PDA

View Full Version : "You know all Colnago's are made in Taiwan"

Flat Out
02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
So there was a guest on one of our shows today that brought in a $21k wonderbike (MeiVici) for a segment on custom high-end bikes. I heard about it in advance and since I had just finished my show I went up to check it out before the segment started. I got to looking at the bike and introduced myself to the gentleman who owns the company that built the bike. They have three locations in the New york area and are a dealer for Serotta, Seven, Parlee and some others. They built the bike for someone in Europe who's main concern was light weight (it was 13 and change) and who's least concern was, apparently, money. The bike was pretty sweet and I mentioned to him that it actually had some of the same components (Zero G's, Record, Ritchey bar & stem) that I have on my C50. I mentioned that I had considered a Parlee but ultimately went with the C50 because, well, I always wanted a Colnago. At this point he told me that all Colnago's are made in Taiwan. I corrected him to say that a few of the more affordable Colnago's are made in Taiwan but the higher end models are still made in Italy. I'm not sure why I was turned off by this comment but I was. Maybe I thought that he was dissing my rig, I don't know. Maybe I thought he was dissing Taiwan. I made a comment about how I ride rollers and he kinda dissed those too saying that a trainer works much better. Anyway, dude definitely gave me the snobbish vibe. As I walked away I was kinda thinking, "Damn, you can drop 9 large on a bike and there are still people who that ain't good enough for." Good thing he doesn't have to ride it. :)

Viper
02-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Ride a Pinarello atmo. :)

catulle
02-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Please, please don't feel bad. If you do, well, it'd only mean that your IQ is almost as low as his. Think about it. Think what he's getting in real life for $21,000 and what you have. Fools and snobs create distortions in the economy. Gather yourself up, tighten up your pants, look ahead, and move on. After all, I doubt very much that he can ride that bicycle for any longer than a half hour.

R2D2
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Well if he doesn't ride rollers don't get near him if you like to keep your 'Nago intact.
Also you don't have to spend 21 large to get to 13 lbs.
Finally there are a-holes eveywhere. Avoid and do not engage.

I'm sure the Nag looks good eatin' up the miles.

Viper
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Well if he doesn't ride rollers don't get near him if you like to keep your 'Nago intact.

I just wanted to reply to R2D2.

Can you reply with some beeps and a few flashing lights? Do you have my lightsaber in tow? Where is Boba Fett?

R2D2 = :beer: here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtPmPDrWjY

Blue Jays
02-06-2008, 05:45 PM
There is plenty of room for everyone to have their bikes and enjoy 'em.
In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

R2D2
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I just wanted to reply to R2D2.

Can you reply with some beeps and a few flashing lights? Do you have my lightsaber in tow? Where is Boba Fett?

R2D2 = :beer: here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtPmPDrWjY

Good one.
It's actually a play on my initials RDD,II
I'll take a beer.

Flat Out
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Good one.
It's actually a play on my initials RDD,II
I'll take a beer.

I guess these aren't the droids you're looking for, Viper. :)

stevep
02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
a diick is always a diick.

empty barrel makes the most noise.
heard frequently from my father oddly enough.

majorpat
02-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Finally there are a-holes eveywhere. Avoid and do not engage.

I'm sure the Nag looks good eatin' up the miles.

You said it, there are a-holes everywhere...I used to say that society tended to absorb most of them, but now I think the solution is becoming saturated.

Erik.Lazdins
02-06-2008, 06:11 PM
It's his problem.

not yours :beer: :beer:

Viper
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
atmo:

SPOKE
02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
ok.....i'm still waiting for it!!!! :rolleyes:

Ti Designs
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Without a rider a $10,000 bike is no faster than a $600 bike. With a rider it's not all about the bike.

Pete Serotta
02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
the red one 998s will be there next week..... I can hardly wait to ride it :D :D

ok.....i'm still waiting for it!!!! :rolleyes:

Peter P.
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
So there was a guest on one of our shows today that brought in a $21k wonderbike (MeiVici) for a segment on custom high-end bikes. I heard about it in advance and since I had just finished my show I went up to check it out before the segment started. I got to looking at the bike and introduced myself to the gentleman who owns the company that built the bike. They have three locations in the New york area and are a dealer for Serotta, Seven, Parlee and some others. They built the bike for someone in Europe who's main concern was light weight (it was 13 and change) and who's least concern was, apparently, money. The bike was pretty sweet and I mentioned to him that it actually had some of the same components (Zero G's, Record, Ritchey bar & stem) that I have on my C50. I mentioned that I had considered a Parlee but ultimately went with the C50 because, well, I always wanted a Colnago. At this point he told me that all Colnago's are made in Taiwan. I corrected him to say that a few of the more affordable Colnago's are made in Taiwan but the higher end models are still made in Italy. I'm not sure why I was turned off by this comment but I was. Maybe I thought that he was dissing my rig, I don't know. Maybe I thought he was dissing Taiwan. I made a comment about how I ride rollers and he kinda dissed those too saying that a trainer works much better. Anyway, dude definitely gave me the snobbish vibe. As I walked away I was kinda thinking, "Damn, you can drop 9 large on a bike and there are still people who that ain't good enough for." Good thing he doesn't have to ride it. :)

Great story, Flat Out. I have a saying: "Some people have more money than legs." Seems to fit here.

