PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the new Giro sunglasses?

BdaGhisallo
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try the new Havik cycling sunglasses that Giro is marketing? They look very functional in that they are designed to fit when you are wearing a helmet, so that the ear stems don't interfere with the helmet bits.

What do you think of them if you have tried them? How are the tints? After 15+ years of Oakley, I tend to think of weather in terms of what tint I will use that day (I have a LOT of spare lenses)! I have some Radars and they are great but I find them a REAL pain to get the lens separated from the frame for cleaning. I feel like I am going to break the frames. They are no where near as friendly in that regard as the M frames were.

So what do you think of the Giro shades? Thumbs up? Down?

Thanks,
Geoff

Blue Jays
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/giro/2008/8813_i_1.jpg

BdaGhisallo
02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Yep, those are the ones I was referring to, in one of the color/lens combos that are available.

oldguy00
04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
bump for an old thread.
I tried a pair on tonight at the LBS and they seemed really nice, but I didn't have my helmet there to try with them.
I expected them to be quite wide across the face based on the pictures, but the are actually somewhat narrow, which I liked.

Bill Bove
04-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I use the Semi model and I like them quite a bit, but in the intrest of full disclosure I got them for free from the Giro rep. I probably wouldn't have paid for them as they are not that much better than the Rudys I've beeb wearing for years and I already own a full array of lens' for them.

toaster
04-26-2008, 07:29 AM
A big thumbs up!

I bought the Haviks in a white frame and brown lens and they are great. I've got Rudy Projects in models Kerosene, RB-3's, and Graal Foyl and while they are good they aren't the same as a cycling specific eyewear product.

The Giro's seem to disappear, no weight, nothing blocking my vision. I can get in an aero position on the bike and there's no gap between the top of the Haviks frame and the helmet. Sorry Rudy, only the Kerosene's come close to this feature. Also the Giros allow me to see more area without frame obstruction. Oakleys always broke on me, the frames were stressed by my wide head. The Giros have a Carl Zeiss certification and they seem to be a superior lens optically because of my impression of a better field of view.

I recently replaced all my lenses on my Rudy's with their Rudy Lens Guarantee (RLG) so that I could compare all my previous favorite Rudy's against the Giros in a fair comparison.

Giro Haviks are much nicer.

CarbonCycles
04-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for bringing this thread up. I've been tempted to purchase these, but no one around here has a pair I can try. Zeiss lenses is a bonus (assuming they didn't just slap their name on them); the only negative thing I've heard is that the frame material is possibly too soft (i.e. easily scratched) for right now. Really wish I hadn't had dumped my rudy glasses; some of the best lenses I've used...definitely outperforms the oakleys imo.

oldguy00
04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I bit the bullet and got the white Haviks with the brown lens today, I really like them!

CarbonCycles
05-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Bought the semis today w/ a rose-silver tint...im excited to go try them out on this evenings ride :banana:

Now it's time to pick up a new helmet for the old noggin...been riding an atmos for a while..any recommendations?

dvs cycles
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Bought the semis today w/ a rose-silver tint...im excited to go try them out on this evenings ride :banana:

Now it's time to pick up a new helmet for the old noggin...been riding an atmos for a while..any recommendations?
Ionos. ;)

CarbonCycles
05-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Thought I'd put up a quick and relative review on 3 main makers: Rudy, Oakley and the Giro. I've had experience with all three brands using their rose or red lenses: Racing Red for Rudy, G30 for Oakley and the Rose-tint for Giro.

To begin, the fit and finish on the Giro frames are what you'd expect; nothing to write home about. If anything, I'd say they are at the same level of the Oakley half-jackets. I found the Giro frames had the snuggest fit, especially behind my ear...this is a good thing in that the frames actually stayed put and in an tuck position they didn't leave a gap at the top of the lenses that my half-jackets would sometimes do. I should mention that the Rudy's have a customizable fit in that you can bend the alloy frames to pretty much any shape you need them, which I appreciated when I owned the Rydon and Kerosene frames.

The real difference comes when you actually start evaluating the lenses. IMO, I always considered the Rudy lenses as the standard in that I found Rudy's optics to have little distortion, good contrast and fairly truthful color representation (i.e. green grass looked green rather than some strange color), and I discovered the Oakleys to be the worst at all three. However, on my ride yesterday, the Giro lenses changed all that. The optics are really that good, and I was very pleased to find a pair of lenses that are better and cheaper than the other makers. However, I can't say anything regarding reliability and scratch resistance of Giro yet since they are new to the market; IMO Rudy still has one of the best lens replacement policies out there.

So, in short, try a pair of the Giro, you just might be impressed, and my Oakley half-jackets have now found another use. Hmm, I really don't know why I bought the Oakley...I blame LA for peer-pressuring me. Hopefully YMWV.

0523jk
05-24-2008, 10:25 AM
她超越、升华了自然喷泉、常规常见喷泉,喷泉设备 (http://www.music-water.com/shebei.asp?id=59)是一种全新概念的时尚产品,是科学与技术、美观与实用的高新技术产品知 者乐水、有水则灵,电脑彩色音乐文字喷泉、标志喷泉、喷泉公司 (http://www.music-water.com/pqgs.htm)时钟喷泉是城市的文明产物,可增加空间美感,是美化都市、家居环境的一个重要元素,可鲜 明体现城市的风貌,更加彰显城市人文景观环境。喷泉设备 (http://www.music-water.com/shebei.asp?id=59)电脑彩色音乐文字、标志、时间喷泉公司专利技术所设计实施的喷泉产品与 喷泉工程,除具备良好的观赏性和美化环境外,喷泉设备 (http://www.music-water.com/shebei.asp?id=59)更主要的是能充分表达所要喷泉造型的内涵深刻,为人们提供科技、绿色、 人文的景观环境。项目资本 1、是美化环境、可持续性发展的朝阳产业:美化环境是社会、人们、政界一直关注的重要事情,是?a久的主题 ,如北京奥运会、上海世博会、广州亚运会、喷泉工程 (http://www.music-water.com/gc.asp?id=64)西部大开发等的环境建设,是与时相关、与时俱增的概念性的朝阳项目; 2、多元化的经营模式、多途径的获利方式

John H.
05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Word is the Slipsteam boys are begging to go back to Oakleys.

BdaGhisallo
05-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Would there be a particular reason for their begging, or is it more a general "these are crap" reason?

John H.
05-24-2008, 11:25 AM
General crap plus fogging issues