02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Off IBOb....
An email just came in from the Massbike list. It's hard to know what to
say:

"Sheldon's wife Harriet sent out mail this morning saying that Sheldon Brown
died of a massive heart attack last night."

--David Merfeld

Scott G.

A great loss for the cycling community, all my sympathy for his family.
An exceptionally fine person.

Gothard
02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
That is just so sad. He was so sincere and true in his passion for cycling. I'll add a silent mile in his honor next ride

superunleaded
02-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Off IBOb....
say:

--David Merfeld

Scott G.

A great loss to the cycling community.
Prayers goes to the great SB and his family.

dauwhe
02-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh, that's so very sad. What a great loss. My condolences to his family and friends, and to all who learned from him.

Dave

Chris
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Sad news. A huge loss. I hope there is some silver lining in the fact that he is now not suffering from the other medical conditions that had so disrupted his life the last few years.

Blue Jays
02-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends. :(

jmewkill
02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Very sad.

Grant McLean
02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
:(

sad news.

justinf
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I loved that guy. Cheers to Sheldon!

DarrenCT
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
very sad.

:(

jthurow
02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Sheldon was a great trove of information and a nic guy on top of it all. very very sad...

jimi

Alexi
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I just heard about this as a roumer on another forum, came over here to verify it. I'm very very sad.

SadieKate
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Oh my. A loss far too early.

Onno
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
His cycling website was one of the first I found, and I returned to it often when I was looking for pure common sense or fundamental data. It exuded a sense of a caring, knowing, idiosyncratic soul, who at least in part defined his life through cycling. And now cycling has in part become defined by his life.

Onno

Ginger
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh my. Sad news. He is such a pillar of the cycling community.

Condolences and Strength to his wife and family.

Mary Ann

cmg
02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
for his sense of humor and his techincal expertise he will missed.

dave thompson
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
A great flame that illuminated a tremendous amount of territory of what cycling was all about. It's dark now.

Godspeed Captain Bike!

Spinner
02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
... what a fine man and one of the world's greatest bike geeks.

on multiple occassions in the past i communicated via e-mail with sheldon, requesting some technical insight. he always responded quickly and with great clarity. while i never personally met him, i still know him through his extensive writings and photos.

all the best to his family and friends.

Ahneida Ride
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I loved that guy. Cheers to Sheldon!

Me too ... I'll miss Dr. Brown.

Acotts
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
That guy left behind quite a legacy. His knowledge and passion will live on much longer than any of us.

Cheers to Sheldon!

jcmuellner
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
The iBOB list will be much more quiet without you...what can you say for a someone who has given so much to the cycling community (and others as he had a passion for many things). We'll all miss you.

Jon

Bill Bove
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I worked with Sheldon at Franks Spoke 'N Wheel, he provided more than a couple of laughs. Very sad for his family and friends.

FMS_rider
02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
My world view has taken another hit. I hope that his family becomes aware of how special he was to so many of us, if they were not already.

It is time to think about what can be done in his honor --something that is important and lasting. Does anyone have connections with MS (multiple sclerosis) groups? Here is the link, once again, to his comments regarding "The bright side of MS" after he finally received a definitive diagnosis: http://sheldonbrown.org/ms.html. Perhaps a special fund- and consciousness-raising MS ride in his honor?

Lew

majorpat
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
He was a real treasure and his articles cover such a range of topics, I think they are an education to everyone who reads them. He also responded to my emails personally, not something you normally expect from today's world. He is missed.
Pat

Ray
02-04-2008, 01:43 PM
One of the nicest and most helpful people I've run across in the bike biz. Just a hell of a guy. I'm sad to hear of this - he seemed to have come to terms with his illness and was prepared to continue life with the same great spirit he had before he got sick. And now gone. Hard to fathom. He'll be missed.

My very best to his family - I almost felt like I knew them through his website, although I never met any of them.

