julia
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
years ago.. my buddy's grandma died and he needed help clearing out the house to sell to cover costs (his family wasn't flush in any way). it was in the hills and just buried with overgowth and trash and a mess.... but it was a case study house. all the furnishings were designed-in...
and they were selling it for nothing. it wasbefore the mid-century rediscovery when everyone was building huge homages to the 80's.

i was just a starving artist twenty something... and couldn't get it together to buy it.
and i was trying to explain to his family what they had.... i real legit case study house.
but i couldn't even stop them from garage sale-ing the furniture piece by piece.

i still have nightmares about it twenty years later.

ouch.

eddief
02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
and much better mileage. fold down rear seat and all.

cadence231
02-07-2008, 07:04 PM
You like it because it has hips. Do you like a 68' Camaro too? Do you find yourself wanting to hump a Coke bottle? Were your needs not fulfilled by your primary object?

catulle
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Maybe you like this too.....admit it..... :beer:

Huh...? I admit it. I like her a lot. I like her much more than the car. Is there something wrong with me or something?

Viper
02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
and much better mileage. fold down rear seat and all.

Berkeley. :D I can buy it, but I need a cooty shot. :)

BMW = the ****ing **** atmo.

Blue Jays
02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Swoop's tres cool Audi A3 also has a fold-down rear seat. Similar to a Volkswagen GTI, it also has AWD among other goodies.

swoop
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
i'm being random but...
you know.. i don't understand why you can't walk into a showroom and order any car the maker has ever made.... with the latest engine and brakes, etc...
weld up a frame, drop in the greasy bits, pop a carbon body on... badda bing.

i'd get this in a flash.

david
02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
i'm being random but...
you know.. i don't understand why you can't walk into a showroom and order any car the maker has ever made.... with the latest engine and brakes, etc...

i'd get this in a flash.

yes. that would be hard to beat.

as for the original vehicle -
mark spitz, maybe.
but it might tilt a bit too much this way...

TimD
02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
You like it because it has hips. Do you like a 68' Camaro too? Do you find yourself wanting to hump a Coke bottle?

Hips? You want hips? The one on the right, with the Coke bottle shape, definitely has hips, even if you cannot tell from this shot!

Trivia - name the driver of the car on the left

ti_boi
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Swoop is getting all Richard Prince on us..........!

swoop
02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
exactly (prince).

roman meal
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Jamie Farr has your Rolls Royce steed.

chuckroast
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Art Arfons?

MarleyMon
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
overcompensation, maybe?
(hey, you asked :rolleyes: )

swoop
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
overcompensation, maybe?
(hey, you asked :rolleyes: )

so cruel.

Fixed
02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.hazzardnet.com/
cheers

huey
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
i love swoop!!! there i've finally said it.

TimD
02-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Art Arfons?

Close, that's his brother Walt in the middle, but he wasn't driving AFAIK.

Sandy
02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
i'm being random but...

i'd get this in a flash.

I owned a 1974 2002tii. A wonderful car. Lots of fun. In 1980, I decided to get a new car- a new BMW hopefully. As I recall the new model at the time was the 320i. I test rode the 320i and did not like it at all. It seemed so inferior to my tii. I paid about $6,000-$7,000 for my 1974 tii- Don't remember precisely what. I do remember that the 320i was literally twice the cost. So after determining that the newer car was not as nice as the older car and costing twice as much, I bought a 1980 Saab turbo. Liked that car too, but not like the BMW. Many too many mechanical problems.

The Saab was the only non-German car that I have had for years-

1967 Opel Ralley- Loved that car. When it started in the rain.
1974 BMW 2002tii
1980 Saab Turbo
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944 S2
1997 BMW M3
2008 Porsche Cayman S

Guess that I like German cars. The 944 Porsches were really well balanced cars with 50/50 weight distribution, wonderful neutral handling, and an amazing amount of storage ability, but little back seat room. The BMW M3 is easily the best car that I had ever had (still have-was going to trade it in for my new car, but decided to keep it, at least temporarily- glad that I did as I adopted a dog and my new car is a mid-engined 2 seater wtih limited storage (does have 2 trunks and I can transport my bike car). The BMW has it all, even compared to newer cars- Truly awesome braking, superior handling, precise and smooth shifting, wonderful firm steering (much better than the newer BMWs that I have tried) with great road feel, room for little people in the rear seats, and very reasonable storage capability. With the rear seats down, I can easily put my bike in if Itake off both wheels. The Cayman S is another creature, at a handling level simply way beyond all the cars that I have had. Way beyond my capabilities (as is the M3, and even the 944 BMWs).

The Caman S simply takes it all to a different level- Giving amazingly predictable handling with tremendous control and a feeling of driver involvement in the process. Superb steering (better than anything that I have driven), very precise 6 speed shifting, and solid firm stable braking. You mentioned a Lotus in your first post. From my understanding awesome handling, fast, lightweight cars which are great fun to drive, but lacking in interior comfort for sure. World class handling but lacking in everyday driving needs. The Cayman S has all of that.

