PDA

View Full Version : What level Campy for my IF?

CaptStash
02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I am building-up an IF Crown Jewel that I got from and friend and fellow Serotta Forum member and have made the mental commitment to go with Campy over Shimano. I have a few other bikes with various levels of DA on them which I am quite happy with, but the IF somehow seemed to be screaming Campy at me. Now...I have no experience with Campy at all. Centaur is right in the sweet spot of my budget. I am leaning towards a compact crank as well and am looking at one on eBay right now.

So my question to the good and experienced as well as fabulously opinionated forumites amongst you, what do you think of the Centaur level Campy gear? Will I be happy when I get off my DA bike and on to a Centaur equipped bike? Anything else I should know or you suggest?

CaptStash....

PS: I got a set of Campy Eurus wheels so I am pretty much committed now!

Blue Jays
02-05-2008, 12:08 AM
You could stretch your budget a tad, satisfy your promise, and opt for Chorus to put your mind at ease.

shinomaster
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
www.probikekit.com Chorus levers and the rest can be centaur....It will be great!

3chordwonder
02-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Stretch the budget sweet spot (if possible, of course) to Chorus so you can ride your bike contentedly for years to come without ever feeling the 'need' to upgrade. imho.

Steve Hampsten
02-05-2008, 01:24 AM
chorus (or sram) shifters is what i would do

shimano cranks

thwart
02-05-2008, 02:01 AM
If you already have Eurus wheels, I guess that rules out Mirage... :D

Seriously, the Centaur stuff is very, very good---equal to Ultegra (at least). And if you like the alloy crank look, that gruppo is the way to go in the Campy '07-'08 stuff.

As someone coming from the dark side, you won't really miss the ability to move up 3 or 4 gears with one shift as you could with the pre-'07 Centaur shifters. As someone has said, they "Shimano-ized" the shifting in 2007. Lighter touch too---again very much like Shimano.

97CSI
02-05-2008, 05:03 AM
The biggest diff between Centaur and the Chorus/Record level, other than weight, is that the Ergo levers pivot on bushings in Centaur and below and ball-bearings in Chorus/Record. IIRC, the same is true of the brake calipers, but my memory is fuzzing on the brakes. Functionally, I've never detected the difference in actual use. Campagnolo recommends an Ergo rebuild every 10-12K miles with Centaur and twice that for the Chorus/Record. Am in agreement with the above. Get Chorus levers to ease your mind, with the balance being Centaur. At least that's what I've done with my '87 Paramount & '98 CSI.

soulspinner
02-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Stretch the budget sweet spot (if possible, of course) to Chorus so you can ride your bike contentedly for years to come without ever feeling the 'need' to upgrade. imho.

+1- I got Chorus and I ride with a guy who has Record on his CT-2 but when I rode his bike I couldnt tell the diff. I like being able to dump the cassette comin off the hills.

toaster
02-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Chorus.

weiwentg
02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Centaur will do you just fine.

but this is America. we always get *&!$ we want but don't need. get the Chorus and you will be truly happy.

justinf
02-05-2008, 06:21 AM
The shifting in the new Centaur group bothered me before I built up a bike with Dura Ace, and now it seems fairly normal. Still, I find myself happier when I'm on a bike with Chorus or Record and can dump the cassette.

Other than that, I don't think you'll feel much difference between Centaur and Chorus or Record. It's not a factor when I'm choosing a bike to ride.

dookie
02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
who had the $1k chorus build kit recently? if that deal is still on, it's a no-brainer. if not, i'll repeat what has already been said...centaur is fine stuff across the board, no reason not to. but go for chorus ergos for the multi-gear shifts.

paczki
02-05-2008, 08:03 AM
I have Centaur with the alloy crank and Chorus shifters. Seems pretty perfect to me.

Chris
02-05-2008, 08:06 AM
who had the $1k chorus build kit recently? if that deal is still on, it's a no-brainer. if not, i'll repeat what has already been said...centaur is fine stuff across the board, no reason not to. but go for chorus ergos for the multi-gear shifts.

Competitive Cyclist

MilanoTom
02-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Chorus shifters (based on the ability to "dump" the cassette, as noted above), Centaur for everything else.

Personally, I can't turn down some of the deals that have been around lately (non-skeleton Record and Chorus brakes, square taper carbon cranksets), so I end up with mixed groups from different years, and it suits me fine.

Regards,
Tom

CaptStash
02-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Great feedback and help guys. I scored some carbon Record shifters for under $200 as well as Chorus brakes for $50. so far so good. Will I notice any difference between Chorus and Record in the RD? I plan on going with a Centaur carbon crank if I can get a reasonable deal and a Chorus FD.