-Ray

alancw3
02-04-2008, 01:46 PM
i new sheldon was going thru some rough times but this truly saddens me. sheldon has been a great resource for all of us with respect to his bicycle knowledge, particuarly in restoring a classic bike.

several months ago i wrote to the bicycle hall of fame to have sheldon's name added but i guess it is only for racer types. i tried to emphasize the contribution he has made to all with a love of bicycles but i guess to no evail.

sheldon may you rest in peace and thank you for all your help!!!!!

Fixed
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
bro sad news i will miss the fix king .
bro all us fix cats ride your fix in his memory
god bless
butch

Viper
02-04-2008, 01:50 PM
He was and will remain a hero to many. His impact on cycling will rotate forward and carry onwards. He fought health issues for some time now and he's now well again, in a better place. Great joy is felt, even in passing, knowing how many lives he touched. God Bless.

FMS_rider
02-04-2008, 01:50 PM

several months ago i wrote to the bicycle hall of fame to have sheldon's name added but i guess it is only for racer types. i tried to emphasize the contribution he has made to all with a love of bicycles but i guess to no evail.

Perhaps a vast outpouring of support at this point would change their minds?

Blue Jays
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
"...Several months ago i wrote to the Bicycle Hall of Fame to have Sheldon's name added but i guess it is only for racer types..."As in http://www.usbhof.org?

One would think they have some area of recognition for top-notch coaches and mechanic staff. A world-class racer is sunk without them in his/her corner.

72gmc
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Goodbye, Sheldon. Thank you.

avalonracing
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
It is time to think about what can be done in his honor --something that is important and lasting. Does anyone have connections with MS (multiple sclerosis) groups? Here is the link, once again, to his comments regarding "The bright side of MS" after he finally received a definitive diagnosis: http://sheldonbrown.org/ms.html. Perhaps a special fund- and consciousness-raising MS ride in his honor?

Lew

Keeping his work alive and running on the web would be a good start.

ti_boi
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
What a neat guy. So sorry to hear it.

issixtoomany
02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
USBHOF Nomination Page (http://www.usbhof.com/nomination/)

There is a "Contributor" classification, surely Sheldon fits.

Bruce K
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
This is a huge loss.

His knowledge and willingness to share it were unmatched in the cycling community.

BK

Steelhead
02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Very sad news, my prayers are with his family. He touched cyclists around the world with his passion for all things cycling. Rest in peace.

sn69
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Sucks.
Sucks.
Sucks.
Sucks.

Ride well on the other side, Captain.

rsl
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Terribly sad news. A great loss not only to the cycling community but to all, I'm sure, who knew him.

davids
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Augh. That's horrible news. I know he'd been dealing with MS, but this is completely out of the blue. He should have had many good years left.

My sympathy and wishes go out to his family (including his two children), friends, and colleagues.

D@mn, d@mn, d@mn.

sw3759
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
so very sad to hear that.i learned and laughed alot from his wonderful web pages.hopefully it will live on.he will be dearly missed by the world wide cycling community.

Scott

Keith A
02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Like many of you, I have benefited greatly because of both direct contact with Sheldon and through reading information on his website. His impact on cycling will be long lasting and far reaching. What tremendous contribution he has made to society...and what a void is created by his passing.

I hope that his family and friends are comforted during this time of grief in knowing that he was loved and respected by many. As sad as it is to loose him, it is good to know that his physical suffering is now over.

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/scb_eagle.jpeg

Grant McLean
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
This is a huge loss.

His knowledge and willingness to share it were unmatched in the cycling community.

BK

and unfortunately, you do "take it with you" when you go.

really a shame.

-grant

staggerwing
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I've never had a chance to personally communicate, but his writings have been invaluable to the successful completion of many a project. The depth of his cycling knowledge and wisdom was immense, but what was truly rare was his clarity in compiling, and generosity in sharing. Empowerment is strong stuff indeed. Thank you.

Peace to his family.

brians647
02-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Damn. Horrible news. He will be missed.

Len J
02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Sucks.
Sucks.
Sucks.
Sucks.

Ride well on the other side, Captain.

Damn........Damn!

