PDA

View Full Version : Selling Advice

JonathanB
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I am selling a Seven bike that I purchased used and built up. It is a great bike, but doesn't fit, hence the sale. My question for people who have sold bikes is: will I do better selling a frameset and then selling the parts separately or a fully set up bike? The parts are ultegra, old but working, 9 speed. Suggestions welcome before I ebay this bike. Thanks, Jonathan

Pete Serotta
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I would say to break it up (can you use the components on your other "ride
"?.)

If they are not of use to you, then sell the components here and also the frame. (Road Bike Review is another site that I have had luck with in regard to frame.)

Good luck,,,,,

Dan Le foot
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I am selling a Seven bike that I purchased used and built up. It is a great bike, but doesn't fit, hence the sale. My question for people who have sold bikes is: will I do better selling a frameset and then selling the parts separately or a fully set up bike? The parts are ultegra, old but working, 9 speed. Suggestions welcome before I ebay this bike. Thanks, Jonathan

Sell frameset separately.
The Ultergra 9 is worth more than what you will get as part of a complete bike. IMO.
Use the Ulterga stuff on your next frameset.
Dan

DarrenCT
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
if u have the time and patience sell everything separately

ps: its a pain in the *** to box and ship all that stuff

JonathanB
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
This is really helpful (and quick responses!), confirms what I thought. I am happy with the ultegra 9 stuff, its old but works fine. I'm looking at a bike with new ultegra. I don't need all the bells and whistles, I'm a club rider, not a pro, and would not upgrade components except that I'm purchasing a new frame. That being said, would you swap out the components onto the new frame, or buy a new, complete bike. Suggestions welcome, thanks again, Jonathan

Firenze
02-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Based on what I have been seeing recently both here and on ebay - Take the time to think through your add, which ever way you go on frame vs complete bike. Be as clear and detailed as you can on the condition, sizing, and history of the bike. It appears that those that do those things not only sell their bikes faster but bet better prices as well.

On the frame vs complete bike, I suspect that on this forum at least, unless the components are top notch and the appearance of the bike is very good, the frame only approach would make more sense.
Hope this helps,
Arch

Mikej
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
So what's the skinny on the frame?

Dan Le foot
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
This is really helpful (and quick responses!), confirms what I thought. I am happy with the ultegra 9 stuff, its old but works fine. I'm looking at a bike with new ultegra. I don't need all the bells and whistles, I'm a club rider, not a pro, and would not upgrade components except that I'm purchasing a new frame. That being said, would you swap out the components onto the new frame, or buy a new, complete bike. Suggestions welcome, thanks again, Jonathan

I would get a high end used frame. Fun to shop for these things. You can generally get one at about 50% off new. Many of them are as good as new. Some of the higher end framsets ie Ottrott, Legend ti you can do better than 50% off.
But do your research. Get the build sheet for sure. Make sure the Custom bike hasn't been over customized for you.
Good luck.
Dan

AgilisMerlin
02-05-2008, 04:14 PM
LIKE THIS..........TAKE VERY NICE PICTURES................
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRAME-AND-FORK-COLNAGO-MASTER-NEW_W0QQitemZ260209557591QQihZ016QQcategoryZ56197Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

capybaras
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I'll give you 50¢ for your advice

AgilisMerlin
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
i usually take .02

capybaras
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
i usually take .02
pm sent! :banana: that's 25 times the advice! :banana: :banana: