PDA

View Full Version : ride report: A Cold Day In Hell

jonathanirwin
02-02-2008, 06:31 PM
This is going to be a big cycling year, and specifically a big climbing year. The Stelvio, The Mortirolo, & Passo Gavia during the Giro. The Death Ride. Climbing Mt. Shasta (on foot). The Shasta Mountain Century...and at 225lbs, I have my work cut out, just to survive.

So while comparing our local rides to these epic climbs, I decided to use The Mt.Tam Hill Climb course as my benchmark for fitness. Ride it every couple weeks to see how my form improves. And race it in the fall to book end the season. So, never having done it, how would I hold up? Today was the day to find out.

I woke up this morning to a San Francisco overcast sky and temperatures in the 50ies. This would be great. The stomach bug I had last night has probably cleared up by now, and a medium Pete's coffee will do the trick in killing off any bugs left in the guts. I got to Stinson beach (driving) around 9:45, and what little breakfast I tried to eat hadn't gone down very well. A quick visit to the Stinson beach public toilet, and I'll be on my way. Oh, and now it's raining.

I'll spin around the parking lot and see how the legs feel. Pretty good! Stomach's not right but hey, the winners do this thing in 47 minutes, so I'll be back in no time. Just suck it up. With a couple issues of Rapha's Rouleur magazine, and "Road to Paris" fresh in my head I was looking for a suffer fest. And that's exactly what I got.

Hammering out of the parking lot, in the pouring rain, I made it to the foot of the Fairfax-Bolinas climb with a tailwind.

Minute 11, I am Magnus Bäckstedt.

The pace change from big ring to small ring hurt more than I was used to, and my stomach was touching my spine already (at 225lbs, this isn't a common occurrence!). My tank was empty and I (thought) had 36 minutes left to get to the top.

Minute 16, I am me...falling apart. In the rain.

Legs feeling great, but I still hadn't gotten to the top of Bo-Fax (the first climb), and the needle was banging off empty. Any effort above 90% of maxHR resulted in a little throw up in my mouth. Mmm, Pete's. My Rapha kit was soaked through. I was cold, and out of gas. But cycling is a battle against pain, and I wasn't going to lose.

Minute 52, top of BoFax.

The run up to the seven sisters tunnels through a dense redwood forest, and when I popped out into the clear, I was met with temps in the low 40ies, 25mph cross winds, and freezing rain. I couldn't see 100ft in front of me, and I was riding at an angle to stay upright.

Minute 56, Tam gods open can of whoop-***.

Minute 63, I'm a pineapple being blended into a frozen margarita. I can't see. I can't feel the right side of my face.

Minute 74, the run to the finish line is mostly downhill. I feel great. Mostly because it's over. But I have to slow down because the belting rain hurts too much. Did I mention I can't see?

1:16:22. I cross the finish line. Alone. In the freezing rain, in the midst of the stomach flu, and on empty. I barely beat the time of last years slowest finisher.

But I had my benchmark!

The descent back to the car was the coldest and most miserable I had ever been on a bike. My hands were so cold I couldn't shift...just enough dexterity to clamp down on the brakes. When I got to the car (my wife and son were waiting), I scared them a little with my undressing. I couldn't do it, and started fits of violent shaking. My wife had to take my shoes off. It took me 30 minutes to stop shaking, and my wife ran over my bike (which I couldn't put on top of the car) in her rush to get me out of there (the bike is fine!).

I'm done. Here are the stats...

- time on course: 1:16:22 - miserable :)
- time on bike: 1:35
- gain: 2,345ft
- avgHR: 175 / 89%
- maxHR: 188 / 96%
- breakfast calories: 400
- calories burnt: 1495

I can't wait to go back! :banana:

Elefantino
02-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Way to go, clydesdale.

Keep it up and you'll be under 200.

oldfatslow
02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
What an epic ride. Very inspiration at this time in the season -- makes me want to push myself harder. I only wish there were photo's of the ride. Sounds a little like the Gavia Pass that Andy summited in a blizzard to set up the only American win of the Gavia. Good for you.

1centaur
02-02-2008, 06:49 PM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I nearly turned back three times, and I was just reading :)

Louis
02-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Congratulations, sounds like it was a ride to remember. It also sounds like you are one determined / stubborn / crazy person!