Len

palincss
02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
USBHOF Nomination Page (http://www.usbhof.com/nomination/)

There is a "Contributor" classification, surely Sheldon fits.

I couldn't agree more, and have emailed them telling them so.

weiwentg
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
never met, spoke to, or emailed him, but I read his pages quite often. he will be missed.

konstantkarma
02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Tragic. I have learned so much from his writings.

Thanks for your help Sheldon!

dbrk
02-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes, so very sad. For years Sheldon was a kind and always helpful voice, a person whose integrity matched his remarkable expertise and genius. He was and will remain a voice remembered even in generations to come, I am sure. Rest peacefully, Sheldon. My heartfelt condolences to his family. As I recall, his children are still young. Such losses are never easy.

dbrk

stevep
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
alas, very sad. very sudden.

sheldon had the joyful ability to make you realize that it is a bike and a bike should be fun above all... we all do well to remember it.

godspeed sheldon.

thwart
02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
He'll be sorely missed by a lot of folks.

Condolences to his family. And to everyone who rides a bike...

WadePatton
02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow, I am truly saddened, Sheldon and I were just discussing some hubs via email. I often referred to his vast array of printed knowledge, and enjoyed his humor.

I was just thinking of what sort of note to send him regarding MS--as my father has MS.

And I had hopes of spotting him at NAHBS and saying "Hello".

damn damn damn-- We're missing you already Capt.

goonster
02-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Without the inspiration of Sheldon and Harriet, I might not be riding bicycles today.

Godspeed Sheldon. Thanks for everything.

OldDog
02-04-2008, 03:05 PM
A tip of the helmet to you Mr. Brown. Your memory will live on in your writings for a long time to come.

jeffg
02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you Sheldon, and au revoir

Condolences to his family -- putting a family with small children back together is never easy

dave1215
02-04-2008, 03:16 PM
one of the great originals of all time - genuine, inspirational, generous - he'll certainly be missed by all who knew him. sincere condolences to Harriet, Tova and George.

gman
02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
An authority not only on matters pertaining to two-wheels, but in humanity and the true spirit of the individual.

He will be missed by many and my heart goes out to his family.

I will have a moment of internal silence on my next ride for him.

Louis
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
What a bummer. We've lost one of cycling's great treasures.

Happy Trails, Sheldon, and condolences to family and friends.

Louis

Ray
02-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Thank you Sheldon, and au revoir

Condolences to his family -- putting a family with small children back together is never easy
Jeff and Douglas,

It doesn't really make it easier, but his kids are grown and off on their own. I'm sure it is no less devastating to them or to Harriet, his wife, but somewhat less logistically difficult for her than if they were still little. FWIW.

-Ray

Banjers51
02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Such a wonderful spirit and marvelous character who frequently added just the right amount of wit and irreverence to reminds us all that bikes and biking should be fun. My condolences to his family and a personal wish that they speak French wherever Sheldon has now taken up residence.

Banjers51
"Putcher fangers on the strangs" E.Scruggs

Avispa
02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
That is just so sad. He was so sincere and true in his passion for cycling. I'll add a silent mile in his honor next ride

I think I will ride my full loop in silence... What a loss!

RIP Sheldon! :(

dbrk
02-04-2008, 04:16 PM
In the face of such tragic loss, I hope some will forgive this if this seems trivial. Springsteen concealed a song at the end of "Magic" about his long time assistant Terry who had recently passed. Here are a few lines from Terry's Song, which I heard this afternoon driving to pick up my daughter from school and made me think of Sheldon...Great rockn'roll can do that, I think, touch the heart in simple words, in the poetry of music. Sheldon loved life and music as much as anyone I have ever known, and he loved too things simple and real that get to the heart of the matter. So for Sheldon, these words seem true enough.

dbrk

Well they built the Titanic to be one of a kind, but many ships have ruled the seas
They built the Eiffel Tower to stand alone, but they could build another if they please
Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, are unique I suppose
But when they built you, brother, they broke the mold
Now your death is upon us and we'll return your ashes to the earth
And I know you'll take comfort in knowing you've been roundly blessed and cursed
But love is a power greater than death, just like the songs and stories told
And when she built you, brother, she broke the mold

old_school
02-04-2008, 04:31 PM
most heartfelt condolences to his family

may his spirit forever endure in the hearts and minds of cyclists throughout the world

onekgguy
02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Very sad to hear this. I just spent the better part of an hour sifting through his website and feeling sad that he is no longer with us. I hope his site will continue on. I left an email to thank him for all he's done...here's his address if anybody would like to do the same...