Also...tell me about cassettes. The Campy cassettes are surprisingly pricy so I am leaning towards a Centaur Cassette.

This isn't a weight weenie build (I already have one of those) so I am more concerned about quality, durability and smooth shifting. This bike is planned to be my flat fun century bike, rather than the bike I would ride on hilly push till you puke gotta' catch that guy in front of me type rides.

CaptStash....

davyt
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I've found the ability to dump gears most useful in the hills when spinning up at the bottom and when cresting the top. If your routes are mostly flat, I'd go with all Centaur and a standard crank. If you're a strong climber, I'd go with Centaur, Chorus shifters and a standard crank. If you climb as well as I do, go with Chorus shifters, a compact crank and a JATO pack...
--
Davy

thwart
02-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Cassettes... rotating weight, but close to the axle. The higher level Campy (like Shimano) has the larger cogs mounted on alloy carriers for greater rigidity. Maybe a noticeable difference if you put out lots of watts, or weigh over 200.

I recently weighed a 2007 Chorus 10 speed 12-25 cassette I had sold to a fellow Forumite versus a wall-climbing "custom" 9 speed 12-29 cassette I had built from loose Veloce level cogs and spacers... the difference was less than 70 grams.

Big whoop.

As I mentioned earlier with the Eurus wheels, I don't think you can go Veloce cogs with those Record shifters (although who would know but you and me... :D ), but Centaur level should work well for you, I would think.

97CSI
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Read somewhere that anything below Centaur is stamped and not machined so doesn't work quite as well. That includes cogs and chainrings. However, I find that the Veloce 10-speed chain works as well as Record and costs considerably less.

93LegendTG
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Campy 10s Cassettes:
Veloce: all loose cassettes
Centaur: two largest cogs are on a carrier
Chorus: additional carriers to save weight
Record: large four cogs are titanium

imho, since the largest cog is offset, I like the idea of having it attached to a carrier as opposed to the Veloce. Best bang for the buck = Centaur. Beyond the issues with shifting re: the current brifters between Chorus and Centaur, the only gains between the groups are with weight. From what you've said, save yourself some money and go with a Veloce FD.

thwart
02-05-2008, 01:46 PM
However, I find that the Veloce 10-speed chain works as well as Record and costs considerably less. Seems true for the cassettes as well, IMHO. I run both.

But... big watts---not from me. :rolleyes: And I weigh around 150 or so.

93LegendTG
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
However, I find that the Veloce 10-speed chain works as well as Record and costs considerably less.
Funny thing, I went to buy a Campy 10s chain at Speedgoat and the Record was the least expensive. I called to make sure it wasn't a mistake and they told me it was because of the greater demand for Record chains. Can't argue with economics. I just checked again and the Record is still the least expensive.

brians647
02-05-2008, 03:07 PM
www.probikekit.com Chorus levers and the rest can be centaur....It will be great!

+1. The only difference mechanically between Chorus and Centaur is weight and shifters. Listen to Shino.

CaptStash
02-05-2008, 11:57 PM
OK. So here i where I am at: I have a Record set of brifters and Chorus brakes. I am aiming for a carbon Centaur compact crank/bottom bracket. I plan to get a Centaur 11-25 cassette and probably either Chorus or Centaur derailleurs depending on what eBay has to offer. Anybody think I am on the wrong track?

CaptStash....

shinomaster
02-06-2008, 01:10 AM
OK. So here i where I am at: I have a Record set of brifters and Chorus brakes. I am aiming for a carbon Centaur compact crank/bottom bracket. I plan to get a Centaur 11-25 cassette and probably either Chorus or Centaur derailleurs depending on what eBay has to offer. Anybody think I am on the wrong track?

CaptStash....

The new carbon crank chain rings are MP like Veloce. Last years compact had better rings. You can get them cheap at nashbar. Get a phil bottom bracket in the 111mm size.. :)

learlove
02-06-2008, 01:39 AM
just did a build with 08 centaur.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=39073

love the group, except for the shifters/leavers.

Like the carbon. Dislike the smallness of the actual leaver compared to ultegra, dislike the plastic inner leaver.

Love love love everything about the rest of the group. big props for the simpleness and looks of the crank also.

saab2000
02-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Chorus shifters (based on the ability to "dump" the cassette, as noted above), Centaur for everything else.

Personally, I can't turn down some of the deals that have been around lately (non-skeleton Record and Chorus brakes, square taper carbon cranksets), so I end up with mixed groups from different years, and it suits me fine.

Word.

Centaur works just as nicely and the aluminum crank looks pretty nice.

