PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding the Bay Country Century on 9/4/04?

Spectrum Bob
08-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I just signed up for the Bay Country Century on Saturday, September 4th and was wondering if anyone from the forum was planning on riding it?

This century is taking place on Maryland's western shore and I have only heard good things about it. The last few times I rode the Seagull Century, I found it to be way too crowded. This century is limited to 1500 and I am hoping it will be a good alternative.

If anyone wants to join in on the fun let me know.

Spectrum Bob

Dekonick
08-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Ye willing to go slow?

Seriously, IF I can get leave I think Ill do it... Will be my first century. Dunno why I have never done one before...just never have.

Spectrum Bob
08-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Dekonick
A first century is a wonderful thing.
How slow are you talking?
I am not looking at doing anything super fast, but would like to finish with an upper 16 to 18 average speed.
Hope you can get the leave, I would enjoy the company.
Spectrum Bob

Dekonick
08-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I can swing 17, perhaps 18 - not sure if I can do it for an entire century solo, but if I draft no problem.

I assume its mostly flat? I am slower in the hills - I average 14-15 (with stops) in the Ellicott City area when doing my climbs.

Ill send a PM as soon as I find out about leave.

Sandy
08-18-2004, 11:48 PM
I haven't ridden many long rides at all. But I might try it. Not sure yet.

Can we do it over 10 days, at 10 miles a day?

Could we do it like Kevan does it? Ride 20 miles and say you did 100.

Could we do it like my pet ,Snail Sandy- .1 mile a day?

Sandy

Dekonick
08-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Why dont we try to get a bunch of the local Serottans together and do a paceline? VA rider, Sandy, PBbob (if everything is ok with his family and he feels up to it), Smiley, etc... It could be interesting!

No promises from me about speed...but Ill provide good entertainment!

pbbob
08-23-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm back and doing it. doing the shorefire this weekend.haven't ridden in over a week but it's only a 100 miles!

Spectrum Bob
08-23-2004, 04:20 PM
pbbob, cool, I am glad you can make it, I will look forward to riding with you again. What’s the shorefire?

Dekonick, are you able to get the leave?

Is there any one else thinking of coming?

pbbob
08-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Sorry, I screwed up. We are going to be in west virginia then for a 3 day weekend and I won't make it.
shore fire century.
whiteclaybicycleclub.org ride on the eastern shore from middleton delaware.

Dekonick
08-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Leave is not looking good ... all slots are full - BUT I might be able to get a trade of shift... working on that right now. :banana:

Spectrum Bob
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
As you can see from the sign my wife and daughter made us we had a big send off!!!
Sandy decided to join me and do the metric while I did the full century.
It was great having a friend along!
The weather was cooperative, the roads and rout were great and the scenery was beautiful.
Sandy and I rode most of the way to the first rest stop together. Sandy had some other friends doing the metric that he rode the rest of the way with.
After the first rest stop I made a wrong turn that added an additional 15 miles and an unplanned rest stop for water and an additional hour added on to my saddle time.
I ended with a 17.5 average speed for the ride, made some new friends, enjoyed time with an old friend (Even thou he is going to renege on a bet for a new bike for my wife!!!!!) and had a great day.