CaptBike@sheldonbrown.com

Kevin g

twinhype
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
The breadth of his cycling knowledge made me a fan his. He was a kindred spirit to all of us. My condolences to his loved ones

Kevan
02-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Heaven is going to be rolling smoother.

Erik.Lazdins
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I just read this and I am saddened. I've been a fan of his writings for a long time.

May there be great rides in Heaven.

Rest Sheldon.

michael white
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I never met Sheldon, and I don't think he ever made a dime off of me, but he helped keep me on the road nevertheless, and more than once. A life lived with humor and love is all anyone can ask. He was a heck of a guy.

mw

goonster
02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Ha!

Sheldon wrote this on Jan. 28, 1997:

I was cruelly disappointed on Sunday evening; I took my family to see the
4-hour version of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, in 70mm, which is playing in
Cambridge. I assumed there would be no problem getting in because of the
fact that the Stupor Bowl was on at the same time. Unfortunately, I wasn't
the only one to have that idea, and after waiting in a long line, they
announced that it was sold out when we were next in line.

I hate football, and particularly despise the Patriots...now, the Red Sox,
that's a different story, and baseball is a _great_ sport...

Sheldon "Un Patriotic" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts

Ray
02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Heaven is going to be rolling smoother.
Yeah, but NO COASTING!

Actually mildly relieved to hear that Sheldon hated football. I'd really be bummed at the thought that last night's game bummed him out on his last night of life. Or that it might have even contributed to the heart attack in some way. I believe this is a pretty common phenomenon.

-Ray

weaponsgrade
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
A very big loss. I built my first set of wheels following his directions.

LegendRider
02-04-2008, 05:47 PM
My condolences to his family and friends. I had no direct contact with him aside from buying a peanut butter wrench from Harris Cyclery, but I sure liked the him.

Frankwurst
02-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Sad. My condolences to his family and friends. A huge loss, to say the least, to the cycling community.

rustychisel
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
RIP, very sad news.

Flat Out
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I feel like an idiot. I've been to his web pages countless times and purchased stuff from Harris to build my fixie. I have MS and I had no idea that he did as well. I'm blessed in that it is a different type than Sheldon had and it doesn't affect my life as it did his. God willing that will continue. A look at his MS page tells me that he had the perfect attitude and sense of humor to take on the disease. MS is what got me back on the bike last year and caused me to change my lifestyle and my priorities. Turn a negative into a positive. Sounds like that's exactly what he did too.

He will be missed.

-Michael Sterling
(dumb friggin' luck to get a disease that is the same as your initials) :)

DRZRM
02-04-2008, 06:46 PM
That is so sad, what a very nice man he was. I got my fixed from the good folks at Harris and had the pleasure of meeting Sheldon there once. What a loss for the cycling world.

My mother suffered from MS for more than 20 years, and eventually passed from complications. All my sympathies go out the the family.

sfghbiker
02-04-2008, 06:46 PM
very sad news. as many on here have posted, he was a wealth of knowledge and an all around great character. his website and responses to my questions always reminded me why so many of us ride bikes in the first place. it seems we are searching and re-creating that initial joy we experienced the first time we discovered we could roll and zoom around on two wheels as little kids. what a great feeling. his presence reminded me that so much of the rest is just hype but that feeling is amazing still. RIP and thanks for being such a great person.

OperaLover
02-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Deleted.