And yeah; the jamoke you met has problems. Boils your blood, doesn't it? I have another saying, "Ride with HATE." Climb on your rollers and bleed the hate for this d%#$ebag out of your pores...Then try to keep your head above the riff-raff that populates this cycling world.

DarrenCT
02-06-2008, 07:33 PM
was this is regards to the signature cycles bike shop?

brians647
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM

+1. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that too!

csm
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
some people are alive because it's illegal to kill them.

kidding. sort of.

RIHans
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
a diick is always a diick.

empty barrel makes the most noise.
heard frequently from my father oddly enough.

I heard that once or twice in my youth. :rolleyes:

Flat Out
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM

PM sent.

chuckroast
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Oh heck, watch e-bay. You could buy the darn thing in a couple of months when he gets tired of it.

ThasFACE
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM

It probably is, but I'm sort of surprised by the story. I've been by their west side location a number of times and they have always been helpful/nice/non-crappy etc.

DarrenCT
02-06-2008, 09:07 PM
It probably is, but I'm sort of surprised by the story. I've been by their west side location a number of times and they have always been helpful/nice/non-crappy etc.

exactly

Paul (the owner) is a cool cat. his staff is top notch and he has cold beer in his stores

they built up my kirk and did a a+ job

confente
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Good rider on cheap bike
Bad rider on cheap bike
Good rider on mega expensive bike
Bad rider on mega expensive bike

Who cares! :no:

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Try to keep in mind that this shop representative--no matter what shop he's from--might actually have believed what he was telling you and meant well though he is, in fact, wrong.

There's a guy who works at a local shop here who seems to rub quite a few people the wrong way. When the name of the shop has come up in conversation, this particular person and perception seems to also come up quite a bit--totally unsolicited. I've consistently found it a bit amazing and puzzling, because when I've dealt with him he's always been nice to me. I took my girlfriend at the time in there last year to look at bikes. He waited on her and when we left she said to me immediately--unsolicited--that she didn't like him. I asked her why and she said she had told him how much she wanted to spend on a road bike--$600--and the first bike he showed her cost double that. She thought it was insulting. I honestly don't think he was trying to insult her. Maybe he was just being a salesman? Maybe he was politely trying to get across to her that $600 isn't going to get her much bike? Maybe it even had something to do with her being in there with me, who he knows to be a cycling enthusiast and Serotta owner? But I stood there while they talked, and he honestly didn't come across as insulting to me.

And what about the "snobbish vibe" the guy you mention was giving off? Something in his style that came across like that? Maybe it was just a matter of differing conversational styles? The books of Deborah Tannen have been really educational to me about this. She is a noted expert in conversational style and how it affects interpersonal communication. She's written books on conversational style between men and women, in the workplace, and other ways. Really interesting reading . . . How you say something can be way more important than the actual content of what was said. How the listener interprets the style, not the content, of what you say based on their frame of life experience reference can also greatly affect the understanding.

BBD

SPOKE
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
the red one 998s will be there next week..... I can hardly wait to ride it :D :D

if you're going to advertise be sure to get the designation correct :crap:
it's a 1098S!!! the old one was the 998S.
yes i am still waiting for the 1098S but that's not really what i was waiting for.
what i was really waiting for was the "outing" of the shop where the dude works. :beer:

1centaur
02-07-2008, 05:07 AM
She's written books on conversational style between men and women, in the workplace, and other ways. Really interesting reading . . . How you say something can be way more important than the actual content of what was said.BBD

No, wait, a CHICK wrote that? :D

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2008, 06:25 AM

. . . but she actually did write the books and they're fascinating reading!

BBD

sspielman
02-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Of course! No MAN is interested in "conversational style" ...to us, conversation is a TOOL...to be used to get a job done when needed....
Now, where is my duct tape?

stevep
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM
perfect line for a guy like that... point at his bike and say...

" i had one of those, it suucked so i traded it for this..."

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Of course! No MAN is interested in "conversational style" ...to us, conversation is a TOOL...to be used to get a job done when needed....

. . . that's one of her main points. Women's conversational style--in general--reflects their world view. A problem can exist and they will get together and talk about it for the sake of the shared communication experience itself. The shared communication does not have to result in solving the problem and is not looked at as a failure if it does not do so.

Men, on the other hand, talk like they look at problems. Every conversation must be productive and every problem must be solved, by God! If it isn't then the shared communication was a failure.

This was one of her main points in why men and women in relationships often don't communicate very well. The woman gains gratification and closeness from the talking itself, while the man doesn't perceive gratification unless the conversation results in some point or resolving some perceived problem.

BBD

Flat Out
02-07-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to: A) My own perception about how he may or may not have felt about 'Nagos which may be due to the fact that he doesn't sell Colnago and therefore doesn't know everything about the brand or where they are made.(though I think I tend to hold my tongue in situations like that) B) He was about to go on live TV and was a little nervous.

I'm sure they build great stuff and I wouldn't steer anyone from working with them just from one conversation about one bike.

Fixed
02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
bro this is what say to cat's like that
Ab asino lanam -

{Wool from an ***, blood from a stone impossible}
cheers imho

Acotts
02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
The only Cat 1 rider I know rides $400 alum frames. In fact, I think he spend more money on seats and bar tape then he does frames. This guy is a rocket.

catulle
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM

You ain't gonna be getting as much as Sinatra, dude. The lady has a point; listen to her and you'll see a bunch of them knocking on your door. Listen to her and conversation will be good for your tool. Just sayin...