PDA

View Full Version : Why is NBC showing WHITEWATER RAFTING!! #*#&@@#&!!!

Elefantino
08-18-2004, 07:45 PM
I don't understand. I just don't understand.

And OLN tells us all to blow chunks on the Vuelta.

Oh well. At least there's Six Gap to work out the frustration. :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
08-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I agree . . . They had all of about five minutes of the time trial and then Bob Costas told us to tune in “later tonight” for extended coverage of the men’s time trial. No mention and no tape of the women’s.

Best day for Olympics US cycling in 20 years and they give it FIVE minutes.

Yes, someone PLEASE explain! :butt: :butt: :butt: :butt: :butt:

BBDave

dirtdigger88
08-18-2004, 09:26 PM
when is the table tennis finals, I can't miss those :p

jason

Dekonick
08-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Dont forget about Celebrity poker! - and my favorite - Curling!

mmm Handball anyone?
How about badmiton? (spelling?)
Syncronized swimming anyone?
" """ """ diving? ***?
Speed walking????

Whats next - darts and chess?

I never knew that there were more handball players than cyclists in the USA!! :no:

Sick eh? :crap:

csb
08-18-2004, 09:50 PM
sincrowniced'spelin

e-RICHIE
08-18-2004, 09:51 PM
i don't get the swimming thang. if the idea is to get to the other end and back a few times, why can't the racers just cut loose and give it their best "go-baby" shot at it?! they don't tell edwin moses to run backwards around the track jumping the hurdles while looking through a rear view mirror. so - later for the backstroke - cuz i'm not gettin' swimming "that way". do they have the 440 meter guys prance around like aging catapillers? NO! the gun goes off and the runners bolt. period. so - later for the butterfly. you see where i'm going with this??? heck, if i could see carl lewis in the 100 convulsing like a guy without fingers trying to scratch an itch, only then would i not turn away during the, er, breaststroke "competition".

i say, no matter what, when the gun goes off, the swimmers should use whatever is in their arsenal to get the laps completed. that's racing.

and wassup with that syncronized diving? let them throw matching javelins...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

csb
08-18-2004, 10:02 PM
simultaneousgirlsbikiniwedgiepickingwithball+sand

Russ
08-18-2004, 10:45 PM
i don't get the swimming thang....
And the funny thing is that they cover the heats, the semi-finals, the finals, the after finals and the stories about the top athletes!!!!

Russ
08-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Best day for Olympics US cycling in 20 years and they give it FIVE minutes...
One thing I found weird was Tyler's dedication of his medal.... "this one is for my dog... he is my best friend..."

C'mon Tyler!!! Wasn't your wife there watching?

No wonder they cover White Water rafting and swimming more often!

Needs Help
08-19-2004, 03:14 AM
Syncronized swimming anyone?
" """ """ diving? ***?
lol

One thing I found weird was Tyler's dedication of his medal.... "this one is for my dog... he is my best friend..."

C'mon Tyler!!! Wasn't your wife there watching?

He said the same thing during the Tour and in the article about his dog dying. Apparently, he had his dog before he met his wife, and she must be aware of her runner up status in the friendship department.

Tom
08-19-2004, 05:15 AM
I had the impression that the Olympics started as the War Sports... how far away was somebody when you could hit them with a rock or a spear, how fast could you run them down, wrestle them to the ground and pound them with your fists, how wide a moat could you jump over, how high a wall could you jump over, how far could you run when you were running away from somebody....

now we jump into a pool at the same time. I'm glad somebody does it but it's not for me.

Anybody hear the quote on NPR from the shot putter competing at Olympia? I can't remember it exactly, but after he failed to qualify for the finals he was asked what it was like to compete there. He said a couple of things and then said something about the angle of the sun, the trees, the horizon and how it was what they saw thousands of years ago. He said it was the greatest honor to be allowed to compete there.

Korn Julio
08-19-2004, 06:25 AM
BBD: I agree the miniscule amount of time spent on the coverage of the men's TT, along with the non-existent covereage of the women's TT --- both of which NBC forsake to give 20 or so minutes of coverage to white water rafting? (congrats to the American woman's bronze medal performance by the way :banana: ) .....and I'm like, ***??

I hate to say this, but the swimming coverage is waaaaaay overboard. I guess if Phelps or Thorpe is in it, they're gonna broadcast it. I mean women's swimming isn't worth watching anymore what with all those full coverage bodysuits they're wearing) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

But PRAISE THE MAKER for women's beach volleyball!! :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
I mean, don't you guys just love the way the players signal their plays to each other??

Roy E. Munson
08-19-2004, 06:40 AM
I'd rather watch rythmic gymnastics than an ITT, personally.
I suspect there are tens of thousands of people sitting around their tv watching that ITT wondering why some emaciated little wimp is riding around by himself in a one piece bodysuit that wouldn't look out of place at fetish night at the Ramrod Bar and Grill. :p

Dekonick
08-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Womens volleyball is worth it! - dat's a keeper.