OperaLover
02-04-2008, 06:47 PM
In this era of carbon this and lighter that, Sheldon got it! It's not the bike, it's the ride.

"I have always loved riding bicycles,
especially for the feeling of freedom and self-sufficiency that they give."

--Sheldon Brown

Man, we lost one of the great ones . . .

BillyBear
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
...we did lose a great advocate of cycling and of living life to the fullest. I bought my Atlantis from him at Harris Cyclery, and he did me right. We spent about an hour specing out the components and 10,000 miles later, I haven't changed (except for maintenance) one damn thing.

I also remember riding with him on several CRW rides, particularly on a cold New years day in downtown beantown...You could spot him from blocks away with his helmet "hood ornament".

Kahuna
02-04-2008, 07:03 PM
This is so terrible to hear. Just last night I was reading the info he posted on his site about the recumbent he's been riding - thinking that someday my wife might be able to ride one. The webpage is still on my screen - a photo of him sitting on the trike with his smiling face. I was going to write him this week and now this.

A great person. A great loss. God bless his family.

-K

Off IBOb....
say:

--David Merfeld

Scott G.

jimp1234
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Not sure why, but I thought of that old joke about the dedicated cyclist that get hits by the truck and goes to heaven, and when St. Peter is showing him around the place, a big group of cyclists come whizzing by. He recognizes Coppi, and Anquetil but sitting at the front in a 55 x 12 is Eddy Merckx. The rider says to St. Pete that he didn't know that Eddy had died, and St. Peter says, "No, that's God, he just thinks he's Eddy Merckx".... I hope Sheldon Brown is sitting on in the big pack in the sky, and if God needs help figuring his "gain ratio" , he'll know who to ask...

PBWrench
02-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Sad news and my condolences go to his family. We shared a love (with many) for old Raleighs and he very patiently answered my many questions- always with patience and enthusiasm.

rwsaunders
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Class act all the way.

BumbleBeeDave
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
. . .to what others have already said. It's just very sad. You tell yourself that everyone has to go sometime, but when someone like him does it still hurts bad.

BBD

peter weigle
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
snipped
>Sheldon received the Classic Rendezvous Vintage Bicycle Award a few years
>ago, I believe 2005. On the way to the car after the banquet, he fell
>while
>carrying the trophy. Tailwinds my friend. Lou Deeter, Orlando FL

Lou and all,
It was 2005, Sheldon rode to and from the banquet with john, Richard and
myself.
On the way out to the car while carrying his trophy Sheldon stepped off the
curb, and we thought caught his sandle on the cars tire as he went past it,
he went down hard!
We helped him get up,, he was still holding onto his trophy which had a base
with the awards inscription written on it, and a chainring sticking up for
decoration.

He was shaken, had cut himself a little, but said he was alright. We got
into the car, all feeling bad for him and he was embarresed.
There was an akward silence,,, I broke the ice with hey, its a bio-pace
chain ring trophy now! Sheldon laughed, so we knew we could to, and drove off towards the Battle Ground Inn.
He was a good sport, and as Lou said, probably knew it was more than just
tripping on his sandal but he never mentioned it to us.
Thats how I will remember Sheldon, clutching his trophy, which he so rightly
deserved.

peter weigle
lyme, ct.

------------------------------

BumbleBeeDave
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
. . . who have been helped by his knowledge and selfless sharing. But it's really nice to be a member of this forum and learn things like that about him. Thanks, Peter . . .

BBD

Blue Jays
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
/\/\ Peter, that's a great story. Sounds like quite a guy who would simply laugh at adversity rather than feeling as if he was burdening others. Wow.

H1449-6
02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
RIP. The community will surely miss him.

MilanoTom
02-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I'll be thinking of him when I do the MS-150 this year...

gone
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Like many of the people here, I "knew" Sheldon from his extensive writing on things mechanical. His obvious love of bikes and his willingness to share his knowledge about them was a gift that I took frequent advantage of and always appreciated. If I wanted to know how something "really" worked, I checked Sheldon's site because I knew he'd give me the straight scoop.

I'm affected by his death much more than I can say. He'll be missed by a great number of people and who of us can ask for anything more as a legacy?

Godspeed Sheldon. You were a good 'un.

Fixed
02-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.

Aristophanes

chuckroast
02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh, I was so sad to log on tonight and see this. What a tribute to the gentleman to generate this much sympathy and best wishes in so short a time. God bless his family.

Onno
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
If there's ever a time to ride an MS 150, in honor of someone special, this is it! Is there one that a bunch of Serotta forumites could do, near Albany, perhaps?

Tom Byrnes
02-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Like everyone else, I am very shocked and sadden to hear of Sheldon’s passing. He was a tremendous source and wealth of information on all things cycling who so graciously and freely shared his knowledge with everyone.

Everyone who frequents this Forum is indebted to Sheldon.

My condolences to his family and friends at this very difficult and sad time.

quaintjh
02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
If there's ever a time to ride an MS 150, in honor of someone special, this is it! Is there one that a bunch of Serotta forumites could do, near Albany, perhaps?
Good call. Sheldon will be missed. My best to his family.
Ask BBDave about the MS 150 in the capital district. He helps orgainze this I think.

bironi
02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
but I made it thru each post with foggy eyes. For a little uplift, read Harriet Fell's (Sheldon's wife) journal of her 1975 PBP ride. It took me a few years to connect this fine story to Sheldon Brown.

Condolences to his family, and thanks for your contributions Sheldon.

Byron

BumbleBeeDave
02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Good call. Sheldon will be missed. My best to his family.
Ask BBDave about the MS 150 in the capital district. He helps orgainze this I think.

I finally decided 7 years was enough. I'm still going to do the ride every year--just leave the logistics up to others. But riding an MS Tour in honor of Sheldon is a great idea!

BBD

eisenm
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I, too, felt like I knew Sheldon from his diary on his website, from his webpages, and from the few personal emails I shared with him. He was always willing to help with my technical questions, and I was a regular customer on-line. I send my condolences to his family, and I hope they know how extensive his influence was on the cycling community.

Louis
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
He was pretty fatalistic about things. Below in bold is his response to a note I sent him back in April of last year when they were first trying to figure out what was wrong.

Louis

At 9:42 PM -0500 4/17/07, Louis Hall wrote:
>Hi Sheldon,
>
>I just came across your health journal after someone posted a link
>on the Serotta forum here:
>http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=340054#post340054
>
>We've exchanged e-mails a bit in the past as I've been looking for
>various parts, and of course you, Harris and the info you provide
>have been invaluable to the cycling world. You're one of the good
>guys out there and we all appreciate it.
>
>Best of luck as you go through this, and I hope that they can figure
>out how to fix you up. Like I said in the title, we're pulling for
>you. Take care.
>
>Louis

I had not seen that, thanks for the link.

Thanks for your concern. I'm bearing up OK, some days better than
others. I guess I'll just have to play out whatever cards I've been
dealt.

I'll continue updating http://sheldonbrown.com/health as news comes in...

All the best,

Sheldon--

Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

jmeloy
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I called him a couple years back as a real newby and he spent an hour helping me out. Went back to his site many times to better understand the bikes I ride....

NicaDog
02-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Hall of fame, Sheldon should surely be able to be inducted into the pro cycling hall of fame.

How about the Banana Forumites make a formal applicaiton?

FMS_rider
02-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Without the inspiration of Sheldon and Harriet, I might not be riding bicycles today.

Godspeed Sheldon. Thanks for everything.Thanks for the image of Sheldon with a different face than I had seen before. It will be in my screensaver file.
Lew

Oirad
02-05-2008, 08:39 AM
This is a very sad day, for sure. Fair winds, Sheldon.

Oirad

goonster
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
If there's ever a time to ride an MS 150, in honor of someone special, this is it!

riding an MS Tour in honor of Sheldon is a great idea!

Maybe, but Sheldon had reservations (http://sheldonbrown.com/thons.html) about these events.

rpm
02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Everyone who blogs about bikes has a tribute to Sheldon. (The Bike Snob NYC tribute is especially well done: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/ )

Think about what a testimony it is to your life that so many people are moved to remember you. I wish that could be said about all of us.

Volant
02-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Sheldon, you will be missed. Thank you for all you help, advice and laughs.
God bless.

iffyjoe
02-05-2008, 09:54 AM
very sad news. Big loss.

ClutchCargo
02-05-2008, 10:47 AM
A trove of cycling information and lore and, by all accounts, a nice man.
God bless him.

thejen12
02-05-2008, 11:02 AM
What tragic news. <tears>

Jenn

Don Ventura
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Sad indeed. I remember him personally advising me several times on component choices for French bikes, when no one else had the knowledge or interest.

Kent Peterson said it well: http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2008/02/sheldon-brown.html

Dekonick
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I am shaken.

Ride on, Captain. May you never flat again.

jtferraro
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
what a resource and icon you'll always be...

I can remember one instance that illustrates just how helpful your incredible web site was for me: I believe it was the summer of '02 (year I was bit by the road bug). My wife & I were driving to the Seacoast Century ride and I had stopped to pick up a new battery for my cyclometer along the way. I replaced the battery but lost all my settings, including wheel circumference. I couldn't just choose the default setting and leave close enough alone, as my only bike at the time was a mtb w/slicks. I knew 26" x 1" would probably be far enough off the default setting to really throw my numbers off. I was disappointed I hadn't thought ahead and brought the Vetta brochure w/me, nor did I have a tape measure to literally measure wheel circumference. Fortunately, I had remembered that Sheldon had published these Vetta brochures online. To that end, I made a cell phone call to my mother, and asked if she'd be kind enough to look up this info online. She quickly found Sheldon's site and provided the appropriate number. I now had peace of mind that my puter's feedback would be accurate (was only my 2nd century, so this was important to me!). Thanks, Sheldon. From there forward, I've always thought of his website as the quintessential reference (like a cyclist's bible).

I echo everybody else's sentiments and hope your family and loved ones find peace & strength in knowing how many lives you've touched and what contributions you've provided!

bigtime
02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
There's not a week that goes by that I haven't gone to one of his pages for something. Always enjoyed every visit. His spirit endures. God bless ye Capn.

Andy

stevep
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
sheldon story:
ive been in the bike business in basicly every possible category over the last 35 years. a decent mechanic, etc, etc.
owned a shop, a distribution company and worked as a rep...

im in the basement of harris cyclery chatting with sheldon and a couple of the guys there a few years ago.. and note well... he was never in any remote way a normal retail operation...
he chimes in...
"hey, let me give you an idea of what i do.." and puts his phone on speaker.
first call...
a guy from down south asking for help with a 1971 mercier with a french thread 5 speed freewheel. believe me, i smile cause this is something that i extremely doubt that you could buy anywhere for many years...likely not even in france.
sheldon..." sure, what ratios do you want?". walks the guy through the ratios and sends him what he needs.

the next call is a guy looking for helicomatic cassettes... these are french cassette hubs made for a few years a long time ago...
sheldon..." what ratios? and you need a chain as well cause its skipping..."

you guys in bike retail will remember this stuff.
there is no shop ( i'll bet anyone ) in america that could have serviced these customers.
he is irreplaceable.
his knowledge is irreplaceable.

i got a couple of others...maybe later. this thread will go for weeks.

ti_boi
02-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Like many on the board, I visited Sheldon's web site and feel though I never met him personally that I got to know him through his writing and his photographs. A little bit like the relationship that some here share.

We are bound by some interesting threads. Love of cycling. Memories. Beauty. Energy.

I have always been taught and do believe that 'we live on in the memory of others'...I cannot speak for the unknown beyond that though optimism and belief if it were enough would ensure eternal happiness.

It is love that gets us through. It is our interest in life and vitality that sustains us. I wish peace for everyone who mourns. I wish strength for anyone who hurts.

