PDA

View Full Version : Water in my Velocity Deep V rims

DRZRM
02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
So I had to ride home on my fixed road bike in a f*****g squall last night, everything drenched except for my Brooks seat, which was in a plastic bag. I got home, wiped everything down, and lubed the chain. This AM, finally dry myself, I go to remove, clean and lube chain, and give the bike a good cleaning when I hear that "watery" sound from my back wheel. I had to take off the tire and tube and shake out a few ounces of water. Is this normal? This is my first bike with Deep V rims, I don't think I've ever trapped that much water in a wheel, but I don't usually ride my road bike through standing water either (though I used to do it with my MTB all the time and never had this situation as far as I remember). Anyway, is there any reason I need to worry?

Thanks,

Zach

swoop
02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
yes. normal. pop the bead, let the water out. it takes 40 seconds. while you're at it.. lube your nipples.
rain riding.. the cleaning takes linger than the biking.

Peter P.
02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
It's already been reported that Velocity manufactured some mis-labeled rims. What you have is actually a Velocity Deep "C" rim, hence the water ;-)

Erik.Lazdins
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
On a previous bike I had a set of deeper aluminum wheels that did that too - I usually just left it there and it would dry out. I did try to shake it out though and parked an oscillating fan next to the bike after every wet ride.

-but when the whole bike is gleaming and there is water in the wheels- it is annoying!

:beer:

DRZRM
02-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm no weight weenie (if I was I'd have bought a lighter rim) but I figure I don't need to have a couple of ounces swirling around my rims, and that sound was sort of like having a playing card in my spokes (well maybe a bit more subtle) once it was there, I had to empty them out. Glad there is no problem with the wheels, beyond the obvious fact that they take on water and hold it when it's raining.

A.L.Breguet
02-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Happens with my Open Pros in a hard rain. Annoying.

ericspin
02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I have had the same thing with my OP's also.

AgilisMerlin
02-02-2008, 09:46 PM
sometimes in drastic situations, you gotta pull tire and tube.......pull rim strip and spin wheel and just watch all the oxidized water drain out..........

once a year......usually gotta do this.......open pro guy