PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Frameset - '84 vintage Milton(?)

Der_Kruscher
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
wondering if anyone has any scoop on an '80's era East Coast builder by the name of Milton...or pretty sure that's the name. I was poking around at a small shop that I hadn't been to before and I saw a nice looking vintage steel frameset hanging from the rafters. The shop owner told me that the frameset was built by an east coast guy (Milton?} who built frames for the '84 Olympic team. He bought it in '84 and never built it, so aside from a little shop-wear, it's new. The frame is made of Columbus SL with a Cinelli BB shell and campy dropouts and simple lugs (sorry, I don't know much about various lugs). The bike appears similar to the Levi's Raleigh team bikes that I believe were made by Marinoni (http://www.retroraleighs.com/racing-usa.html) - pretty sure the seat cluster was different though - the lugs are the same. Anyway, I don't have any photos and was just curious if anyone knows anything as my web searches haven't turned anything up...Thanks!

Vancouverdave
02-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Builder's name is/was Mike Melton, and was Ohio based. For some reason a large number of his frames were sold out of R&E Cycles in Seattle--a store that had little or no reason to sell frames other than what they make!

JRoberts
12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Before going to Ohio Mike Melton was located in Columbia, South Carolina.

pbjbike
12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
If it's reasonably priced, and fits you, buy it and ride it. :beer:

Der_Kruscher
12-10-2009, 11:01 PM
That thing sold a looong time ago...not to me :) It was a little small anyway.