MalleyNogo
02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
... This bike is planned to be my flat fun century bike, rather than the bike I would ride on hilly push till you puke gotta' catch that guy in front of me type rides...

and

... I am aiming for a carbon Centaur compact crank/bottom bracket...

I'd suggest a standard crank for a "flat" ride bike. Hell, I'd even put a 42 tooth small ring on. Compact + flat roads = :crap: (imho of course)

saab2000
02-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I agree. There is no need for a compact on flat or even moderately hilly roads. Compacts are for places like this.

MilanoTom
02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
and

I'd suggest a standard crank for a "flat" ride bike. Hell, I'd even put a 42 tooth small ring on. Compact + flat roads = :crap: (imho of course)

If you go with a standard crank, you might as well look for an square taper alloy Record or Chorus crankset rather than Centaur. There are loads of 'em around, they're beautfully made (way nicer than Centaur atmo), you get the best quality chainrings and the prices are great (south of $150 for Record). If a standard is used, it might also be worth considering a medium cage rear derailleur, to give you the option of a 13-29 cogset when needed (according to another thread, a short cage will work with a 13-29, but atmo it's not optimal).

When you put it all together, don't forget to post a photo.

Regards.
Tom

CaptStash
02-06-2008, 08:09 AM
I agree. There is no need for a compact on flat or even moderately hilly roads. Compacts are for places like this.

I'm going with the compact because itis plenty hilly whee I live. I plan to put a 11-25 cassette on the thing so I will have a nice range.

Looking into Nashbar as advised.

CaptStash....

saab2000
02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Capt. Stash,

Where do you live? I am not questioning your compact if you think you need it. But I have read many reports from folks who later thought they were undergeared much of the time.

In spite of the less clean look of triples, some people prefer them.

Me? If I ever live in the big mountains again I'll try a compact. Maybe.

'Til then it's still the 39x23 low end.

PS - I do like the 50x36 compacts. Look good and still give decent low and high.

CaptStash
02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I am in the Magnolia neighborhood in Seattle. I have a 12-27 paired with the 39-53 chain rings on my other bike so an 11-25 paired with a 34-50 compact will actually give me a lower low and higher high.

Part of my desire for a compact is experimental. I would like to try one out and this is my excuse. It will also be nice for training on the Eastside and playing going up and down Cougar Mountain and such.

saab2000
02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I've never ridden in Seattle so I am not qualified to comment. Only you are actually.

I am enamored of the Campagnolo Centaur and Record compact cranksets. They look very good. I once rode a bike with one and it was pretty nice shifting too.

Like I say, if I lived in real mountains again like I did in Switzerland I wouldn't hesitate to try out a compact.

97CSI
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Compact cranks are for wusses. Real mean use triples with a TA 26 small chainring.

bzbvh5
02-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Compact cranks are for wusses. Real mean use triples with a TA 26 small chainring.

I had bike shop take the SRAM off and put Centaur on my new bike and I love it. Campy doesn't make a Centaur triple but they do have a Comp Triple Group (crank, front and rear derailleur, and Centaur bottom bracket) that compliment with the other Centaur components nicely.

Longdaddy
02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Get the Record.

It's just money.

Otherwise you'll want it in 3 months, anyway.

I wish I could buy Chorus.....

Hello, my name is Eric and I'm an addict.

saab2000
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Get the Record.

It's just money.

Otherwise you'll want it in 3 months, anyway.

I wish I could buy Chorus.....

Hello, my name is Eric and I'm an addict.

No $hit man..... It's like walking into a Porsche dealership (not like I EVER do that...) looking for a Cayman and seeing the GT3 or Turbo right there at the front door......

No Chorus on my bikes either (except one where it's intentional because it's silver and in the case of the Ti seat posts which look better).

I'm a sucker too.

PT Barnum was right.

shinomaster
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
No $hit man..... It's like walking into a Porsche dealership (not like I EVER do that...) looking for a Cayman and seeing the GT3 or Turbo right there at the front door......

No Chorus on my bikes either (except one where it's intentional because it's silver and in the case of the Ti seat posts which look better).

I'm a sucker too.

PT Barnum was right.

I'm over Record. The centaur on my cross bike (03) shifts better. ***?

saab2000
02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm over Record. The centaur on my cross bike (03) shifts better. ***?

Because the aluminum brifters are better. The plastic shifter thingies on the Record and Chorus are not as good IMHO.

This is Chorus on my Chorus bike and better than the Record on the others.

The lever is stiffer IMHO.

shinomaster
02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm actually thinking of putting my older Record levers on my new cross frame when I get it. :) I got some new chorus QS levers which are lighter and probably shift better. Not sure it matters in a muddy race.