I was thinking of other sports NBC would probably broadcast over cycling... here they are -

-Championship marbles

-monopoly (with Trump as the host)

-cooking

-potato sack race

-Lawn tractor rac'n :D

:butt: NBC :butt:

Ozz
08-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Ease up guys!

We get a whole month of "nuthing but cycling - 24/7" on OLN and you're complaining because some other obscure sports get a piece of the spotlight?

That is what I love about the olympics! Show me the sports I NEVER get to see on TV. I want to see fencing, water polo, team handball, badminton, and yes, even table tennis.

The world of sports is bigger than those with two wheels guys. Those athletes work just as hard and with greater anonymity Tyler, Eki, and the rest of the cyclists. And for a lot less money...if any.

This is their time to be recognized.

OT - I still don't understand sporting events where the athlete is judged on "artistic merit"???? (rhythmic gymnastics, floor gymnastics, figure skating, etc). BTW - the eye make-up on our women's gymnastic team makes them look like cheap hookers. Someone needs to get a sense of style :no:

Jeff Weir
08-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Ozz...well said.

As a father of two kids that are competitive swimmers, I can appreciate what ALL of the atheletes go through to make it to the Olympics. Many of them have been trianing huge hours for the better part of their life to qualify for the team....not to mention the others who miss qualifying by a fraction of a second or point. I thnk it's wonderful that we have the opportunity to see what some of these people can do, not only in the mainstream sports, but in the fringe sports as well. I get a chill everytime one of our atheletes wins a medal, whether it be in cycling, gymnastics, volley ball, white water rafting..whatever.

csb
08-19-2004, 09:14 AM
ok, ok you win, but cheap hookers need their warholing fame too,
now if the volleyballgirlsworemakeup-ouch

Bruce K
08-19-2004, 09:21 AM
The women's TT was apparently shown on one of the affiliated networks earlier in the day (according to my wife).

I enjoy seeing some of the other sports we don't get to see. As a former fencer, it's rather cool to finally see some on TV.

The women's cycling road race got full length live coverage. How can we complain about that?

I'm betting we'll see some track cycling when it gets going.

They have shown swimming races without ANY Americans (the horror!)

At least they are showing more sports/action and less "fluff"/filler stuff like previous Olympics.

Beach volleyball :banana:

Gymnasts make-up, it seems to be the style. Most of the women seem to be wearing the sparkly stuff. I guess they think it's theatrical or something.

BK

Fuzzybird
08-19-2004, 09:44 AM
I Tivo'ed the "later" coverage that Bob Costas said would have more men's ITT action. I fast forwarded through the whole thing this morning, NO COVERAGE AT ALL. Just more gymnastics and women’s volleyball, which I don't mind at all but I would have liked to seen some of the ITT.

The Today show had Tyler, Bobbie and Dede on this morning, they got Dede's name wrong and said she was a softball player. They did show a clip of the races and I did hear Paul Sherwin's voice in the background. Maybe someone will air it later with Phil and Paul.

KKevin
08-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Id have to agree that I would usually not save an ITT if I was taping the TDF , but COME ON they only had 6 minutes of coverage for a sport where we got two medals. I know they gave womens fencing more time than that for their gold bronze accomplisments.

tdf7
08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Maybe they are showing what appeals to what their target audience finds more exciting/interesting to watch, which in turn makes NBC more $$$$

Jollymon
08-19-2004, 10:41 AM
IMHO, I think NBC should show the medal rounds only...I mean, really, I know there are lots of international people on the forum, and I certainly wouldn't want to offend a fellow Serottian, but do we REALLY give a rat crap about the swimming team from Uzgermstaintonfielddalevile? Narrow the field down a little before you show it to us. I see the value in all of these sports, even Badminton...the "shuttlecock" (can we find a new name for this piece of equipment, please?) travels at 200+mph. Those gymnasts are about as ripped as anyone and can still point their toes and raise their arms like their reaching for a purse on the top shelf. Volleyball? One of my favorite sports to play, on the beach or on the court. I love it. Basketball...well, you can watch it and get some great tattoo ideas form Iverson...or play felony bingo, but come on...it's been FIVE DAYS! :crap:

If we only saw heats, rounds, games, sets, matches, throws, tournaments, exercises, trials etc. that produced some ore, NBC could show A LOT more of the other sports. Oh and another thing. Instead of showing that drowned rat, Katie Couric, giver her a week off and show more competition, just please not swimming...I seriuosly feel waterlogged!

I was so pissed last night that I had to take a double-dose of Melatonin, just so I could sleep. My office in my house is about as far away from my bedroom as anywhere. No joke...my wife came in and told me that the ITT was on, and by the time I got to the room, Tyler was making out with Haven and Skeletor was hugging his kid! I was livid! I saw NONE of it...not a single pedal stroke. I didn't see Eki at all. This from the station that shows people gagging down raw pig guts, while digging through a waterfilled dumpster with their hands and feet tied together!

I wonder how much more attention the races would have gotten had Lance been there. Not that I think he should have been, but I am sure we would have heard alot from Phil and Paul if Mr. Sheryl Crowe was saddled up! I weep for the post-Lance future of cycling in this country.

OK, I'll get off my soap box. Man, that was a long post... :crap: