PDA

View Full Version : OT: Opinions/experiences with 24" Aluminium Imac

paulh
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I know there's a few of you out there. How do you like your "new" computers? Thanks for reading.

DfCas
02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Mine is enroute from Apple,so I'll have it in a few days. It was really hard to click on the "submit order" button.

I've only used PC's,but I have the Little Mac book,so that should help. I couldn't bring myself to buy another windows device.

thwart
02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Good question.

My wife wants one; she's been using a Cube for 6 or 7 years, but needs more graphics power now---and more screen real estate. Also wants to run Windows apps on occasion, so we'll install XP as well.

We've previously upgraded the hard drive and memory (amazing design, has kind of a cult following) but it's time.

Told her I'd sell a bike or two and chip in... ;)

Keeps me off the couch.

sg8357
02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
As an IT semi-pro, I buy the Mac Pros for work, slightly more money,
much longer life span. Meaning lots of room for memory, hard drives,
an extra monitor etc. The Mac pro case would make excellent
occasional table base when you're done with the computer.

At home, I consider computers in the consumable category,
along with paper towels. The less spent on them the better.

Ed Moses
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
My 24" iMac has been in the office for the past six months and I still think it is a great bit of kit - Leopard is nice and stable and running XP under Parallels means that I can get to Windows DRM limited content.

Viper
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
When is '24' coming back on the air? SoCal Steve atmo?

paulh
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Bump?

SoCalSteve
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
When is '24' coming back on the air? SoCal Steve atmo?

Thats a very good question!

Since "24" is based on 24 concurrent episodes and the writers strike came in a very bad "production time" I believe that less than 10 episodes have actually been shot.

So, a few scenarios:

1.) The strike gets settled and "24" goes back into production immediatly and they finish all 24 episodes. Then it airs in 2008. Just so happens if this does come about, I may be working on the show. Long story. Oh, I know for a fact they already have a few episodes written,
so it will come back quickly.

2.) Strike continues and the show gets pulled from the 2007- 2008 season and comes back next season.

Its one of the unfortunate ones as they cannot air individual episodes...

The strike may be over by this weekend. The WGA is meeting in LA and NYC to discuss the new terms with its membership. If the members like what they hear, we will all be going back to work sooner than later.

Yippeee! I will then be able to spend money again on bike related "stuff".

Wish me and my 100,000 (approx) brothers and sister (all who have been unemployed by the WGA strike) luck!

Thanks,

Steve

samcat
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
It's the nuts.

I've had mine, a 20" 2.4 for about 5 months. Love it.

Very fast, stable and flawless, thus far.

I ordered it via 'phone, because I didn't want the hassle of going to the Apple Store but did have a couple of questions. Salesgal was terrific.

Shipment arrived from China within a week. Amazing.

Packaging was perfect. Setup and transfer from my existing G5 was a snap.

Also am using .Mac for remote email, etc. Neat.

My spouse is also using it for non-work stuff. She's thrilled at the upgrades to IPhoto. She's also using .Mac for photo storage album.

Couldn't be happier.

PH

thwart
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
How about that shiny, glass screen?

Is the reflections problem much of an issue, now that you've had one for awhile?

samcat
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Neither has image fall off from the side. I've had folk to either side of me looking at renderings. No problems.

Screen is just to the left of a skylight that spills a huge amount of light over my work surface. Thought that that might be a problem, but it hasn't been one, either.

All in all, I'm delighted...

PH

thwart
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks! That was the only "downside" that I was a little concerned about.

Now to sell some bikes and help my sweetie get her iMac...

sbornia
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I just got a 24" 2.4 the other day, after several months of thinking and waiting to see if a minor refresh would be announced. I was also concerned about the AIO design, glare, and eye fatigue from the very bright screen.

So far, so good. Glare is a non issue -- what you see in the Apple store is unlike the typical home environment. Unless you happen to have lots of fluorescent lights :) In my office with one CFL lamp and a desk lamp, I don't notice the glare unless the screen is dark. When I'm surfing, emailing, or working in Office or design apps, I don't notice any glare.

Screen brightness, on the other hand, is TBD. This thing is REALLY bright compared to my older acrylic Cinema Display. I have the brightness turned down all the way, and it's still plenty lit up. Not sure how my eyes will react to working on it 8+ hours a day.

Best thing so far is the speed. FAST. Let me say it again. FAST. I'm coming off a 1.42 Mini and a 1.25 PB, so it's no comparison, really. Today I got my 4GB of RAM from OWC, and now the iMac is even more responsive. I had Word, Excel, PP, DW, PS, Mail, and Safari all running at the same time, and the machine didn't hiccup for a second. This was my goal, and I'm very pleased.