PDA

View Full Version : Who spent the winter off the bike?

frenk
02-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi all,

I feel kinda depressed (relatively speaking of course) when I read all the winter base training stuff: this year for several reasons I was forced to stay off the bike for almost two months (also no other kind of training).

I also lost motivation: I couldn't even force myself to read the bike forums I usually enjoy. Looking at the colnago sitting in the corner is almost painful.
Though I'm sure motivation will come back as soon as I resume riding.

I usually train all winter long, but this year I will start this weekend with sub-zero shape... I don't even dare riding with the teammates.
Races start in April, but I want to do well in some events in August.

Just looking for some solidarity :)

WadePatton
02-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Sorry but I've been riding, but I haven't done a race or group ride or much riding at all since I was married and started a new business in 2005. And I got bunged up in a motor crash last fall. So I'm riding, but it's hurting a bit.

She left last year, I got back on the bike. I happier now. Divorce final in March. :bike: Eleven races and several rides on my calendar now. Gonna be a good year. :beer:

pale scotsman
02-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I haven't ridden since September. This (http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/118900170872790.xml&coll=3&thispage=1) hit too close to home and with all the dirtbag addicts around here I just don't feel like it.

Been riding the bike at the gym, my dirtbike in the woods, and working out. That's it. Maybe when spring hits I'll get back out there.

Chris
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I was off more this winter than I ever have been. Don't sweat it. I just skipped all of the ride around easy stuff and the last few weeks have been doing lots of tempo and sweet spot training stuff and things are coming back quickly. Went on a good hard group ride on Saturday and was really surprised how well I rode. I have a good friend who decided to quit cycling. Didn't ride for four months, got an offer to ride for a new team and won the Senior National Championships later that year.

You will be fine. It takes a lot longer to get there than to get back there.

dauwhe
02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Three rides since December 1! I'm loving the break, and have been XC skiing a lot.

After riding through several previous winters, I'm glad I'm taking time off from the bike. I'm sure it will make cycling that much more fun (although I'll likely suffer a bit in the first brevets...)

Dave

frenk
02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I love this forum! :D

swoop
02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
do a google search on 'seasonal affective disorder' and see if anything makes sense.
a little light box time can do wonders... if the shoe fits. and i'm not saying the shoe fits... just nudging you to look and decide for yourself.

Ti Designs
02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Back problems kept me off the bike in December, by early January i was sure it was time to go under the knife. Then it went away - went from being in a hospital bed with severe pains down one leg and two morphine lines to being able to walk overnight. I lost 80% of the strength on the right side, but by mid January I was into rehab and back on the trainer. I'm going to the gym working on regaining strength on one side and just starting base mileage on the fixed gear again.

I've been injured before, I know all too well how much coming back and getting dropped by everybody sucks, but that's what it takes. When I got back on the bike after being out with a broken foot lots of people had a good 'ol time putting the hurt on me. Some people would take that as an excuse to stop showing up, I took it as motivation and told 'em to enjoy it while it lasts.

old_school
02-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Back problems kept me off the bike in December ...

ti,

sorry to hear of your rough season

best wishes towards a speedy recovery

DarrenCT
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I haven't ridden since September. This (http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/118900170872790.xml&coll=3&thispage=1) hit too close to home and with all the dirtbag addicts around here I just don't feel like it.

Been riding the bike at the gym, my dirtbike in the woods, and working out. That's it. Maybe when spring hits I'll get back out there.

ack

sad sorry

i've be tentative to get back on also.

you'll be good to go soon bro

Kevan
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
'suming the rain that's currently falling cats and dogs clears up by tonight. Temps will be scratching the underbelly of 50 degrees and so tomorrow's roads will be wet, but Sunday...oooooo baby!....my pale grey-blue legs might see some sunlight.

Blue Jays
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Frenk, everything goes in cyclical phases. Two months from now you might be inseparable from the bicycle each night after work. I wouldn't sweat it!

:beer:

Tobias
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Just looking for some solidarity :)I must be off the bike for six months; by far the longest ever.
One down, five to go – and counting the days.

At least I can ride a trainer or stationary. :rolleyes:

fixednwinter
02-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Frenk, everything goes in cyclical phases. Two months from now you might be inseparable from the bicycle each night after work. I wouldn't sweat it!

:beer:

I agree with Blue Jays, Frenk: don't beat yourself up, things can change in a matter of months.

For me, my riding time has also been down too. But I've been doing a lot more gym work, more than I've done in years. I love riding (road, fixed, cross) but it's good to reduce the volume sometimes. And when I do ride, I do short rides with hard intervals, followed by lots of recovery. Definitely no burn out.

davids
02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
...I lost 80% of the strength on the right side, but by mid January I was into rehab and back on the trainer. I'm going to the gym working on regaining strength on one side and just starting base mileage on the fixed gear again...So I could maybe keep up with you now?

I'm so sorry to hear about this, and so glad the outcome is so positive!

bnewt07
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Bad weather = MTB
Good weather= road bike

This code keeps me going in the winter. A short foul weather blast on the MTB keeps you fresh and decent fitness.

Spring will however officially begin in 10 days when my new road bike bike arrives from the USA. Yehaaaa

davids
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Bad weather = MTB
Good weather= road bike

This code keeps me going in the winter. A short foul weather blast on the MTB keeps you fresh and decent fitness.Preach it, brother. Amen!

Ginger
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi all,

I feel kinda depressed (relatively speaking of course) when I read all the winter base training stuff: this year for several reasons I was forced to stay off the bike for almost two months (also no other kind of training).

I also lost motivation: I couldn't even force myself to read the bike forums I usually enjoy. Looking at the colnago sitting in the corner is almost painful.
Though I'm sure motivation will come back as soon as I resume riding.

I usually train all winter long, but this year I will start this weekend with sub-zero shape... I don't even dare riding with the teammates.
Races start in April, but I want to do well in some events in August.

Just looking for some solidarity :)

I've been where you are after one or two of my surgeries. It's just so hard to get back on the bike.

You know those teammates that you don't dare ride with? They'll help you if you ask. Contact a few of them, or your other riding buddies and say you've been cleared to ride, but you've got zero miles on the bike...and you'd like a bit of company on your first rides. If they're cool, they'll come out after their training ride or before and spin along with you a bit. They'll be happy to see you back out on a bike.
Really.

DarrenCT
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Preach it, brother. Amen!

look like fun.

where is that?

DarrenCT
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
'suming the rain that's currently falling cats and dogs clears up by tonight. Temps will be scratching the underbelly of 50 degrees and so tomorrow's roads will be wet, but Sunday...oooooo baby!....my pale grey-blue legs might see some sunlight.

might ya at the titicus res.

sat 11am

davids
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
look like fun.

where is that?Otis AFB, I think. I stole it from a mtb forum, 'cause it looks like some of the places I ride. I'm too busy riding to take photos myself!