Ray
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Posted by Corvus Corvax at r.b.t.

Said Molly to Sheldon that's a fine fixie bike
A girl could feel special on any such like.
Said Sheldon to Molly, well my hat's off to you
It's a brakeless Bianchi and the chainring's 52
And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems
Red hair and black spandex, my favorite color scheme
And she drafted on behind
And down to Box Hill they did ride

Said Sheldon to Molly, here's a ring for your right hand
But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man
I've fought with the cars since I was seventeen
I ran many a light on my fixie machine
Now I'm 61 years, I might make 62
And I don't mind dying, but for the love of you
And if fate should break my spin,
Then I'll give you my fixie to ride

Come down, come down, Red Molly, called Sergeant McRae
For they've taken in Sheldon at the end of his days
He called out for you on his long and final ride
Oh come down Red Molly to his dying bedside
When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left
He was running out of road, he was running out of breath
But he smiled to see her cry
And said I'll give you my fixie to ride

Says Shel, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a fixed-gear Bianchi and a red headed girl
Now Shimano LX or XT won't do
They don't have a soul like a Phil Wood tightly trued
He reached for her hand, gave her his Allen keys
He said I've got no further use for these
I see angels on Brooks's in spandex and chrome
Swooping down from heaven to carry me home
And he gave her one last kiss and died
And he gave her his fixie to ride

See http://www.rtlist.net/listen.htm for the original lyrics to "Vincent Black Lightning 1952" by Richard Thompson.

ti_boi
02-07-2008, 03:06 AM

See http://www.rtlist.net/listen.htm for the original lyrics to "Vincent Black Lightning 1952" by Richard Thompson.

Ray,

This really deserved a run through with a guitar.........here is my humble attempt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1GC81yLF4 R.I.P Sheldon.

Ray
02-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Ti-Boi, that is just friggin' WONDERFUL. First off, pulling off any sort of performance of a Richard Thompson tune takes some musicianship, even without the insane finger-picking. Second, its just very well done. This may be getting a bit overboard, but if you were to change the words 'Molly' to Harriet and instead of her being red-headed, make her gray headed, I think it would be worth sending that to Harriet, his widow. On the off-chance that there was a red-headed Molly in his life at some point, perhaps best not to go with it as written.

But seriously, that's just great as is. VERY nicely done.

Thanks so much for putting that together,

-Ray

Keith A
02-07-2008, 07:43 AM
ti_boi http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/41.gif

Fixed
02-07-2008, 10:15 AM

bro you got me all cryin ...all of us face ..the future alone except for love Imho
cheers to you bro s.b.

davids
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Great job, TiB! :beer:

For those who don't know, that's a rewrite of Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". I suggest you check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxKTzwaEa2o

fiamme red
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice tribute in a British newspaper: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/feb/07/ethicalliving.cycling

davids
02-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Another article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/02/08/homepsun_wisdom/), this one in today's Boston Globe.

Kevan
02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Another article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/02/08/homepsun_wisdom/), this one in today's Boston Globe.

leading the story is a remarkably tender photo of Sheldon's family.

Louis
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
All this is bringing tears to my eyes. I should get back to work....

TiB - nice video.

Louis

RABikes2
02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
ti_boi http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/41.gif
+100,000
Very nice ti_boi, very nicely done.
RA
R.I.P. Sheldon

Bud_E
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Very nice article. I didn't know much about the man other than his articles coming up in Googling stuff once in a while. I can see from his family and some of the blogs of his that I've read he was a pure soul. The world needs more like him.

Wheelman
02-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I had a chance meeting with Sheldon at a bike show called Cirque in NC. I captured a photo of him taking a photo of one of my vintage bikes called a RIGI. That is what you are seeing here.

After taking this photo I had the chance to speak to him for a moment. He explained he wanted the photo for his collection as he never saw a RIGI in real time. I was lucky to capture this moment and I am happy to share it with you all.

RIP Sheldon, you will be missed.

Ray
Wheelman@nac.net