97CSI
02-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Way to go! Am starting on the road tomorrow. Unseasonably warm 53 is forecast. Should be great fun! Like you, lots of climbing this year (Bike VA, Glenwood Springs to Boulder, a half-dozen hilly century rides). Looking forward to it. And getting under 200.

jonathanirwin
02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
The gods later rewarded my perserverence. My son (2yrs old) took a 2 hour nap when I got home.

WadePatton
02-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Super ride. I love pushing it until it don't push no more and then reaching for another helping. BUT--I tried that too early this year and am nursing a knee now. Maybe tomorrow I can get some good misery. ;)

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I like you!

Go down to Kirby Cove and moon the Golden Gate for me.

BBD

Erik.Lazdins
02-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Great writing - I was needing some pics of the ride - not of you getting undressed afterwards :)
and not of your bike getting driven over :bike:

I once got so cold on a descent I turned around and climbed up some - cold descents hurt!

:beer: :beer:

Some serious early season climbing!

jonathanirwin
02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Go down to Kirby Cove and moon the Golden Gate for me.

Will do BBD! Let me thaw out first.

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Only a true Girlie- Man would need to do THAT!

BBD

SoCalSteve
02-02-2008, 07:47 PM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I nearly turned back three times, and I was just reading :)

Post of the day!

jonathanirwin
02-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Getting warmed up. Already falling behind the competition...
http://jonathanirwin.com/post/1.jpg

WadePatton
02-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Fantastic photo, and with competition like that, you'd better keep at it!

scrooge
02-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice write up...
225? Really?
How tall are you?

dancinkozmo
02-02-2008, 11:19 PM
i drank beer and ate pie on my couch all day today....

jonathanirwin
02-02-2008, 11:22 PM
How tall are you?
6'3"

Blue Jays
02-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Having a benchmark this early in the season is a wonderful thing.
Great narrative. I felt like I was there with the wind-driven, ice-cold sleet bouncing off my face! Keep up the great work.

Buzz
02-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Jonathan,

Nice write up and effort out there today.

Another big boy riding in No. Cal.

Come on over to Danville sometime and I'll show you up Mt. Diablo. You'll get closer to 4,000 feet of climbing which would be great for your training. Rode it today. There were a ton of riders out. We didn't have the cold conditions or heavy rain you endured. Just a light sprinkle. A beautiful, overcast coolish sky serving as a backdrop against the green hills and trees and the rise of the mountain.

jeffg
02-03-2008, 02:54 AM
Jonathan,

Nice write up and effort out there today.

Another big boy riding in No. Cal.

Come on over to Danville sometime and I'll show you up Mt. Diablo. You'll get closer to 4,000 feet of climbing which would be great for your training. Rode it today. There were a ton of riders out. We didn't have the cold conditions or heavy rain you endured. Just a light sprinkle. A beautiful, overcast coolish sky serving as a backdrop against the green hills and trees and the rise of the mountain.

Johnathan,

Awesome write up! You have inspired me to get out to Diablo or Tam this week

Of course, Diablo, though that can be epic as well.

I remember descending in April in the mid 30s and rain -- I have never been so cold ever, though it was part of a great day's ride

Congratulations again!

FMS_rider
02-04-2008, 08:54 AM
This is going to be a big cycling year, and specifically a big climbing year. ...and at 225lbs, I have my work cut out, just to survive.

So while comparing our local rides to these epic climbs, I decided to use The Mt.Tam Hill Climb course as my benchmark for fitness. .......
:banana:

Wonderful ride report! I can never get enough of these.

Thanks for the post,
Lew

Blue Jays
02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Forgot to mention earlier...very cool all-wooden bike yer' boy has got there!
Getting him interested in the sport as soon as possible! :)

bluehorseshoe
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Great ride, great writing, great photo of your son.

Your plan for the year sounds epic; its close to the dream season I've been constructing in my head. (Climb the Alps following the Giro, do the northeast hillclimb trilogy (Washington, Ascutney and Equinox) and a couple Colorado based epics like the Triple Bypass and Copper Triangle. Of course, I'd need to quit my job and leave my family to train enough to survive that, but its a nice fantasy.)

Best of luck,
Wes