PDA

View Full Version : Observations on new Legend

CNY rider
08-18-2004, 08:19 PM
I picked up my new Ti legend today. It's spectacular eye candy (pix in the gallery). A few observations on my first ride are below. Important to note that the Legend replaces my 1991 aluminum Trek. I'm a 145 pound recreational cyclist; ride roughly 2000 miles a year and live in a very hilly area.

1. The front end of this bike is a lot "quicker" than my old Trek. I really had to pay attention, and wasn't comfortable with one hand off the bar to eat and drink until I rode about 15 miles.

2. The ride is extremely responsive to my power input but there's a distinctly different road feel. My butt seems to take much less of a beating on the Legend.

3. It's going to take while to get used to the integrated shift levers. I keep reaching for the downtube. Already shifted once when trying to brake only, which was a little disconcerting. I also have small hands for a man, and if the reach to shift and brake was any further I would have a problem. Anyone use more compact shift/brake equipment??

4. New Specialized wireless pro comp with altitude is a lot of fun!

va rider
08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Central NY-

Congrats! There are few feelings like that first ride on a new Serotta. You will get used to the STI brifters and you will never go back.

Best wishes for many miles, good weather and the wind at your back...

- va.h

Johny
08-18-2004, 09:26 PM
I also have small hands for a man, and if the reach to shift and brake was any further I would have a problem. Anyone use more compact shift/brake equipment?

Congratulations! Very nice bike!

I also have very small hands. You may try a traditional bend road bar like this one:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=92&subcategory=1050&brand=&sku=11022&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Dekonick
08-18-2004, 09:47 PM
IF the braking / shifting is an issue, you can change to Campy.

shaq-d
08-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I3. It's going to take while to get used to the integrated shift levers. I keep reaching for the downtube. Already shifted once when trying to brake only, which was a little disconcerting. I also have small hands for a man, and if the reach to shift and brake was any further I would have a problem. Anyone use more compact shift/brake equipment??

yes, echoing the campy sentiment! better for small hands (at 6'1, i'd say i have "normal" hands, and i still like the campy), and in addition, the brake lever is stiff and won't move side-to-side like the shimano brakes.

sd

scooter01
08-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Congradulations!

i too am a new Legand Ti owner, replacing a 15 year old Fiorelli.
After riding the Serotta, its is hard to even looka t anyhting else! One thing that I have done is to move the front derailer shifter back th the down tube.
that may be an idea for you.

davep
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Shimano makes a short reach Ultegra brifter. Maybe your LBS will switch it our for you to try.

jeffg
08-19-2004, 10:54 AM
CNY --

I also have small hands, and I use Deda 215 shallow bars with Shimano on my Legend and it is perfect even with my relatively long TT (57cm for 5'9").

IMHO, it is every bit as good if not better than my Campy setup with Ritchey WCS classic bars.

Congrats on your new ride!

das
08-28-2004, 06:29 PM
My wife has very small hands. When positioning the levers on the bar we put them on a section of the bar radius that moves the ends of the lever closer to the bar. We also have the bottom of the drops pointing down at about 15 degrees from level so that the levers are in a comfortable position. She has a Salsa Poco bar that is designed for smaller hands and has variable radius bend where the levers are mounted, this is specifically designed to allow adjustability of the brake lever reach. With this setup she has no problems using Dura-Ace 10 speed STI levers. I would imagine that whatever levers you have they can be positioned on your bar so that you can feel confident and in control.

flydhest
08-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I second the rec of Salsa Pocos (Cap'n Smiley, thanks for the heads up). They do wonders for people with smaller hands.

M_A_Martin
08-29-2004, 09:22 PM
I have two sets of the Salsa Pocos with campy. The Poco's are good bars for the reach issue, but I find that I'm not totally fond of their ergo shape. There are spots my hands don't fit where I'd like them to for certain positions I get into.