PDA

View Full Version : Entering with a right cross…well, “the” right cross…bike

William
08-19-2004, 06:43 AM
After all of my blathering about the benefits of cycling, one of my students is very interested in getting a ride for cross training. He was thinking about getting a hybrid so he can have the option of riding on or off road. I suggested he might want to think about getting a cyclocross bike instead. Just have two sets of wheels and you’ll be set either way.
What recommendations do all the Serotta forum sisters and brothers have for entry-level Cyclocross bikes? I mentioned to him that Fuji makes a decent starter…after seeing Shinomaster’s ride. I sent him a number of links to some listed on ebay so he could see what was out there.

What say you Serotta-ites?

William :)

Roy E. Munson
08-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Redline - cheap and indestructable!

Bruce K
08-19-2004, 06:54 AM
Redlines are great. The less expensive ones are a little heavy.

Cannondale makes a fairly affordable nice cross bike as does Fuji.

Then there is eBay and bicycle club sites. Clubs that have a strong 'cross element tend to have used cross bikes with good componentry available for short money.

Look at Essex County Velo (ECV - Hamilton, MA), CCB (Marblehead, MA), Boston Road Club, Boston Cross, and your local club sites from RI for possible used bargains.

You might also check out www.cyclocrossworld.com and see if they have any bargains or used bikes available.

Just some ideas,

BK

Ray
08-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I'll put in my periodic plug for the Lemond Poprad. It's probably biased a bit more toward the road than some of the other entry level crossers, but it's great off-road as well. It has a lower bottom bracket than a typical cross bike and I've had a few pedal strikes when the single-track got crazy, but it's never been a problem for me. My 57 has the same wheelbase, chainstay length, and seat tube angle as my favorite sport touring geometry road bike - the only difference is the front end geometry which is slacker to make the ride more stable and better in the rough stuff. This is a fine backup road bike and, if I hadn't already experienced some of the finer things in life, would be a fine main road bike. Off road, it's perfect for dirt roads and mellow single-track, but I've ridden some fairly crazy off-road terrain on it and it felt real good until conditions got truly insane. I'm taking it out to Colorado and Utah for a couple weeks of dirt road touring in a couple of weeks. If poverty ever hit and I could just keep one bike, this would be it.

-Ray

Silverthump
08-19-2004, 08:19 AM
I got a Gunnar Crosshairs last Nov and absolutely love the bike. I have two sets of wheels and feel indestructible when I ride it. It is a great road bike and perfect for bike trails or cyclocross. Make's grandpa feel like a 10 year old kid. The freedom to jump curbs on shoot up a dirt trail.
Love the ride of my Ottrott ST and wouldn't trade it for anything but if I had to have just one bike it would be the Gunnar because it is so versatile and rugged.

SManning
08-19-2004, 08:31 AM
I have a K2 Enemy. It's a little heavy, but the parts mix is wonderful for a sub $1000 cross bike. Ultegra RD, Tiagra FD, 105 Shifters, Avid Shorty brakes and Truvativ Cranks. It has a compact geometry.

I didn't think I'd love the bike, but I actually ride it quite a bit. The ride is very smooth and the bike is quite fast. I used it a lot this spring for road rides when the snow was still melting and there was still lots of salt on the road. I've used it on singletrack, dirt and paved road rides and works very well for each discipline. I've also found that I've been able to incorporate all three in one ride.

The bike wasn't available until December so I haven't gotten to race it on a Cross course. I'm anxious to see how well it works once Cross season starts in a month.

M_A_Martin
08-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Kirk Terraplane!
I use my Kirk a bit more on the dirt than I thought I would. It handles everything very very well. Excellent on the road as well. Probably more than a student would care to spend though.

My friend has a Bianchi Cross Concept that dances on the trails and is a very serviceable road bike as well. I think Bianchi's Volope (sp) would be a similar ride.

zap
08-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Regarding cyclocross bikes, as noted in an earlier post, head angles are slacker. Compared to road bikes, are top tube/reach shorter too?

Roy E. Munson
08-19-2004, 09:24 AM
I think tt's are a tad shorter, and most usually run a shorter stem - a 110.

Ray
08-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Regarding cyclocross bikes, as noted in an earlier post, head angles are slacker. Compared to road bikes, are top tube/reach shorter too?

As noted above, my Poprad has the EXACT same wheelbase, chainstay length, and ST angle as my favorite road bike. The front end is slacker and so the TT is necessarily shorter. But I use a longer stem and have my hands and butt in the exact same positions relative to the BB, front axle, etc. My position is the same and the bike feels remarkably similar on the road, just a bit more deliberate in the handling department. So the TT is shorter, but the reach isn't on my setup.

-Ray

William
08-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Thank you much for all your suggestions. :cool:

I'll need to get him sized and then burst his brain with all the possibilities. :crap: :crap: :crap: :D

William

William
08-19-2004, 04:14 PM
BTW,
My guy lives in the Braintree (Mass) area. Any recommendations on good shops in that area or near by that he can check out?

Thanks again! :cool:

William

Bruce K
08-20-2004, 08:05 AM
William;

I would suggest Wheelworks (Belmont), International (Newton), or Cycle Loft (Burlington). I have to believe they would have a limited number of cross bikes to look at.

Bay Road Bikes in Hamilton is just off Route 1A north of Beverly and is the "home shop" of Cyclocrossworld.com. It would probably take him about 45 mins. - 1 hour to get there. If the owner, Stu Thorne is going to be there it might be worth the trip. The number is (978) 468-1301. I beleive Stu might be there on this coming Sunday afternoon (Sundays end with Labor Day weekend I think) so if he is interested I would suggest he call today or tomorrow to check Stu's schedule.

Stu has 2 or 3 cross bikes on the floor and a bunch of frames on the wall. I believe I saw Empellas and Ridleys and I know he is a Redline dealer as well as Trek and Cannondale. He just got in some brand new Empellas as well.

If this guy is serious about cross this might be worth the drive. Stu keeps the balance of the crossworld inventory at his home just a few miles away.

Good luck,

BK

William
08-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Thank you much BK! :cool:

William