PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel clicking

eddief
02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a relatively new Mavic Open Pro rim laced to an oldish DA hub. This was built up for me by a shop after my taco accident on my Giant.

I was getting an intermit click while riding and could not figure it out. Today I substituted another set of wheels one at a time. With a different front wheel the click dissappeared.

Is it likely to be loose spoke(s) or could it be the dreaded Open Pro clicking spoken of many moons ago?

I have yet to sit it down in the truing stand with me and a spoke wrench.

swoop
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
my vote is the skewer.

Grant McLean
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Remove the clothespin and hockey card from spokes?

-g

:)

eddief
02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
are you funning with me, or have you really had click noise come from a bad? skewer?

swoop
02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
are you funning with me, or have you really had click noise come from a bad? skewer?

its the okham's razor of answers.
and no, i wouldn't kid you about it.

thejen12
02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Make sure it's not your computer magent passing the sensor, sometimes they seem especially loud for a while, then later they don't. :rolleyes:

Jenn

justinf
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Valve stem click drive me frickin batty. Especially on carbon deep dishes, but still.

Bud_E
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Make sure it's not your computer magent passing the sensor, sometimes they seem especially loud for a while, then later they don't. :rolleyes:

Jenn

+1

DarrenCT
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
ebay the bike and get a new one?

DarrenCT
02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
on a serious note....

i'd also check the skewer

also: thankfully its the front wheel. should be an easy fix.

good luck bro

SayHey
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
my vote is the skewer.+1

I had a clicking sound coming from my front end and it drove me nuts. Thought it was the headset, then bearings. Turned out it was the skewer. Try tightening the skewer and see if it goes away. I allso put a light dab of grease where the skewer touches the fork. Good luck.

Bud_E
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Drop of oil where the spokes cross ?

morty
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I had noises like that on some Open Pro wheels I built. The rivets in the spoke holes were breaking. Eventually, one or two of them broke completely off and became loose washers sliding up and down the spokes. After replacing 3 rear rims, I switched to Ritchey OCR's - no further problems.
Another obscure cause of such noises can be the long valve stems: They rock back and forth in the hole as the wheel rotates. For some reason, you can never duplicate this problem on a stand. Weird...

Richard

pdmtong
02-07-2008, 11:47 PM
for me, it was an isue of spoke tension....re-did it and no more clicking

thwart
02-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Some Open Pro's were prone to the clicking thing...

Knock on wood, the ones I have are quiet---so far.

If the other remedies outlined above fail, I bet it's the rim. :crap:
Hope I'm wrong.

rustychisel
02-08-2008, 12:27 AM
that's Occam, but whatever...

OpenPro 'tic', skewer, or dab of grease on the axle stubs... is my 3 guesses

Firenze
02-08-2008, 12:36 AM
I had the same problem with an open pro on an ultegra hub. It was the rim itself (at the seam) and my lbs got me a replacement at no cost. Mavic shipped a new wheel to him before he returned the old one so I had no down time. Hope this helps.
Arch

swoop
02-08-2008, 02:28 AM
that's Occam, but whatever...

OpenPro 'tic', skewer, or dab of grease on the axle stubs... is my 3 guesses

u are correct and i appreciate it... i couldn't remember. frankly, i never heard of the dude until that jody foster 'contact' movie....

wasfast
02-08-2008, 06:50 AM
You've gotten the most likely causes:
1) Skewer (happens alot more than you'd think
2) Valve stem (not as likely on aluminum rims with clinchers)
3) Computer magnet (would be intermittent if the wheel flexes enough when out of the saddle to hit).

I've stopped the OP click by drilling a small hole in the rim (where the rim tape covers the rim) and putting some super glue in to hold the internal piece still. Much easier than trying to find a "good" rim. Even then, the click can happen at a later date.

eddief
02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
a number of loose nipples...so to speak.

pddebacker
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I had what I thought was a hub/spoke issue.

It turned out to be the carbon steerer starting to separate from
the fork. Luckily it was discovered before there was a catastrophe.
It had been making that noise for at least 6 months and I did quite
few races on it.

I have 2 or 3 teammates that also had the same thing happen.

Mine was a 2004/5 Carbon TCR with stock fork...

Have it checked.