Sandy

saab2000
02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I want to drive the Cayman S!!! But will King let me get close to it? Or does he guard that too! :D

TravisEvans
02-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey Sandy,

This spring you'll have to come out to Friday at the track w/ my brother and I. I think I told you about his '93 911 RS America. It's amazing what those cars are designed to do!

Travis

TravisEvans
02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Video from my one of my bro's track runs at Summit Point, WV:

http://members.rennlist.com/forklift/SPR%20111.07123.wmv

Sandy
02-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Many dogs are resource guarders. They may guard their food or their toys or a favorite spot they like in the house. They sometimes act very aggressively in guarding such. King is a pit bull and he could do significant damage ( as could most dogs) to someone if he aggressively guarded his resources. Fortunately, he does not. He will let you take a toy from him if he is playing with it and you may take his food away from him if he is eating it. He is exceptionally careful when he and I are paying with his Kong hard rubber toy. Not a lot of room for me to hold onto it and him simultaneously but he simply is very careful in placing his teeth on it, as we play, so that he does not grab me in error.

My bengal tiger guards my CaymanS!! :)

If you are in the DC area, you are welcome to drive my car. Use it for a day. The tiger used to accompany all drivers but he no longer fits in the car.....but the King Cobra does....right behind the driver on the engine cover (mid-engined car). :rolleyes: :)

Siberian Sandy

catulle
02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.mercedes-benz-oldtimerservice.com/content/classic/retailer/classiccenter/en/home/home.html

Dave B
02-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Sandy I still want your M3.
Loved those cars for as long as I can remember!

Grant McLean
02-08-2008, 08:29 AM
i got you beat! my dad designed for eames in 60-63. he did the airport seating, some stuff for mathematica, and you know ..charles and ray were generous with product and one offs.

http://www.dwr.com/display.do?ruleID=100500&utm_content=dwr-kithaus-080208&utm_campaign=History%2FEducation&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

-g

Too Tall
02-08-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.dwr.com/display.do?ruleID=100500&utm_content=dwr-kithaus-080208&utm_campaign=History%2FEducation&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

-g
Good call. Maybe I'm missing a neuron but I think , of all places, Target used to sell something comparable...not kidding...it was nice. Me dear old mom's and dad's were modernists who commisioned a house and builtin's The family abode was very interesting for it's times: 10" balloon framing lots of insulation, composite (forever) roof, casements that cross ventilated the house (no ac) and clever shading / louvers that let winter light in and blocked summer sun, redwood siding, china storage hung overhead from the beams blah blah blah. Love that stuff.

Oh, Sandy....if I could fit behind the wheel I'd drive you and your dog and my dog to the dog parking lot of fun.

jchasse
02-08-2008, 09:46 AM
The Saab was the only non-German car that I have had for years-

1967 Opel Ralley- Loved that car. When it started in the rain.
1974 BMW 2002tii
1980 Saab Turbo
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944 S2
1997 BMW M3
2008 Porsche Cayman S

Sandy

Have you ever done any CVR, Hudson Valley or Metro PCA events?

grateful
02-08-2008, 03:29 PM
http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/562912798.html

72gmc
02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I love the kit house stuff. Sunset Mag advertised a "Breeze House" a few years back that was a modular, two-part structure with a breezeway. I want a house like that, with a metal roof (better fire resistance) next to a river in the woods.

More, please.

SPOKE
02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
i've always owned gay-vague (thats silly-talk for well designed) euro cars like my current audi a3 and my last audi tt which came after a few vw gti's. ...
i secretly want a lotus to burn around the canyons in but i'm a one car guy and my baby needs to fit on board (the bike).

is there some sort of mark spitz like animal awakening in me?
does this mean i'll start watching the original star trek?

what to do? is this my midlife x-is? who knew...

i like it too!! i'd just make sure to do something different with the wheels and tires. they just don't work with the rest of the car. :beer:

flux
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Swoop,

2002 GTI VR6
19?? Scirocco 2.0 Conversion 16V
2001? BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
2001 BMW 330ci Sports PCKG
2006 BMW 330I Sports PCKG (current whip-yo)

Let's do lunchmo.

Ahneida Ride
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I once had the opportunity to drive a race prepared Lotus.

It's owner gave me the keys and said go have fun ....

I could not fit into it. !!!! :crap:

I will never live that down. :crap:

whitecda
02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I once had the opportunity to drive a race prepared Lotus.

It's owner gave me the keys and said go have fun ....

I could not fit into it. !!!! :crap:

I will never live that down. :crap:

I feel your pain, AR.....

Went to some friends for dinner a few yrs ago. They just got an early Z3 convertible. Was pretty excited when they said, "go knock yourself out". I felt really stupid looking OVER the top of the windshield. Came back with bugs stuck on my glasses. I tried to scrunch, but I guess they don't build stuff fer us! :rolleyes: Custom bikes=good thing!

swoop
02-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Swoop,

2002 GTI VR6
19?? Scirocco 2.0 Conversion 16V
2001? BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
2001 BMW 330ci Sports PCKG
2006 BMW 330I Sports PCKG (current whip-yo)

Let's do lunchmo.

nice!